Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

And now the "sucking up and buying things for you" phase has started.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have a 32gb Ipod touch on the way. I hate it when AH does this, like it's supposed to change how I really feel. And honestly, I would've preferred a Kindle, but whatever...

Oh AND my son told me tonight that AH has plans to go get another dog on his day off. that would be 4 dogs, 3 cats, and 6 fish tanks. Keep in mind I do about 95% of the pet care, and even end up feeding the fish at least once every other day.

I'm in daycare searching mode right now, there's a local call center that has 6 week training starting Feb 21, from 8-4:30. It'd be tough to do living here, but I could manage it(easier in town, since then I wouldn't have to drive 20+ miles) I just have to find daycare.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Originally Posted by pixilation View Post
And honestly, I would've preferred a Kindle, but whatever...
That made me spit my water out laughing. Silly girl...its not about YOU. LOL!!!

BTW - I don't get gifts. I get kitchen cleaning, laundry folding, dinner cooking, backrubs...I'd rather have an iPod touch. LOL!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're right, he even said "I know I've been a jerk lately with my PTSD and all, so I wanted to make it up to you". Quack quack quack.

He used to do the cleaning thing, but apparently I started expecting it, so he doesn't do it anymore. And really, he rarely even buys me things, he must think something is "up".
Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

heh. something *is* up.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My AH couldn't even do the buying presents to make up bit right .He bought me a cactus once for heavens sake
Old 01-29-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to get flowers every week. Kinda ruined the flower giving thing for me now.. meh
Old 01-29-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AHs thing is flowers, too. Big bouquets. And I hate that, because he always makes sure I'm in a public place when he gives them to me so I'll hear ALL the girls go "Oh, what a sweetheart! You are so lucky, girl! I NEVER get flowers!"

Pixilation: I also laughed at the Kindle comment--but you know what--you can get a Kindle app for your phone/iTouch--I have one, and I love it. I use it all the time.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How's about you return the iTouch and get yourself a Kindle. Take advantage of his giving nature and all that while you can...LOL Why not???
Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's ridiculous, isn't it? They are amazingly transparent and don't even know it. It's laughable on one hand, and kind of sad on another. It would be so much easier to fake your way through if it didn't feel so much like manipulation. Oy.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

If it were me, I'd make a big 'ole list of all the things I want and keep it on the refrigerator. Then, when he wants to act out of his feelings of guilt and shame, he can refer to the list and I don't have to do any returns. Seems if you are doing all this pet care work, you should be compensated!!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SKW View Post
That made me spit my water out laughing. Silly girl...its not about YOU. LOL!!!

BTW - I don't get gifts. I get kitchen cleaning, laundry folding, dinner cooking, backrubs...I'd rather have an iPod touch. LOL!!!!
I was going to say the same, except I'm drinking coffee! I'd rather have the kindle, too I hope your daycare situation works out. I'm heading that direction myself...
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
I'd make a big 'ole list of all the things I want and keep it on the refrigerator
i just spit out my coffee on this line! You_Rock_
Old 01-29-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Mine always took me places. Expensive places. And I had to pay for half of it.

Then he'd end up getting drunk, so we'd go with him drunk and yelling at me. Kind of undoes the purpose, you know?

I just looked at a picture of one of the last places we went together. He was drunk out of his mind, I drove there and back. I have this giant fake smile on my face, and he's bright red with a shot of Seagram Seven in a glass carefully shoved behind my water glass in his attempt to remove it from the picture.

Then of course there's the "stuff" he bought, as "gifts" for me, or to hang on the wall...

*Looks at nice, mostly bare walls* It's wonderful to have my apartment back.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

He ordered it off of Amazon, I think there's a restocking fee if I send it back, and then he'd know that I sent it back, and I'd have to endure a rant for that.

Dang, I never thought I'd complain about getting something expensive like this.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

It's a valid complaint, IMO. It's no relationship being with someone who couldn't give a damn what you really want but tries to use stuff as a substitute. Been there, hated it, dumped that guy. But I do have some really nice towels, a great bathing suit, some books I love, a decent stereo, and a couple other things to remember him by And yes, they all came from the refrigerator list! LOL!