Notices

Having high anxiety after 24 days sober

Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having high anxiety after 24 days sober

I posted on here awhile back, probably 8 months or so ago because I finally told my doctor I wanted to quit drinking. I was drinking between 6-8 beers a night for about 5 years. His first recommendation was to go to an impatiant treatment center which I was not excited about, so I passed. Then on Dec 31 my wife had to have emergency surgery because of an eptopic pregnancy. This was my wake up call, never had any negative consequences except weight gain with drinking. After this happened to my wife, my anxiety sky rocketed, but I didn't increase my drinking. I went to my doctor on 1/11/2011 and told him I am ready to stop and again he recommended impatiant treatment, and this time I agreed. I really didn't think I needed impatiant, but I had high blood pressure and very high anxiety. So I went and detoxed there and spent 7 days in the center. It was actually somewhat comforting because it was like a big safe zone and I shared a lot of the same problems (anxiety wise) with everyone. I was questioned by a few people why I was there with my limited drinking, as most people there were a case a day people.

I was discharged after 7 days when they usually keep people an average of 3 weeks, but I believe this was because of my progress and drinking pattern. After discharged I was enrolled in an intensive outpatient program that was to start the same day I was discharged. In my first IOP meeting, I was attacked by the others on why I was there and that I didn't have a problem. The conselor attempted to intervene, but it was a very hostile enviroment. I didnt go back and I felt like I just wasted all my time and money in the center.

Now, I am 24 days sober, and I feel good, but still am experience high anxiety. When I was first discharged, I was given a 30 day perscription for campral, but didn't take it. I slept fine, had no cravings, but still was anxious. After about 10 days out (17 days sober) I decided to fill the perscription and take the campral which seems to be helping with the anxiety. My question is, does the anxiety go away or should I seek additional help with that? I still don't know if I am experience some PAWS or if I truly need to get help with the anxiety.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi Ryan. Glad you are here.

My anxiety did go away with sobriety...but that's me. Others will be along with more experience w/Campral.

As you know....keep reading and keep coming back!