Notices

Bible Recommendation

Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bible Recommendation

I recently purchased the Life Recovery Bible and I cannot stress how much I am enjoying it. It is New Living Translation and it has an index to recovery to twelve step devotionals, life recovery topical index, index to twelve step devotionals, an index to serenity prayer devotionals and so much more. It has foot notes and references to recovery on every page

It is just over $15 on amazon. I highly recommend it for those whose HP is God.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bgirl, I've had that for years, found it very helpful. I bought one for each of my daughters. Even though they're not in any kind of recovery it does a great job of explaining things in lay-mans terms.

Ron
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Not to discourage you but...

99% of the Bible is irrelevant to recovery. Hard-core Bible-thumpers seem to have a harder time getting sober. In the early days of recovery, the only parts that seemed to help alcoholics were;

The Gospel of Matthew
The Epistle of James
1st Corinthians
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Banana - I'm very glad it's helping you. (I used to have "Good News for Modern Man" but I lost it - should get a replacement.) I hadn't heard of that bible, so thanks.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Bananagirl, I bought the same one about a month ago! I really like it, too. It is very easy to understand, and the extra footnotes and devotionals help a lot. I have another Bible that's just a plain bible and I have a hard time understanding it and seeing its relevance to my life.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Boleo
99% of the Bible is irrelevant to recovery.
Not to mine

D
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you. I read my old school bible and a prayer book a great aunt of mine left behind.

Reading this spiritual material has saved my life from a future of addiction to more than just alcohol, but other destructive activities.

The lowest point in our lives, in the times of our anguish, those are the times we humble ourselves to the point where reading the inspirational words of the bible, and prayers in general will best serve us. Those times we're carrying our own crosses on earth are the times we're closest to God.... I think.

I love God
Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Thank you bananagrrrl!

I just ordered it at Amazon, lol

Even with many years sober and clean I am always looking for ways to enhance my recovery program and this sounds great!!!!

Again, thank you for mentioning it and recommending it.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

99% of the Bible is irrelevant to recovery. Hard-core Bible-thumpers seem to have a harder time getting sober. In the early days of recovery, the only parts that seemed to help alcoholics were;

The Gospel of Matthew
The Epistle of James
1st Corinthians
Actually, I find that almost every verse I read in my Bible is entirely relevant to my recovery.

Last night I read, underlined and took note of Matthew 6:34 : "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I found that to be quite relevant to the sayings of "Just for today," "One day at a time," "Easy does it," and the like.

Another good passage is 1 Timothy 3:1-3: "Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money."

I also like Galatians 5:16: "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature."

Basically, my recovery and my relationship with God are indelibly intertwined. I don't feel I can have one without the other. And the Bible is where I get God's word, where I go to learn more about Him and myself, in order that I may better commune with Him and live the type of life He wants me to live.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with you Boleo about the bible, but maybe my interpretation is slightly different. I bought my children an illustrated bible many years ago, and I thought it was a very good version because in the preface it stated clearly that the bible is not purely an evangelical text.
The bible is many things: it is history, especially in the old testament. It is philosophy, it is prose and poetry. It is many things. And, it doesn't promise to be any one thing: those who believe it is just one thing are people I tend to disagree with.
I find guidance in Buddhism, in the bible, in a great variety of sources.
I am trying to find my higher power, and connect with it every day, but I also don't find that it is in only one source, such as the bible, or connected to only one religion.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check it out!

(I can tell my sobriety is taking root because I can clearly see that this is simply a recommendation and I don't need to make it any more complicated than that. )
Old 01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks, BG--always glad to read a recommendation for a good book--even when it is THE "Good Book!"
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds good...Thanks for the recommendation!

I get a lot out of reading the Bible...especially New testament....Leviticus frankly bores me to tears:-)
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Leviticus frankly bores me to tears:-)
You, too??
Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

The Gospel of Matthew
The Epistle of James
1st Corinthians
Just my experience, but hard core bible thumpers have a hard time because they always know so much more than everyone else. The problem is that their experience is often academic rather than experiential. To stay sober, ya gotta jump in the pool.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry but I don't see how the Bible talk about recovery.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
It doesn't necessarily talk ABOUT recovery, per se, but has stories in it that we can learn from and incorporate into our recovery. If we choose that spiritual path, we can learn how to enhance our lives with the word.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Principles like tolerance, patience, humility and others are expounded on much more in the bible.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not saying that because it's relevant for me, it need be that way for anyone else ACT10Npack....but I find there's a lot that's relevant to the way I run my recovery

D
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If recovery is really a way of living ones life, which I believe it is, as opposed to merely abstaining from the consumption of alcohol then the Bible can provide an excellent road map to recovery for those who believe in God.

Yes there are the Bible thumpers and I have no real interest in conversations with them...but I find that those who are truly inspired by the Bible can help us to see it as real and relevant to our lives.

T