Notices

I can't stop

Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't stop

I first found SR in November.

I stopped posting. But I have been reading. and reading. and reading.

I just can't stop drinking.

As U2 said, "If I could, I would, let it go."

I will continue to read. Thank you all.

-SD
Old 02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Have you considered trying AA? It has been known to help people when nothing else seemed to work.

Reading the posts here hasn't worked so far for you--maybe it's time to try something different.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back!

I always find inspiration here when I read around the forums.

Try to not get overwhelmed with thinking about forever, and just focus on not drinking today.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sd

I wondered what was happening with you.

I think for most of us it's pretty clear cut, really.

If you can stop on your own, you do that, a day a time and then think about support to maintain it.

If you can't...then you need help and support now mate - be it your Dr, a counsellor, a recovery group like AA or SMART or whatever, or some kind of inpatient or outpatient rehab.

Reach out and do something. Do it now.
I know you'll get me when I say a life's a terrible thing to waste

good luck, mate - I hope you'll keep posting too
D
Old 02-02-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi - I read and read like you for a few months before I decided to quit. I got a plan together opened up fully to my doctor and said this is where I am at help me to make a plan. And it has now been over 40 days and I think it is the best thing I have ever done. I used to think I could never ever stop. wow was I wrong, with some planning, support it can work. thinking of you and look forward to hearing from you again.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I can't stop once I start either.... The thing I can do is stop starting. That's where recovery begins. The most insane thing I've even done is to continue to start and expecting the results to be different. I tried changing what I drank, where I drank, what time a drank, and who I drank with. The results where always the same, I end up drunk, then hungover, then felt bad about myself, then needed a drink to deal with those feelings - take the first drink, trigger the physical craving, and off I went.

The only defense we have against booze is not drinking the first drink. The only way I can not drink is if I have a plan of action. That action plan for me, is recovery. I tried changing my diet, my exercise program, my geographic location, my friends, my hobbies, and those changes helped briefly in some cases. But eventually I'd find a reason to have that first drink. We must find a way to live in this world without taking that first drink. Again, that is where the madness stops and the recovery begins...
Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

Alcohol is the most difficult thing I've ever had to deal with.

I mean it. And only you wonderful people here understand.

-SD
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey there sds...great to see you back on SR. Sorry that you are having difficulity. Nobody will judge you here. I still rememer you talking aout your weekends with your son when you were sober. You sounded sooo happy.

Come on back and post with your old friends from the November class...we would be very happy to see you on board again!! You hae been missed!! The thread has moved to "Newcomers Daily Support Threads"

ttys...

Carlos
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi SD,

Welcome back! I missed your previous posts in Nov. and Dec. because I was on hiatus....er relapsed. But I have been back on track since late Dec. I was reading through your posts and I really thought that you might be a good friend who I started drinking with about 27 years ago here in SD, who I lost touch with within the last year, but he doesn't have a 6 year old son. Anyways welcome back, and if you ever need anything feel free to PM me. I know some of the AA's in SD, although I don't swing that way, but I do feel that we might have alot of things in common.

Good Luck!! You can do it!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sdsurfn2011 View Post
Thank you all.

Alcohol is the most difficult thing I've ever had to deal with.

I mean it. And only you wonderful people here understand.

-SD
FYI, you're still cool if you admit this... no... more cool. Actually, it takes someone with stones to admit powerlessness. How can you overcome difficulties if you don't recognize them? That's why we rock!

I have a lot of respect for you taking a hard look at yourself.

FiFi and I are best friends. I tell her everything. After ten years we talk like middle school BFFs still. BUT, only in the rooms, and mediums like this, can I feel understood. Y'all get me! LOL!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I couldn't stop on my own, and while website support is helpful for me, in my case I needed more than that. I encourage you to look at all options, and to not feel as if you can't post. The site is help and support for those who are struggling, it would be defeating the purpose if it weren't, and we all had it together.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back from a fellow San Diegan! Actually you and I are also the same age, and so are our kids. Like looking in a mirror...and it just reinforces that if I can do it, you can do it. As for how...I think Dee already said it better than I could.

Glad you posted again!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd suggest trying something different this time if what you're doing now isn't working. It IS possible to stop and stay sober - I'm proof of that! And I was a chronic relapser so if I can do it, anyone can. Give it your best effort, your life is worth it.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey SD, good to see you posting again...you've been missed my man. I hope you get the help you need to beat this thing. Please keep us updated on how things are going and, like Carlos said, pop in on the class of Nov. once on a while. You are, after all, one of the founding members. Take care SD!!!

Coop
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sdsurfn2011 View Post
I first found SR in November.

I stopped posting. But I have been reading. and reading. and reading.

I just can't stop drinking.

As U2 said, "If I could, I would, let it go."

I will continue to read. Thank you all.

-SD
You and I both are in the same boat I fell of the wagon big time yesterday, fell off and then was run over by the wagon all I can say is we must keep trying and fighting the good fight, keep the faith brother....or sister.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Glad you're still reading And glad you know we understand. That being said, many of us in this community are proof against your statement that you "can't stop". Yes you can. Many of us thought the same thing.. many of us did the work it took to change that thought into "I can, and I will". Where that change happens, I'm not sure.. but it does when we're ready. I'm glad you're hanging around here!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I tried AA a few years ago but didn't get a sponsor, didn't work the steps.

I'm scared enough now to go back.

I took a drink Tuesday night and didn't stop until last night.

Missed work. Again. I'm barely hanging on to my job. I'm scared that if I lose my job I'll really go off the deep end.

For the first time in my drinking career, I am scared.

-SD
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There's no magic solution to drinking by reading this web site. You need to do something more than read. You said you tried AA but.... That's like saying you did your almost. Go back to AA and give it a serious effort this time. And there's no reason to be afraid of returning. 90% of the people in the room didn't make it the first time they tried. You'll be in good company, believe me.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

SD -

It sounds like you may be an alcoholic. Do you think you are?

It also sounds like you're unable to stop drinking on your own. Do you think this is true?

If you've answered yes to both question, then I've got great news for you. There is a solution out there that will remove the obssesion from you.

It's called AA, but you have to put the work into it and actually do what is suggested.

You never have to drink again. We can and do recover and I'm living proof, but I'm not special. It can work for you too.

Your move.

Kjell
Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

When you're in a hole, the very best thing to do is stop digging Surfn.
I know you're scared - but the best thing to do is to get help now - and stop the madness.

I promise it won't be worse that what you've been through lately

D