Notices

freezing all the time now

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

freezing all the time now

I have noticed during the last 7 weeks, that I am no longer so warm all the time, in fact I'm sooooo cold all the time now. I used to have the windows open(winter in NE) while I slept or be sweating all night long! What's up with that? Just had to get another blanket and socks! And my heat is the same as before, if anything its up higher. Wierd.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm.. that is strange. I remember I always used to get terrible night sweats a few days after I would stop drinking, I mean just entrenched in sweat... nasty.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I've been cold since I stopped drinking. It's weird.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if this is true or not..but I always heard that thin blood makes you cold. Alcohol causes thin blood..so when we quit we should get warmer. I think I am the same temperature as when I was drinking but who knows..
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notaloser View Post
I have noticed during the last 7 weeks, that I am no longer so warm all the time, in fact I'm sooooo cold all the time now. I used to have the windows open(winter in NE) while I slept or be sweating all night long! What's up with that? Just had to get another blanket and socks! And my heat is the same as before, if anything its up higher. Wierd.
It's winter if you havn't noticed, and it's f*kin cold. Layers is the answer to coldness. Three or four layers over the mid section and you can be warm. A knit hat also helps. Winter sucks, but it will be over before we know it.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Originally Posted by dairo View Post
Hmmm.. that is strange. I remember I always used to get terrible night sweats a few days after I would stop drinking, I mean just entrenched in sweat... nasty.
I too get gross dreching sweats while trying to sleep.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get colder too now, when I was still drinking I would always get really hot durning the night and now have lots of blankets.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

After I first sobered up, and it was early June in Southern California I was cold when others were hot and I was hot when others were cold. Never did get an explanation for it, I just figured the alcohol had screwed up my internal thermostat.

By the time I hit a year, it seemed to have abated and didn't return until right before I was diagnosed with diabetes 11 years ago. So I again suffer from an internal thermostat that is all goofed up, lol

If it doesn't go away and is really bothering you, then I would suggest talking to your doctor.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I had to remember that when I first got sober/clean my body was a physical mess, just as my emotional and spiritual state. The saying time takes time really stinks to hear but is rather true, at least in my case it was. My body was used to being numb or altered so of course when I stopped putting the stuff my body was used to in me it was going to react in all sorts of crazy ways, cold,warm, tingles, nausea. 1/2 the time I thought I was crawling out of my skin but it did get better I just had to hang on long enough for that to happen. Keep the faith.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by whatisit View Post
It's winter if you havn't noticed, and it's f*kin cold.
Well, there is that...
Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is funny...each time I quit I get sweaty and nasty for a while, just the opposite. And it's effing cold here in Michigan in January!

IIRC...alcohol affects (shrinks?) the hippocampus, which also plays a part in regulating our internal temperature. I think. If that's the case, it would explain the hot/cold reactions many of us have when we quit drinking.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I've been cold since I stopped drinking. It's weird.
Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
I get colder too now, when I was still drinking I would always get really hot durning the night and now have lots of blankets.
Glad I'm not the only one!

Yes...winter...can't miss the 3 feet of snow out my window.

I used to be able to go out without a coat, and still be sweating! I felt like I was going thru menopause!! I'm only 35. And now that there is no more alcohol fueling the "burner", I am cold, allll the time. Just a qwerky observation..

and those detox night sweats...awful!!

Thanks for all your replies
Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am 3 months sober now. I noticed i was cold also. I think my issue was (i was just at DR, I should have asked her) was my blood pressure was high. When I stopped drinking I am losing weight and BP is down.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As alcohol has an incredibly damaging affect on metabolism... it may be a very good idea that you get your thyroid tested (as thyroid controls and regulates darn near everything in your system, most especially metabolism).

Many thyroid issues are similar to detox symptoms... it is impossible to tell the difference without the input of a doctor. An initial thyroid screening can be administered by any general practitioner. If it is determined that you are borderline, or a G.P. says they can treat you... insist on a referral to an Endocrinologist. Make sure to say you are in alcohol recovery... an Endo will be able to help regulate your thyroid with appropriate medication, as well as give you input on nutrition and supplements.

Do NOT try it alone. Balancing out a recovering system is very tricky business.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzing!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
xuse

i have one hand that stays cold and red wierd
Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Have my 4 blankets and I'm going to bed...stay warm everyone!

...Maybe some socks too....