Notices

set a date! it has worked for me..

Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

set a date! it has worked for me..

Hello..I am an alcoholic. Once I admitted it, it was time to set a date. I always told myself and others that I wasn't an alcoholic but that I was a problem drinker, and the problem was once I started I couldn't stop, and I would binge drink. Once I started noticing the changes in the way I felt, and every time I drank it seemed I passed xout, I had to admit that I was an alcoholic. I have two children and didn't want to leave them alone if I died due to alcohol. I started getting scared of my addiction, so I set a date. I set a date to stop drinking, giving me two weeks with my friend ( which was my bottle). My date was March 1st 2010. I drank every drop I could before that date..and as of March 1st 2010 I have not taken another drink. I never thought I could, but I believe setting the date helped me prepare myself mentally and allowed me time to say goodbye to a long time friend. Since then its been a breeze. Good luck to us all!!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your upcoming year frantic
Welcome to SR

Setting a date never worked well for me tho...I usually got so drunk working up to it I either missed the day entirely or I felt so sick I 'needed' a drink.

I think probably the best date to set is 'today'.
D
Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did that a couple years ago...kind of. My dr started me on Paxil and told me not to drink while i was on it. So, I set a date that I was going to start taking it, and drank as much as I wanted to before then. Once that date game though, I was still drinking O'douls for months...like 6 or 7. But, I didn't drink anything else. Then, one day, I just gave that up and went back to regular stuff.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HEY!! Your only a month away from a whole year!

Congratulations!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great!

I do think that there is a grieving process involved in giving up alcohol.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, frantic - a most unusual story, but so glad it worked for you. I set a date too, and was tapering - it worked for 3-4 days, but the night before my quit I went on a binge. The next day I signed up for this forum, so I guess I did manage to keep my quit date....... Still, I drank when I hadn't intended to and ended up having a worse time on day 1.

Glad you're here and hope you stick around - it's a great place!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow frantic, good for you.

My longest and most successful quit with cigarettes (almost two years) was done by setting a date, then doing things like switching brands, announcing I was quitting, keeping butts in a glass of water (yuck) and stuff like that. It was a program set out by the American Lung Association and worked pretty well, although I did relapse later.