Notices

Shrinks?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shrinks?

Hi all - hope everyone is doing well. I am almost at 3 months, and have been doing really well, except lately I find I have been an emotional wreck where anxiety/depression seems to be hitting me harder than I am used to.

I was able to schedule an apt with a shrink for next Monday just to see if there is anything I can do to curb the downer feelings. I think in the past I might have enjoyed relaxing with a glass of vino, but I haven't been able to find that relaxing feeling for a few weeks now and it is getting frustrating.

I want to avoid using some prescription drugs, so ahead of time, is there other people who have experienced the same things (alcohol related or otherwise) in the first three months, and what might you have done to curb the downers?

I'm exercising daily, I don't get out enough though --- but in the dead of winter in Canada the sun is barely up, and you can't sit outside in -30* weather.

arrrghhhh. thanks for listening.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can already tell you what the shrink is going to do... pushes pills towards you. I was also very against taking anti-depressants in the beginning when I was a trainwreck, I told myself I would drown myself in the bottle before I became some zombie, well thank God I changed my attitude on that. The anti's work well now for me. You mind as well give them a shot, the worst thing that could happen is they work...
Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not all shrinks push pills...I would worry about one that leapt for the prescription pad first. Ask the doctor about seasonal depression...many people, especially in the north, are effected. A big help can be had by taking vitamin d or getting a sunlamps.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on anti-d's for many years. They couldn't work as they should while I was drinking a depressant - duh! Now that I'm sober they work very well and my depression is manageable. Anti-d's are not benzos and can be very helpful if your depression is long lasting or severe. Don't dismiss them without trying them first if the doctor thinks they might help. Mine sure help me.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was on Anti-D's for 4 years = Effexor daily with Lorazapam at night. I went off everything last year - which was a nightmare for me (Think Trainspotting baby scene). I must admit however, that while on them they worked very well and never experienced real downers (like I have had of late) ---- I was hoping when I stopped drinking that maybe my mood would lighten up, and although much has - I am also able to identify when the downers come and for how long - because I am not drowning them with a drink, etc...

So the last 3 months have been an excellent analysis for me. I'm not opposed to going back on meds, but I would certainly prefer not to. What I was hoping for is perhaps a pill (like a lorazapam) that I could take when the onset of a depressive mood strikes - as opposed to being on something permanently - this way I can control my own intake.

I suppose I will find out more - it is nothing severe for anyone to worry about, so I appreciate the helpful ideas.

I do agree with seasonal depression as a possibility (and work LOL all year), I used to live in Sweden (as a bartender to boot), and during the winter months there, there was no sun at all during the day ---- that was really bad!! and you can imagine how business picked up - for all the wrong reasons.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How about one of those sun lights? I have heard they're amazing. I have a friend who worked at amazon.com in Seattle. She said they all got sun lights and people started telling jokes, going on dates, laughing more. Seriously!

I have also found enormous peace of mind by trying to give up controlling the world (step 3 at AA). I'm no expert, but very hopeful that my saddest days are behind me.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a philips blulight, it does nothing for mood but helps regulate sleep cycles.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post

What I was hoping for is perhaps a pill (like a lorazapam) that I could take when the onset of a depressive mood strikes - as opposed to being on something permanently - this way I can control my own intake.
Take a look at that a little... could it be that you want a pill replacement for that "glass of vino" when you want/need to relax? .... I could not control my own intake of a med like lorazepam in a sensible manner, hell before long, well, you get the idea...

If I were to consider a med, I would want one I take every day, not "as needed", and has very little in the way of any discernible effect or buzz, but rather works in the background... and one that I could stop relatively easily at some point in the future...

However, this will be between you and your shrink... Be sure to tell him about your alcoholism!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms (PAWS) often increase at three months. I do see a shrink, but no pills. It has helped to be able to talk openly and honestly with someone that will not cosign my ca-ca, but it was not a complete solution. What worked the best for me was getting engaged with something. Getting a real connection with something keeps me out of self pity.

AA is big on service work, and helping others is a good way to get engaged in a process that makes you feel good about yourself. However, other things will work as long as it is engaging, and it is value driven, and not just a distraction.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Take a look at that a little... could it be that you want a pill replacement for that "glass of vino" when you want/need to relax? .... I could not control my own intake of a med like lorazepam in a sensible manner, hell before long, well, you get the idea...

If I were to consider a med, I would want one I take every day, not "as needed", and has very little in the way of any discernible effect or buzz, but rather works in the background... and one that I could stop relatively easily at some point in the future...

However, this will be between you and your shrink... Be sure to tell him about your alcoholism!!
excellent heads up - but in my case it is not an issue. I was not an "over the top drinker" - my problem was that i needed to have it every day, but never more than 2 or 3 (well maybe sometimes).

As for Lorazapam -- I still have a full bottle of about 30 pills from last year, so I don't think I am inclined to take them. I keep them because every so often I might need one if I'm on the plane and I don't get an Aisle seat, and I am stuck on the inside and there is a "heavy set" person blocking me in - this is quite traumatic for me.

I also took one about 3 weeks ago for an axiety hit, it was pretty bad. I guess it worked, I can never really feel it (perhaps the dossage is very low - 1 mg). I used to take 1/2 pill every night before bed, as I suffer from Tinnitus and at night (especially if I dont have a fan) it is the worst.

But I am cognizant of all addictions -- they scare me, so I am mnetioning this, and, when I read up on Lorazapam it is apparently very addictive, so i am a little mroe scared of it now.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And that's why this is really between you, your physician and God... To thine own self, be true!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wish you well at your appt. Counseling is a huge piece of my recovery plan and I am not on any medication. What we discuss and work on are issues in my life - past and present that I struggle with.

Everyone has a different experience depending on their experience but for me counseling has been tremendous and has helped me improve all areas of my life.

Good on you for seeking support!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kmber2010 View Post
Wish you well at your appt. Counseling is a huge piece of my recovery plan and I am not on any medication. What we discuss and work on are issues in my life - past and present that I struggle with.

Everyone has a different experience depending on their experience but for me counseling has been tremendous and has helped me improve all areas of my life.

Good on you for seeking support!
yup, i just need a good medical opinion.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
And that's why this is really between you, your physician and God... To thine own self, be true!!
I was put on anti-depressants when I sobered up in rehab because the counselors thought I was going to hurt myself. I am glad I was on them for the first two months but I weened myself off of them because I don't want to have to take a pill every day if i don't have to. I think a lot of the depression for me was caused by just learning how to live without drugs.. It wasn't easy, especially when I weened myself off I was close to relapsing a couple times but called my sponsor and other people in AA.

I guess I lean towards the more holistic approach, but at the same time I never had depression before I started using and I don't have anything in my life that should make me depressed. I think anti depressants are useful to an extent but I believe some people go to them for an easier, softer way.

At the end of the day there's no shame in using a medicine that's non addictive and prescribed by a medical doctor if it will help you stay sober.

Pray on it! the right answer will come.