Notices

tell my boss about my outpatient rehab?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tell my boss about my outpatient rehab?

I've decided to enter a six week outpatient alcohol rehab program. Ordinarily, a person probably wouldn't need to tell their employer. However, there are two reasons that I do have to tell.
1. I need to leave work early (30 minutes) every day for 6 weeks.
2. I travel for work. I can miss one or two days of the program b/c of travel but within a six week time frame, I travel much more than that.

How do I tell my boss and HR that I need these concessions for 6 weeks? Do I come out and say "I'm an alcoholic seaking treatment"? Do I simply say "I'm struggling with personal health issues and plan to attend an outpatient program to address them"?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, I would definitely say nothing about being an alcoholic. It sure be more than enough to say that you are need some time to deal with personal issues and let it go at that. You're not asking for a lot of time off, so it doesn't seem like it should be a big deal.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm an HR manager and I think you should be completely honest with your employer, you are protected by employment laws IF and only if your employer knows what is wrong with you. If your employer has more than 50 employees you are covered under the Family Medical Leave (FMLA) policy and you should take advantage of this and fill out the paperwork, it PROTECTS you so that your employer can not fire you for missing so much work.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would get the policies and procedures manual for your company and read it thoroughly. Most companies are quite supportive of people facing personal crises, but HOW you handle it, within the context of your company protocol, is crucial. Make certain you know your rights as an employee, and you are very clear on your company's rights. Give only as much information as is required by your company to do what you need to do. Speak to as few people in order to put things in place as possible.

If you company has no policy on such things, call your Outpatient program, or a Recovery Hotline to find out more about your rights under the law.

Your outpatient program can also give you guidelines as to what information to share and when. Do NOT tell co-workers (even ones you think you can trust) what you are doing. They do not need to know. Once you have gone through your program, you will know better how to navigate co-worker waters.

ETA: Cross posted with Jam up there. I'd listen to her.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Silly, congrats on having the courage to do this. Take care of yourself first and foremost, because without sobriety your job can quickly become a secondary concern. Been there, and it's not fun being not just unemployed, but unemployable. Fortunately I now have sobriety and truly feel like my potential is better than it ever was.

Thanks for the replies. I am currently unemployed and stressing about how to explain my 12 months off, despite a great education and resume. It seems a fine line to walk between honesty and unnecessary disclosure. Being the alcoholic I am, naturally I spend more time worrying about this than is warranted. But its all good, I feel justifiably optimistic about the future.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I'm an HR manager and I think you should be completely honest with your employer, you are protected by employment laws IF and only if your employer knows what is wrong with you. If your employer has more than 50 employees you are covered under the Family Medical Leave (FMLA) policy and you should take advantage of this and fill out the paperwork, it PROTECTS you so that your employer can not fire you for missing so much work.
From what I understand, I can tell them I'm experiencing significant health issues and it's been recommended that I participate in a 6 week treatment program to address the issues. give work limitations (i.e. I have to leave by 4:30 for six weeks, I cannot travel for 6 weeks) and then if they need more information, they will ask for it.
Is that not true?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You do NOT have to give any details. Look at the HIPaa laws. I work in HR as well. HIPaa is Health Information Privacy act. It is a personal call for you. I have worked at the same place for 30 yrs and am close with my boss..but if that were not the case I would NOT tell them I was alcoholic. It is nobodys business but your own. We have people submit a return to work dr slip but they don't HAVE to have any details.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

If needed, your doctor only needs to write something up that you need the accommodation due to a 'medical condition'. You don't necessarily have to provide a diagnosis, unless you're filing for disability of some sort (you aren't.).

