Notices

Cant seem to quit! What do I do??

Old 02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant seem to quit! What do I do??

Ok, i am new here, been drinking since 15 years old. Wich makes it 25 years. Last year i was drinking 12 to 18 beers a night. Started seeing a therapist for marriage counceling, so I quit for a month. Now i am back up to 6 a night. i know i dont need to drink it, but such a habit. i stop on way home from work and get a 24 oz. Then stop at another stop get 2 more and chew the fat with a friend. thats pretty much it. 6 beers a night. But i want to be able to stop or only drink on weekends, and if i do 6 max!! Ugh!!! Ugh!! LOL!! just got to figure out a way to stop!!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So it just feels like I need to have the beer. If I dont have it I feel like i am missing out on something. I grew up in a life where u were suppose to drink, if U didnt something was wrong with you. Even today, if I hang out with people and dont have a drink they look at me like there is something wrong, like I am a spie or something, LOL!!! I want to stop completely but feel like I am missing something and everything revolves around alcohol! if u meet a friend its like lets go out for a drink, if I go out with anyone it seems to be the same thing, lets have a drink! UGH!! Todays society revolves around alcohol so bad!! They should outlaw it! LOL!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

If you're not an alcoholic then you should have no problem controlling your drinking.

If you are an alcoholic, then stopping drinking is the only choice. I think that changing your routines can really help so you might try going home from work a different way. You'll find lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

If you're not an alcoholic then you should have no problem controlling your drinking.

If you are an alcoholic, then stopping drinking is the only choice.
This, pretty much. Alcoholics can't sucessfully "only drink on weekends" or otherwise control how much, how often or how many they drink.

If your friends think there's something wrong with you because you choose not to drink every time you get together with them, then a change of friends and routine is in order, if you want to quit.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know, but its hard. if I really wanted to I could quit for a month, but after that I start to get bored and get that itch again!! It is so hard, its all over tv, the news, Its like they force it on us. make it seem normal to drink! Especially with all the comercials for beer!! But I want to quit, its just that I am scared that i am gonna miss something, what it is I dont know!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will need to learn how to cope with your craving of alcohol. It's up to you if you want to only drink on the weekends. Instead of stopping at the store to buy a 24oz why don't you join a gym and get in shape. It's a good way to get your drinking habit under control. This way you will stop at the gym instead of the store to buy alcohol.

Set goals for yourself and stick through it. If you don't want to do on a weekdays and only on weekends then punch yourself when you don't follow through. Example would be, I don't want from Monday through Friday but if I do then I will shave one of my eyebrow. I know it may sound silly but doing this will help you to cope with your habits and keep you more sober. The longer you stay sober and stay in control the more you will have control of your life and how you action a pone them.

Welcome to S.R.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vauto View Post
i know i dont need to drink it
Yes you do. Alcoholics have lost power, choice and control.

Otherwise, we'd all quit, and there'd really be no need for AA, rehabs, or the SoberRecovery website, ya know?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Does self-punching work?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know, but its hard.

Yes, and your point.....?

Looking back on the best times in my life - the best sex, the best parties, the best anything...I was sober, not drunk. That's the truth.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LOL! You guys are too funny! I hear ya and appreciate the advice!!! big Time!! just stuck in a habit and having a hard time changing!! fargin cravings kill me. I have been stopping at the store every night for a long time now! I dont buy and bring it home, but I do drink before i get home. I think tomorrow I will try and break the habit and not stop. Its gonna kill me but i am going to try
Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vauto

Welcome

Yeah it's hard.

It was hard for me too - drinking defined who I was - all my family drank, all my friends drank, I drank through every emotion and every situation for 20 years.

You better believe it was tough to change - I not only had to stop drinking, I had to change my life.

But it was do that - or slowly die, in my soul as well as my body. I think you know what I mean there.

I worked hard at recovery - I got as much support as I could, and I stuck to my guns - I stayed sober and slowly my life changed.

I sorted out a lot of things about me and my life...I actually became a happy man, comfortable with who I am.

I'm glad I made that choice - however hard it was

D
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OK!! I am going for it! Tomorrow will be my 1st day!! Wish me luck!!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OK!! I am going for it! Tomorrow will be my 1st day!! Wish me luck!!
Good luck. Why don't you eat something with sugar when you have a craving. Alcohol is a sugar addiction and buying something that is high in sugar will curve your cravings.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Never new that about the sugar! I think I may try that! thanks!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Good luck. Why don't you eat something with sugar when you have a craving. Alcohol is a sugar addiction and buying something that is high in sugar will curve your cravings.
Good luck, but I strongly recommend that you don't rely solely on eating something sugary to cure your alcoholic cravings.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
FOOD ADDICTION IS ARGUABLY THE WORST OF ALL ADDICTIONS. (we can not quit eating.....)

PLEASE: PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS HORRIBLE ADVICE!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
FOOD ADDICTION IS ARGUABLY THE WORST OF ALL ADDICTIONS. (we can not quit eating.....)

PLEASE: PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS HORRIBLE ADVICE!!!!!!!!
The guy is addicted to alcohol and not food (that I know of) eating a banana or a piece of chocolate will help me to cope with the urge of him buying alcohol which he is trying to do. Eating a healthy well bounces meal that is high in vitamins B will also help. So, I don't see how this is a horrible advice.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I sent you a PM.

Until now, you said NOTHING about eating fruit or anything healthy!

Do your homework on food addictions/disorders please.

Good bye........
Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let all take a chill pill please.

This is a peer support group. Everybody has the right to express an opinion.
It's what this group is built on.

Tolerance: Please respect the rights of others to hold beliefs and perspectives, which differ from yours. Our Sober Recovery Forum members are of many nationalities, ages, and cultures. Healthy, vigorous debate will further our goals, but only when guided by the tolerance that springs from mutual embrace of mission.

Intellectual Freedom: Embrace diversity of practice. It is impossible to understand an action without first understanding the actor and their environment. Know that varied environments call for varied response. Your way may not be the best way.

Freedom of Speech: We resist censorship in favor of free speech. Within our forums, we support the broadest range of perspectives and expression, for it is the unification of diversity to cause that gives strength to our community. We are committed to equal opportunity. Influence and responsibility here are inseparable, and both spring solely from a demonstrated commitment to furthering the topics discussed in our forums. Bear in mind, however, that some language and conduct is still considered inappropriate.

Responsible Behavior: Your attendance here carries a responsibility. Ours is a mission of mind and perspective, and consequently, attention is our most precious resource. Do not waste what attention you may attract, nor seek to attract it with wasteful actions. Remember that personal worldview is a most powerful motivator; never treat another's lightly.

Everyone:

If you think a post breaks the rules, report it.

If on the other hand, you think it's bad advice - you can either put the poster on ignore, PM the poster, or set the record straight by replying to them here - preferably in a civil and non emotive way.

thanks - lets all move on.

back to the thread
D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-01-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

While sugary stuff often works, Vauto, I ended up with a lot of extra weight with my sugar cravings, so...if you're going to use that as your 'emergency: break glass' thing with cravings, I'd stick to fruit and stuff with simple sugars....

& If you find the sugar works, maybe the best thing to do then is to go see your Dr to make sure you're not hypogylcemic.

Personally? I think if cravings are your problem there are better solutions.

Some people use a structured support programme to deal with all aspects of recovery...but something like this was useful for me with regard to cravings.

Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

D