Notices

I new someday I would end up here

Old 02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I new someday I would end up here

Hello all, I stumbled upon this site 4 days ago while "searching" recovery and alcoholism on the net. I have known for many years I needed to quit (for good). It felt comforting seeing all the members on this forum, I can see myself here alot. I have quit for 9 months at a time, 6 months at a time, and then back at it. My last drink was 10-22-10, dry, with no aa meetings.......yet. I feel better today after not drinking for 3 and a half months and i think more clearly and life is better than when I was drinking. Have any of you noticed a better quality of life after quiting drinking? I look forward to digging in here on the forums.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
Hello all, I stumbled upon this site 4 days ago while "searching" recovery and alcoholism on the net. I have known for many years I needed to quit (for good). It felt comforting seeing all the members on this forum, I can see myself here alot. I have quit for 9 months at a time, 6 months at a time, and then back at it. My last drink was 10-22-10, dry, with no aa meetings.......yet. I feel better today after not drinking for 3 and a half months and i think more clearly and life is better than when I was drinking. Have any of you noticed a better quality of life after quiting drinking? I look forward to digging in here on the forums.
When I first quit drinking, I started to feel physically better (after detox). But I also noticed that my mental state-- the restlessness, anxiety, anger, frustration, hostility, impatience, rage-- got worse than ever. It was explained to me that I was simply dry, that those characteristics were my true alcoholism, and that now that I no longer had my medicine, the underlying causes were flaring up.

So I needed to work the program of AA to alleviate the underlying symptoms.

Welcome!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Triumphguy)))) - welcome to SR!!

Alcohol wasn't my "thing", I'm a recovering crack addict. I, too, got clean for months at a time, but relapsed and sunk to an even lower level. I finally decided I couldn't do that anymore, and it's been almost 4 years.

SR has been a huge part of my recovery. There are people here who understand, who have been on everything and anything, but our stories are similar. My life has it's ups and downs, but I love that I have gotten through some great and not-so-great stuff and my first reaction was "go to SR", not go out and use.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, TG! Welcome to SR. My life is immeasurably better, and I have less time than you. Best of all I have a sense of both freedom and hope.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Triumphguy

Yeah my life got a lot better - but I worked at it too...

I really wanted this to work...drinking sure didn't
D
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Glad you are here
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Yes, it would be an understatement to say my life improved when I began recovery.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Keep reading.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Triumphguy! Welcome. My life has been better since I started recovery 9+ months ago. It hasn't always been easy and quitting didn't instantaneously clear up all my problems, but yes, I absolutely have a better quality of life now.

Keep posting!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi and welcome triumphguy,
my life is totally different today than it would have been if l had kept drinking
l have the love and respect of my family, a job l love and all of those good feelings..hope, selfworth, self-respect, but l worked hard in my recovery. l put sobriety before everything else in my life in the early days but the effort was sooo worthwhile, l just did whatever l had to to not pick up the first drink.

Though no-one can go back and make a new start,
anyone can start from now and make a new ending.
Carl Bard.