Notices

Can I get a time frame??

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I get a time frame??

Hi
I was wondering, IF IT IS AT ALL POSSIBLE, to get breakdown of the changes in oneself, physically, emotionally, psychologically, etc, as one goes further along in not drinking. Good changes, bad changes.....just things I can look forward to or be aware of and try to avoid or fight. I mean there were immediate changes, like day 2, waking up and feeling better than I had in years...thats fairly obvious...........

If there is an article someone know about, that would be great also. I excited about trying to quite, Im just hesitant about expecting TOO MUCH......I don't think this will solve ALL my problems, but I wonder if, down deep, I secretly am banking on it......I mean, I HOPE it solves them all, but, I try to keep my feet in reality, so I can avoid the obvious future disappointment.

THanks alont.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gabagool,

I don't have a timeline like the one you're looking for. I can tell you that I'm in recovery (9 days) and I don't think that being sober will not solve all of your problems. However, I think that will put you in a much better position to handle life's problems.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Gab,
I think we are all different in regards to what happens next. I can honestly say that all of my problems have not been solved, but life throws everyone problems and being sober helps me deal with them and take care of them, whereas when I was drinking it was very easy for me to put problems on the back burner and let them fester. As far as depressions and cravings, I don't currently have any issues in that regard, but I have basically been sober since July, aside from a relapse over the Holidays which I needed to make my final decision to quit for good. Just keep doing what your doing and enjoy your new life as much as possible. Sobriety for me hasn't been as much about me changing as a person or changing my way of life, it has been more of an eye opening experience seeing what I have been missing when I was drunk or hungover the past 27 years.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi, and welcome! Like Supercrew says, it's different for everyone. Maybe check in as time goes on . . .I am sure others will relate to how you feel as you go through the recovery process.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Just to echo...it is so different for people. Most people start to get better fairly soon. If people have had sleeping issues, for most of them things get better fairly soon. Other than that there really doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency.

Get some rest. Drink some water. Listen to your body. You will notice a lot of positive changes.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neverenough View Post
Hi Gabagool,

I don't have a timeline like the one you're looking for. I can tell you that I'm in recovery (9 days) and I don't think that being sober will not solve all of your problems. However, I think that will put you in a much better position to handle life's problems.
Sorry, I'm new and haven't figured out how to edit -- I meant to say "I don't think that being sober will solve all of your problems"
Old 02-08-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neverenough View Post
Sorry, I'm new and haven't figured out how to edit -- I meant to say "I don't think that being sober will solve all of your problems"
But it will put you in the right mind frame to deal with them. And in my case drinking was my #1 problem and the cause of many of my others, so I got that out of the way immediately.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gabbagool

there's a lot of irony in recovery I've found - if you were like me you wanted answers, you wanted solutions, you wanted timetables and pie charts...

nope.

I was never one for faith and trust but I found I needed to be. When people said I would be ok so long as I kept going forward I had to believe them....and they were right.

Each of us heals at exactly our own pace - that's the beauty of it. It's such an individual journey.

but...as one man's sign post - under 30 days I was still recovering physically; from 30-60 I began to feel better but had to start to deal with the bigger issues of what got me into alcoholism in the first place (that was an ongoing project lol) and what kind of a life was going to keep me in recovery...

...at 90 I had a few wobbles, but I didn't drink...by 120 I was starting to have a pretty good idea of who sober me was....

by six months I think all the elements of me as I am were pretty much in place, although constant tinkering still ensues

Being sober won't solve many of your problems at all - you'll be sick less and have more money maybe - but the real gift of being sober is how I deal with problems, with relationships, and with life itself now.

I've gone from mono to stereo - from merely existing to really living...with all the good and the bad

I used to worry a lot...now I only worry a little. I have more important things to do with my life.

Recovery taught me that
D
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Being sober won't solve many of your problems at all - you'll be sick less and have more money maybe - but the real gift of being sober is how I deal with problems, with relationships, and with life itself now.D
Awesome Dee!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I feel like about a month and a half is when I had started enjoying my new routine I guess you would say.
I didn't have much as far as physical stuff goes but before then it was fighting the mental cravings on a Friday night or what not because of boredom while trying to figure out new stuff to do with my free time.
Seems for me also around a month and a half is when I crossed the point of no return, with the time sober being another reason to stay sober. After that it didn't feel like I was fighting with myself to not drink and have probably only had a craving 4 or 5 times since but those were easy to squash.
I do think there is an aspect that you probably shouldn't get too hung up on the time just in case it takes longer for you.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with the other posters that the experience is different for each one in terms of a timeline and so forth.

Dee's post really hits the heart of it though and sums up what I definitely have found thus far in my recovery.

