Notices

Third night without drinking...

Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Third night without drinking...

Hi everyone,
I just found this website and am thrilled to be here. My name is Bronwyn, I'm from Ontario, Canada. I've been married for ten years, have three kids under age 9 and am currently a SAHM. I'm planning to go back to college in Sept 2011.

I started drinking when I was 17, and am now 32. Aside from my pregnancies, when I abstained completely, I drink almost every night. And when I don't, it's not easy. I normally start drinking around 6pm or so, and have 6-8 beers until I go to sleep around midnight.

I've finally gotten to the point that I really want to stop, but am terrified that I can't do it. I had my last drink on Friday night. I've never been to an AA meeting, but am seriously thinking of going tomorrow night.

The past two nights have been really tough. I've had terrible insomnia...trouble getting to sleep, and then waking up every hour or two. Last night I was up every hour, sweating.

I'm trying my best not to drink tonight, and reading through all of the newcomers' posts on here is helping to boost my resolve.

Just wanted to say hello, and hopefully I'll be around a lot from now on. Wish me luck sleeping tonight! If anyone has been through this and has any tips, I'd greatly appreciate it..

Love and peace
Bronwyn
Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Determined

GL on the sleeping, I am white-knuckling it thru withdrawl right now, and it definately affected my ability to sleep. I will be thinking of you.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'll be thinking about you, too. It's good to know I'm not alone, because most of the time it feels like I'm the only one dealing with this.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bronwyn,

Welcome from a fellow-Canadian.

I do know how scary it is to be starting a sober life. I had no idea if I could do it or not, but I did and you can too. It's great that you have not had a drink since Friday. Have you talked to your dr because it can be dangerous to detox from alcohol? Don't be surprised about the sleeping issues. Unfortunately that is very common, but will likely improve before too long.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are far from alone.

Withdrawal is hell. Your body is getting used to the idea of sleeping without being drugged. It does not last forever (although some of those nights sure feel like it).

Exercise always helped me, but I also found it was hard to run while you were shaking.

It is very hard to stop drinking-- once we start to feel better, we seem to forget why we made the commitment to stop. The body heals, and we grow forgetful.

This is where AA can help. There's terrific power in a group of people coming together with a common problem. And they laugh a lot too.

Hang in there.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Barriemum

D
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR! This site has been a huge help to me. I'm a parent of a young one, and it makes me doubly grateful to have made the decision to quit. I hope you get as much out of reading and posting here as I do!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sleeping problems are usual in early sobreity...please see
if this is useful...tho it's not about de toxing.

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

AA? it's been working great for me for years....
Please go check it out.

Welcome to SR....Congratulations on starting your sober life...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bronwyn

The sleep gets better. Believe me, it gets awesome after a few weeks. You will wake up feeling amazing, so much better than waking up feeling sick and tired. Just hang in there with it, it's something we all go through.

Try things like hot milk, warm baths etc. Bit of light reading perhaps in bed until you get nice and drowsy. it's hard but it's worth it so much than getting inebriated and passing out for a couple of hours like most of us used to.

Take lots of care
xx
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get a boring book and even if you don't want to read it, read it. Don't dope up to get sleep. Hot milk before bed works well to soothe and calm. The candles and soaking in a bath routine...

The trouble is your nerves are raw without being anesthetized, and your head will run and spin until you're very tired of it. Hard to dodge this in the first weeks, but no one I know died from lack of sleep.

When you do get your first night of good sober sleep instead of passing out, it's likely you'll remember that for a while-it's great!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Bronwyn, welcome to SR and
congratulations on taking back your life

l have a lot of difficulty sleeping at the best of times and when in early recovery l was prepared for sleepless nights. l found that not worrying about how much sleep l did or didn't get reduced my anxiety l also practiced meditation before bed.

Keep reading reading and let us know how you're doing
Though no-one can go back and make a new start,
anyone can start from now and make a new ending.
Carl Bard
Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Avenger of my liver

Welcome to the forum!
I too am on my 3rd day (again,sheesh!) and my sleep is so terrible I'm starting to get hallucinations. Sounds are so magnified that I think I'm hearing people whispering about me and I think they're looking at me for some strange reason. I know it's all in my head but by the 4th day you should start sleeping better again.
Cheers!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! I'm a little older than you (35) but also have almost-3 children I have been sober for 6 months. It's been an amazing experience! I've tried and failed many times. This time is sticking because I have truly accepted that I can never drink again. I used to look at other people drinking and mourn the fact that I can't join them. But this time I see that most people drink one drink, maybe two. Or it takes them an hour to drink a beer. If that's 'normal' drinking, they can keep it

Anyway the sleep problems pass (quickly for me) and now everything is brighter. My moods are more settled. I'm a million times more engaged as a parent and wife. I enjoy all the things I had written off as lame.

