Notices

New to forum

Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum

After a long period of denial I find myself here. I feel really good about this choice, but I know it's going to require a lot of support & strength. I'm so glad this is here...
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support here. Read around. Ask questions where you want. Many people use SR as our main source of recovery. Some use it to supplement another program. A lot have found success.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Feeling good about your choice is so important—at least it was for me. I realized I was not just giving up alcohol, but actually gaining so much. That realization was really crucial for me; thanks for reminding me with your post. Hope this forum helps you as much as it's helped me!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your welcomes. I am praying I find success, too. Heaven knows I can't keep doing this.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi T2B, welcome to SR you've found a great place. Hope you read a lot and post often.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome tryingtobloom. You will definitely find a lot of support here. I knew I had issues with alcohol for years before I quit. I had to find a way to live life without drinking. That is where recovery came in. Simply not drinking, for me, was almost as miserable as drinking. I would do great in the first week because I felt (physically) so much better. But along would come a day that wasn't going my way, or I didn't get the raise at work I thought I deserved, or my wife was not treating me in a way I thought she should, and on and on and on I could go - the idea of drinking would always sound like a good idea at some point...

That is when I would say "it will be different this time". I'd try and control my drinking, while drinking... the result was always the same - I'd drink much more than I planned on, guilt, shame, and remorsfullnes would consume me, then I drank to numb those feelings. And around and around I'd go...

Not sure if you are were I was, but I'm convinced we must have a plan of action in place (recovery) for us to exist in this world without the need to drink. I can't stop myself from having the 3ed, 7th, 10th, and 15th drink - but I can control having the first. Without the first, there is no 3ed, 7th, or 10th. The recovery program I chose was AA.

I wish you the best. We can all get better, a little at a time!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR trying2bloom

D
Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're here, T2B - I wasn't sure when I first posted here if I could get sober, but I found out that it was not only possible, but life is so much better now. We all need lots of support to do it -so keep coming here and consider other resources too (AA, SMART, outpatient, inpatient, etc).

Take it a day at a time and if you think you will have a problem with withdrawal, see a doctor for help too - things will really get better!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome trying2bloom! Love your name. SR is a tremendous asset when getting sober and its a great group of people
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thank you so very much for your welcome. Lots of wise words and support here. Tonight is my first night sober in a real long time & I feel really good about it. Thank you all so much.