Notices

opiate withdrawl question

Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

opiate withdrawl question

Hello... I have a couple questions about opiate withdrawal.

I guess I was probably never a heavy user... some of my friends take 30-40 pills a day. I have used hydrocodone/perc (7-10) or the like for a little over 2 years, but only for the last year was I using it regularly. For me regular would be about 3 a day or so, and 2-3times I quit for about a week at a time. The symptoms lasted only about 1-2days.. so it was no biggy. Anyways.. over the last stretch I didn't quit for a while and probably averaged around 5-6 a day. The 5 days before I decided I needed to stop frequent use I used about 20 or so each day.

So I brought myself to quit... I have pretty strong will? so I just dropped it cold turkey pretty much (Did the same to quit smoking). It was very tempting this time around though.. and the systems were much much worse.

NOW for my question.

It has been 8-9 days since I have completely stopped. The aches went away a day or 2 ago, but I still feel fatigue (Which I am not even sure is withdrawl because I have something going on with my stomach)

Anyways

What I want to know is this... I have a pounding headache (which is what I started taking them for in 1st place). I want to take care of this before it turns into a full blown migrain (horrible for anyone that has experienced as I have often)

If I take 1-2 pills will I have to go through withdrawl all over again ?

I just want to make sure it doesn't set me back, because the last week or so is something I am going to do my best to avoid again.

Thanks..

P.S.

I assume a lot of people might assume if I take them today I go back to addicted again... which happen before (somewhat)... but it won't happen.

I just want the question if it will negate the last week, and make me have to do it all over again thats all..

Thanks much
Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You really need to talk to your dr about how the drugs will affect you. We are not able to offer any kind of medical advice.

Maybe something otc would help your headache for the moment.

I'm glad you're seeking support here.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You really need to talk to your dr about how the drugs will affect you. We are not able to offer any kind of medical advice.

Maybe something otc would help your headache for the moment.

I'm glad you're seeking support here.
Thanks Anna.

I have tried a couple things from doc for headaches, but they don't work.

My question was more for someone with experience or knowledge of opiate withdrawl. My question was not to take the pills, but I just want to know if it will kick me back so I would have to go through withdrawl again.

Still out of line ? If so sorry!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

You're very likely having a rebound headache--and taking an opiate for it will only result in its return when it wears off.

Having said that, I'm assuming you're taking it illicitly (without a prescription), which I can't condone. If I were in your shoes, and I really wanted to quit, I'd be laying it all out for the doctor--how much you've been taking, the resulting headache, and let the doctor advise. If the doctor has been the source of the pills, then you'll also cut off your supply in all but the most serious and medically necessary circumstances. That's a desirable outcome if you want to stay stopped and don't want easy access.

As for whether or not you go through withdrawals after using once...it's hard to tell. I've heard some people say they have, though it's probably more the obsession and compulsion to keep using. Still, if you think this is a problem, why risk it?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You probably won't go through withdrawal based on your usage history. AT THE SAME TIME... this place is about getting and staying sober if that is your true goal than I recommend not using opiates for a headache, it can throw you right back into the addiction.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jayson

I suffer from migraines so I know a little about headaches - if you can't find anything OTC that helps, you definitely need to see a Dr.

I think it's safe to say from a common sense perspective that hydros are not the answer.

None of us here are qualified to competently advise you on your withdrawal question anyway - please seek some professional medical advice.

D
Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok..

Thanks a lot for the responses ! I will try to stick it out then ask for something else when I see the doc
Old 01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't take the opiate. I did four days ago and haven't stopped. Now I have to withdraw all over again tomorrow. Don't do it! (In my opinion)