I can tell you at over 9 months now in recovery that my life has improved in every way possible. Not perfect and sure as heck not without the same life issues that were present prior to. Difference now is how I see them, handle them and work through them. I couldn't be more grateful for this sober mindset again and not living in the twisted dark hole that I did in the latter years of drinking.

There is light in my life again.

Keep it going.....I found it to be a journey.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you stop drinking you have the opportunity to work on the reasons why you drank in the first place...the more internal work you do on yourself the quicker the external changes will come about for you, not vice versa...
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Heres a timeline for ya.

Tomorrow will be better....
Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
If you stop drinking you have the opportunity to work on the reasons why you drank in the first place...the more internal work you do on yourself the quicker the external changes will come about for you, not vice versa...
What if the reason you drank was because you enjoyed drinking and it's the only way you thought you could have a good time because you did it every weekend for recreation for 27 years? Does there always have to be some internal issue you are dealing with?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
What if the reason you drank was because you enjoyed drinking and it's the only way you thought you could have a good time because you did it every weekend for recreation for 27 years? Does there always have to be some internal issue you are dealing with?
That's a great question. I started drinking because I worked in a pizza restaurant when I was 19 and after closing when we were cleaning up we would crank the radio and hit the keg. And I continued to behave like that for years. I don't have any "my daddy didn't love me" type issues.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

withdrawal stage(1 to 2 weeks): people who drank alcohol in large amounts may have severe withdrawal symptoms. these may include nausea,low energy, anxiety, shakiness, depression, intense emotions, insomnia, irritability, difficulty concentrating and memory problems. these symptoms typically last 3 to 5 days, but can last up to several weeks.

early abstinence (4 weeks; follows withdrawal): for people who used alcohol, this period is marked most by the brain's recovery. although the physical withdrawal symptoms have ended, the client's brain is still getting used to the absence of the substance. thinking may be unclear, concentration may be poor, nervousness and anxiety may be troubling, sleep is often irregular, and, in many ways, life feels too intense.

protracted abstinence (2 to 5 months; follows early abstinence): from six weeks to five months after clients stop using, they may experience a variety of annoying and troublesome symptoms. these symptoms -difficulties with thoughts and feelings- are caused buy the continual healing process in the brain. this period is called 'The Wall'. it is important for clients to be aware that some of the feelings during this period are the result of changes in brain chemistry. if clients remain abstinent, the feelings will pass. the most common symptoms are depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, low energy and a general lack of enthusiasm. clients also may experience strong cravings during protracted abstinence. relapse risk goes up during this period. it is helpful to stay focused on staying abstinent one day at a time. exercise helps tremendously during this period. for most clients, completing this phase in recovery is a major achievement.

readjustment (2 months; follows protracted abstinence):after five months, the brain has recovered substantially. now the client's main task is developing a life that has fulfilling activities that support continued recovery. because cravings occur less often and feel less intense, clients may be less aware of relapse risk and put themselves in high-risk situations and increase their relapse risk.

avoiding relapse drift: relapse does not happen without warning, and it usually does not happen quickly. the gradual movement from abstinence to relapse can be subtle and often underestimated. so it often feels as if it happens suddenly. this slow movement away from abstinence can be compared to a ship gradually drifting away from where it was moored. the drifting movement can be so slow that you don't even notice it.

during recovery, people do specific things that keep them abstinent. these activities can be called "mooring lines". try and see what you are doing to keep yourself abstinent. list the mooring lines in a specific way so they are clear and measurable. these activities are the "ropes" that hold recovery in place and prevent relapse drift from happening without being noticed......

...from a handout someone got at a LifeRing meeting.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

^ That's really helpful and very much mirrors my experience. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really don't think there is a timeline.

There are two things I learned early in recovery - one is patience, the other is that more will be revealed.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks to all, really. I KNOW certain parts of my life will get better...actually, ALL parts of my life will get better if I don't drink....I think that fairly obvious.

My biggest problem is going to work. I own a few restaurants, all with bars, and I spend my day, feeding people food and booze. Its always around, it never goes away. THe hospitality industry has the HIGHEST RATE OF DRUG AND ALCOHOL ABUSE OF ANY INDUSTRY IN THE NATION (according to NRN, it was at 33%, and all I got to say is that is a lie........it is MUCH higher than that)
I am surrounded by a lot of people who use alcohol for the same escape as I was........its tough, let me tell you.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Yeah, that would be tough, gab........ Maybe check in here and read a few posts before going to the restaurant.....

When you get there, grab a cranberry and tonic. Take some deep breaths.

Think of yourself as an ambassador for recovery. Walk proudly!

Send positive/healing thoughts or prayers to those at the bar.

When all else fails, get out of there!

You're doing great so far - keep up the good work......

(Cabledude - that was an awesome summary - thanks)