Notices

Today I quit drinking. I am new here..

Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today I quit drinking. I am new here..

Would like to meet many great people that have the same addiction as me. I have been drinking for 6 years or so, and need a friend or many friends to help me get through this. I give great advice and would like everyone to be here and help me since today 02/01/2011 which is today I don't want to drink anymore. It has did nothing for me but, cause heartaches,family stress, jobs and more. PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hard decision to make, but a great one if you can be one of the few to make it stick.

Have you stopped before? If so, how will you make this time different than the last time? If you're typical your decision doesn't stick and eventually a drinkie seems right and reasonable.

If that's your pattern, what's your plan? Hopefully it isn't to decide with more firmness than ever before.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AMARZ

Welcome

Thats what we do here - provide our experience and support to help you help yourself

I think seeing a Dr is often a good thing to do first off, especially if you've drunk for a long time.

Have you thought of what you're going to do for support?

Posting here is good, but some folks find face to face support like AA or SMART or some form of counselling is useful if you feel you need extra support.

Looking forward to seeing you around
D
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Amarz, good to meet you. Drinking did a lot of the same to me. You'll find lots of people here to listen and support you. Welcome!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
Hard decision to make, but a great one if you can be one of the few to make it stick.

Have you stopped before? If so, how will you make this time different than the last time? If you're typical your decision doesn't stick and eventually a drinkie seems right and reasonable.

If that's your pattern, what's your plan? Hopefully it isn't to decide with more firmness than ever before.
Hi Cable, Thanks for writing! Yes I have quit before and the reason I would go back is excuses, excuses. For example if I was having a bad day I would turn to drinking.... just a example. This time I am going to try my hardest and understand we all have bad days and to throw away the excuses! I will say I am in need though to come here at 5 to 6pm ,because this is when I start to drink. I am open to all the advice you can give me..

thanks again Cable
Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmericanGirl View Post
Hi Amarz, good to meet you. Drinking did a lot of the same to me. You'll find lots of people here to listen and support you. Welcome!
Thank you so much girl! =)) I am truly going to fight this demon this time!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, thank you! Yes I researched where I can go for AA meeting and there are many. I am going to go to meetings and see what it has to offer since I have never been.

Thanks,dee
Old 02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere. You'll find a lot of support and useful information here.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It feels great just to be here and read posts, and chat with people with a addiction like myyself. And it feels great that at this time I will start drinking and I am here. And for goodness sake....... IT FEELS GREAT TO BE HERE! Thanks everyone! =))
Old 02-01-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amarz,

We do understand.

Good for you for seeking support for your recovery.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good luck man
Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Amarz, if your plan to check out a meeting I suggest showing up 15 minutes early, shaking some hands and letting them know you're new. If you walk in just before it starts you won't get the red carpet treatment, or have time to calm down and reduce your nervousness-which makes it hard to really hear things.

Noon meetings are less powerful than evening meetings by and large...you might hit a evening meeting during the week in the better part of your town for a good look at what AA can do for people.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi amarz...

Welcome to SR.....lots of wonderful support here.

Best of luck on your new sober journey.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome - glad you're here and have decided to get sober. It really does help to share the journey with others - this place has been a lifesaver for me....
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome amarz! Congratulations on your decision to seek recovery.
You found a fantastic place for support. Keep posting, keep reading
and reaching out.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amarz View Post
Thank you so much girl! =)) I am truly going to fight this demon this time!
Hey amarz! Welcome. For me, learning about alcoholism really helped me at first. I am going to post a link for you Downloads & mp3's from silkworth.net

I would go to any of the stuff on step 1 and just listen. Just know and please try and understand this.... there is a life waiting for you that you can't even imagine. I know that sounds corny, but please just trust me. Recovery is such a wonderful place and it's waiting for everyone (INCLUDING YOU). All you have to do is take direction and work for it!

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, amarz -- welcome to SR. I think you've come to the right place. I know I did—reading and sharing here has been a huge help to me every day since I quit. Hope it's as valuable to you!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You made a great decision, remember this is a journey and remember there's help out there and also here.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Amarz,
Well done on your decision, as we said in chat, this is the perfect place to come for support and everyone here has loads of advice and understanding to offer.
Good luck!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

HI Amarz
Im glad to meet you too, come in here everyday and learn more. I remember when I came here a some time ago, I was a very confused person but now Im learning so much more. Remember Amarz, you are not alone, there are many wonderful, beautiful people here who can guide us along.
JJ
:ghug3