Notices

Anxiety after Drinking Leading to more Drinking

Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety after Drinking Leading to more Drinking

After 45 days sober i relapsed about a week ago. I got cut from work early and decided to have some drinks with a buddy. Some drinks turned to many drinks as they often do with people like us. Anyways i woke up with a horrible hangover. The worst part about it was the anxiety and the guilt. I felt the feelings I felt when I wasnt drinking during my alcoholic time. The first thing that popped in my head was "Well you have the day off a few drinks will take care of this stress". It was then when I realized that unless I was sober all the time this anxiety would leave me unless I was drunk. It explained why I drank all the time before, because it gave me anxiety. Kind of ironic right? Anyways although I am disappointed that I relapsed I am happy to have this realization because it will be another tool to aid in my sobriety, along with SR and SMART recovery meetings that I have recently began.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it definitely is ironic.

I began to drink to self-medicate anxiety/depression. I had no idea that it would make things so much worse, in fact so much worse that I was really, really afraid to stop drinking.

I'm glad that you have learned and now you can move on.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes..many of us returned to drinking and found it no longer
was what we wanted to do....and started fresh....
I did...more than once....

Glad you are beginning again....all my best as you move on.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
xuse

not ironic drinking does the same sick thing to me welcome im working on me and thats all you can do i found it doesn t help it really makes things worse and thats hard to admit i no
Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bigred, glad you are back and added support tools. I found many things when I was drinking and they definitely were far from the initial coping/escape I had found. I physically and mentally deteriorated and I discovered the horrible anxiety yet worse panic attacks that came along my way. I drank to relieve and it made it worse. What a mess those years were and I stumbled many times before I said to myself enough is enough.

What I do know for me is that I have not had a panic attack since quitting and the anxiety became less and less and is easily managed through breathing, etc.

For me....having the support and tools made the difference and I am blessed everyday for my sobriety.

Keep it going
Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your honest post. Im glad you're able to admit when you slip up, I had a slip up, learned from it and moved on. All the best!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, it definitely is ironic.

I began to drink to self-medicate anxiety/depression. I had no idea that it would make things so much worse, in fact so much worse that I was really, really afraid to stop drinking.

I'm glad that you have learned and now you can move on.
Towards the last 3-4 years of my drinking/using days I was also getting high or drunk to deal with depression. Little did I know that the chemicals were making it much worse, not only physiologically but how I perceived the world. I came to believe that I was inferior to everyone, and I couldn't conquer my problems because I always gave up when the going got tough. Getting sober has completely flipped that perspective to believing I can do ANYTHING as long as I stay sober and do the next right thing. It's an amazing feeling to go from a hopeless druggie who hates life to someone who feels that they can accomplish anything IF they work towards it.

It feels every time I get through a rough patch, I come out stronger than ever before, with a little more maturity. The worse the problem, the bigger the gain as long as I keep working the program. Pain is an invitation for growth.

That "work" part was always my shortcoming.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel you JME
Right now i am working on getting my life back together after messing it up. Right now I should have graduated college, I should be living at my own place, I would like to have a decent girlfriend and a god job. Luckily I have gotten my life back together and got a part time job in the evenings. It has really helped me not drink or use when I am working until one every several days of the week. I have found that staying really busy gets my mind off using or having anxiety all the time. One step at a time I guess and lots of work to get caught up to where i want to be
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigred95 View Post
I feel you JME
Right now i am working on getting my life back together after messing it up. Right now I should have graduated college, I should be living at my own place, I would like to have a decent girlfriend and a god job. Luckily I have gotten my life back together and got a part time job in the evenings. It has really helped me not drink or use when I am working until one every several days of the week. I have found that staying really busy gets my mind off using or having anxiety all the time. One step at a time I guess and lots of work to get caught up to where i want to be
Absolutely. One step at a time is always so much easier said than done for me because I like everything done on MY timeframe. Learning to accept that progress takes time helps me stay patient when I'm having a bad day or week. I should be graduating college this year as well, but yaknow what? Who cares. Sobriety is better than any diploma and there may be another chance for u to finish school.

That's great that you're working! I wonder what would have happened had I not found a part time job as well. It helps me feel needed and gives me the opportunity to be a good employee, and co-worker. I wouldn't have cared about those things 4 months ago but I do today. Don't worry about the girlfriend thing, just work on YOU. You don't need anybody to make you happy.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"I should be graduating college this year as well, but yaknow what? Who cares. Sobriety is better than any diploma and there may be another chance for u to finish school."

Very true...I like feel a drunk and high me with a diploma is worth nothing anyways. A sober me without does way better things and is way happier
Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back to recovery from a fellow Buckeye.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Recovery starts with one single step and I heard this once and really liked it. The shame is not in relapsing, the shame is in not coming back. Keep the faith