The start can be tough but give it a real chance!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all of your replies...it's amazing how much each and every reply strengthens my resolve to stay sober. Last night was easier than the one before, and I am so happy and a little bit proud to be heading into my fourth day sober.

I've decided to check out a local AA meeting tonight at 7:30. It's an open meeting, which from what I understand means I can sort of sit back and watch if I feel intimidated. I'm excited and a bit nervous, but I know it's something I NEED to do!

Thanks for all of the insomnia tips. Just knowing it will pass helps immensely. Also, I have to admit I feel better in the morning after a relatively sleepless night than I did waking up hungover. I'd usually sleep for 4 hours, then wake up and toss and turn for hours. Overall, this insomnia is better than being drunk, and it's bound to get better as time passes.

I just need to stay positive.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barriemum View Post
Thank you so much for all of your replies...it's amazing how much each and every reply strengthens my resolve to stay sober. Last night was easier than the one before, and I am so happy and a little bit proud to be heading into my fourth day sober.

I've decided to check out a local AA meeting tonight at 7:30. It's an open meeting, which from what I understand means I can sort of sit back and watch if I feel intimidated. I'm excited and a bit nervous, but I know it's something I NEED to do!

Thanks for all of the insomnia tips. Just knowing it will pass helps immensely. Also, I have to admit I feel better in the morning after a relatively sleepless night than I did waking up hungover. I'd usually sleep for 4 hours, then wake up and toss and turn for hours. Overall, this insomnia is better than being drunk, and it's bound to get better as time passes.

I just need to stay positive.

When you're parking the car and not believing that you're actually going into an AA meeting, and the little voices start to say, "we're doing fine, let's go back home," remember this: every person in that meeting went to a meeting for the first time once. And felt exactly like you feel. They remember it, they know how you feel, and they want to help you get better. They are alcoholics, just like you. And after you go to a meeting, you'll already be able to help the next new person coming in behind you.

Just by extending a hand and saying, "I know."
Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi,

I was an 6 - 8 beer a night fellow for 20 years. The last year it was 10 to 12 beers, I was the definition of a high functioning alcoholic. It might be early for you, but you can do it! 102 days sober for me. It is easier by fractions each day for me. I have not grasped how to deal with the stresses in my life to replace the poison, but I'm working on it.

As others have commented, your body and brain are adjusting. The sleep portion does not last that long. If anything, you will be amazed how much better you will feel after a week!

Congrats on taking the steps toward making your life a sober life, you won't regret it.

Toss
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Barriemum.

I too live in Canada and today is day 1 for me. I am a Surreymum. I have been to AA before and had 9 months of sobriety under my belt and then screwed that up. I know how you feel about going to meetings. It is definitely scary but it does get better the more you attend.

I have a horrible headache right now after drinking far too much last night and making a complete arss of myself. I am so tired of that. I'm glad you are here and I'll be there right along side of you on this road to sobriety!

Namaste!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. I just got back from my first AA meeting. It was an interesting experience...everyone was very nice! I just have trouble getting past all of the "God" talk, because I am not religious at all. That being said, it was scary but good. I have my desire chip in my pocket!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AA is not a religion, and goes to great pains to not associate with religion.

It is a spiritual program of action. What's spiritual?

"an ultimate or immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the deepest values and meanings by which people live."

When we admit we're powerless over alcohol or drugs, it invariably puts us in a spot where we're doomed unless we can find some power beyond ourselves. If you think about how many times you've sworn off alcohol, only to return to it, you might begin to identify a bit with that powerlessness. We wake each morning with new resolve, but by evening, we're right back at it.

In AA, we talk about our conception of God (God is used here really as a placeholder for whatever universal power or deity people might believe in). By undertaking spiritual work on ourselves (steps 4-9), we open the door to connect with our idea of whatever that power might be-- by reducing the self.

So it's not religion. And all that's required in the AA program is willingness. You do not need to believe in God to recover. But you may find by the time you've completed the work that you believe something larger than you is operating in your life.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I will just have to make my "higher power" something other than God. I know it's not technically a religious organization...I just live in a city that is heavily Christian so most of the people I spoke to tonight talked about God in the biblical sense, and even recited the Lord's Prayer. I can get past that easily enough though...the message can certainly be adapted, as you say!!!