Go to HR, you don't need to say you're going to an outpatient program of any sort. Just say you're experiencing some medical/personal issues, and that you'll need xyz accomodations for x amount of time, and if needed you can provide some information (very general information) from your doctor. They shouldn't flinch at it really.. especially if it's a larger company and you've been there a while (two things that matter when it comes to FMLA leave of any type).
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you are requesting FMLA leave (which you should to protect your job) you should have to submit medical certification requesting the leave from a physician or other medical practioner, the standard FMLA forms require a diagnosis and the employer can deny the FMLA leave w/o a legitimate diagnosis. You can certainly try to get the leave w/o a diagnosis but most businesses I know of would and should deny the leave under FMLA w/o a diagnosis.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a thought here but if you have a drinking problem that has led you to treatment, dont you think your employer already knows? Honesty goes a long way in recovery. Just sayin...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
If you are requesting FMLA leave (which you should to protect your job) you should have to submit medical certification requesting the leave from a physician or other medical practioner, the standard FMLA forms require a diagnosis and the employer can deny the FMLA leave w/o a legitimate diagnosis. You can certainly try to get the leave w/o a diagnosis but most businesses I know of would and should deny the leave under FMLA w/o a diagnosis.
Given that I'm still working every day of the week (and 8 hours at that), I don't plan to apply for FMLA. If FMLA will be an important factor in the fact that I can't travel, then I'll follow through on that.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No diagnosis. Just a return to work slip. WAY different policies for sure. I have to totally agree with Smacked on this one..I work for a very large Cooperative.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Just a thought here but if you have a drinking problem that has led you to treatment, dont you think your employer already knows? Honesty goes a long way in recovery. Just sayin...
I'm putting myself into treatment. There's no obligation from a court order, family intervention or any other outside pressure.
I would think that if someone at my firm suspected, they'd have reported it to my boss or HR. However, if they have suspected and confront me about it, I'll handle it at that time.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FMLA can protect you while you take intermittent time off. It's different than straight up continuous time off (not working at all) for a Medical Leave. I believe your employer is required by law to offer you this if your needs include intermittent time off documented by a medical provider.

Also, if your employer is aware of your diagnosis and you complete treatment your job will likely be protected under ADA laws should you (heaven forbid) relapse and require more treatment. There are also some protections for the employer under the ADA as far as accomodation goes, but the ADA is something all employed alcoholic/addicts should be aware of.

HIPAA has more to do with protecting people against insurance companies denying coverage for pre-existing conditions.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks everyone

My boss and I just spoke. He's very supportive and didn't ask questions beyond the info I provided.
He's going to talk to HR to make sure I'm protected under FMLA because although I'll still be working 40 hours per week, I cannot travel as my job requires. His words were though, "I want you to be protected". He also said he didn't think I needed to give HR anymore information than I'd given him.

What a feeling of warmth and relief!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
Silly, congrats on having the courage to do this. Take care of yourself first and foremost, because without sobriety your job can quickly become a secondary concern. Been there, and it's not fun being not just unemployed, but unemployable. Fortunately I now have sobriety and truly feel like my potential is better than it ever was.

Thanks for the replies. I am currently unemployed and stressing about how to explain my 12 months off, despite a great education and resume. It seems a fine line to walk between honesty and unnecessary disclosure. Being the alcoholic I am, naturally I spend more time worrying about this than is warranted. But its all good, I feel justifiably optimistic about the future.
Do you have children, Eddiebuckle? If so, you could explain a year's break in unemployment due to being an at home parent. I'm not one to lie but I also think it's important to move on and get that new job.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow.....
Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silly View Post
Do you have children, Eddiebuckle? If so, you could explain a year's break in unemployment due to being an at home parent. I'm not one to lie but I also think it's important to move on and get that new job.
I don't have children (and my non-existent children are probably grateful to have not been party to my previous lifestyle). Thanks for the suggestiion, my attitude is that my worklife going forward will have to co-exist with my recovery. Any position that would require half-truths for me to get the job probably would not be good for me in the long term anyway.

Good luck with rehab Silly. It will be a challenge but worth it - admitting myself into treatment was the best thing I've ever done. Four things you should bring to rehab: honesty, openess, willingness, and above all else teachability. The rest will fall into place if you have those four.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through that and feel some relief now.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
I don't have children (and my non-existent children are probably grateful to have not been party to my previous lifestyle). Thanks for the suggestiion, my attitude is that my worklife going forward will have to co-exist with my recovery. Any position that would require half-truths for me to get the job probably would not be good for me in the long term anyway.

Good luck with rehab Silly. It will be a challenge but worth it - admitting myself into treatment was the best thing I've ever done. Four things you should bring to rehab: honesty, openess, willingness, and above all else teachability. The rest will fall into place if you have those four.
Thanks! I'll remember those four tools. I agree with the honesty part. I only meant that if you did have children, you were doing a job at the time. I have friends who have been looking for work for 1+ years, sober friends, who often tell employers they'd choosen to stay home during that time b/c it seems to be received better than "I can't find a job". Know what I mean?
Anyway, good luck to you!