Just a Little Update

Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a Little Update

Sooo things are going pretty well in general. My daughter is just shy of 5 mo. clean, still at the sober living, and started at Paul Mitchell (cosmetology) full time a couple of weeks ago.
I have been continuing to work my program every day and I even have a new little buddy that goes with me, my sons girlfriend, who grew up with major addiction issues in her home..it has brought us so much closer together.

My husband and I will be at the 22 year mark in March..we are both ready for some midlife crisis fun, but alas are too broke after all the rehabs and sober living...ahh well..keeps me outta trouble i guess!
I "alanoned" my son last year and told him he was a big boy(20) and could live on his own..lo and behold he is still working 2 jobs, has saved a ton of money and now wants to go to lineman school in the fall.

I am still recovering from my shoulder surgery and sleeping in a sling is the opposite of awesome...

I still stuggle ALOT with how I want my daughter and my relationship to be..she is still bad about calling back,pretty self centered , and can be flaky..granted she is 19 as well as in early recovery, but I still get my feelings hurt. I have to hold myself back from calling alot, sending her little gifts and cards etc.. working on wanting stuff for me.. not her!

I have to monitor myself pretty carefully, but it has become second nature to question my own behavior.Things have moved from my head to my heart.

Tonight I am going to have a way too expensive dinner with my son, his girlfriend, my mom, and my husband at a resteraunt here that has been written about in Sunset magazine..life is good today.. and that's due to my program, people at meetings, and people here..so big thanks..
Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tam

keepinon, so glad to read that things are generally going good for you and that everyone is working their recovery program ...
now go out and "fill you plate" with some good stuff tonight and enjoy,you deserve it!!
feel better too
Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Keep))) - I think you are doing awesome. Go out, enjoy that dinner..you deserve it!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tonight I am going to have a way too expensive dinner with my son, his girlfriend, my mom, and my husband at a resteraunt here that has been written about in Sunset magazine..life is good today.. and that's due to my program, people at meetings, and people here..so big thanks..
This sounds wonderful keepinon.
You deserve a big hug.
You have really been working this hard.

Beth
Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

keepinon
I am so glad to hear that things are going well. Enjoy every minute of it! You've been through a lot and you deserve some YOU time!
Lots and lots of gentle hugs
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dinner was amazing..at the end I realized we hadn't mentioned my RAD one time..the focus was soley on who was present at the table..it's been a loooong time since that has happened and it was a big deal to me because I got to give my son the attention her deserves...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

keepinon,

Thanks for the wonderful update.

My 27 yr old daughter, who doesn't struggle w/addiction, is a handfull all by herself. I have to remember to let her handle her own life.

I just identified with sooo much of what your short post said. Thanks again.