Just Need to Share: My Dad is Sober

Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Just Need to Share: My Dad is Sober

Just need to share with you guys. My Dad has been sober the past couple days. I think because of his poor health. Sometimes he does this and makes it a week or two. Once he did this and stayed sober about 2 or 3 months! It was wonderful! I called him EVERY day, several times a day just to talk. Like soaking up all the goodness he is sober, while I had the opportunity. He really is the greatest guy. I'm a little hopeful he'll be sober for a few weeks so we can spend some quality time talking. Because I'm afraid this is going to be his last year of life.

Thanks for listening. Thanks for being there.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's always hope L2L... enjoy this time and we'll be praying.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow (that Einstein was a clever guy).

My thoughts are with you. :ghug3
Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hope your dad continues to be "with it"--will keep you both in my prayers.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love that you're taking the opportunity to enjoy it. No matter how long it lasts.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

Learn2live it is nice to hear from you. I certainly feel for you as I am an alcoholic father of two girls, one 13 and the other 3. I have been sober 27 or so months now, and I still hear and feel the gratitude from my oldest daughter. It is a wonderful feeling and I will pray for you and father.

JT
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

L2L,
I really hope you have some good quality sober time with your dad. Praying for you too.:ghug3
Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((((((L2L))))))

enjoy each moment -soak it in.

love n hugs
chicory
Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((L2L)))

Glad you shared this with us. Sending you positive thoughts and hugs.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree--so happy you are taking the opportunity to express your love and care for him, L2L. Good for both you and him. All best wishes.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

wow that is awesome -

no matter if it is a day, an hour, a week or years - true sober time is a gift!!

I know that you will treasure each moment!!

Prayers that he continues on this wonderful path!!

PINK HUGS!
Rita
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This article so describes my situation with Dad. He has never been, and never will be, perfect. Most of the time he is not sober. But I can refuse to look at him as "a drunk." I see him as the person he is. I can benefit from those brief moments of connectedness with him. I can remain GRATEFUL for the goodness that does come, and avoid focusing on the negative.

Yes, life is a journey and sometimes there are ups and sometimes there are downs, with each and every one of us. If I hold onto the blame and accusations, I will miss out on the opportunities life DOES bring me. I am sorry for my siblings who have not gotten this. I wish they had gone to Al-Anon like I told them to so many years ago, so that they too could maintain a relationship with him, with healthy thinking and healthy boundaries, and a few moments of joy with him. I think they will regret it sooner or later.

Continuous Happiness from Continuous Happiness, Self Accusation : Evening Round-Up

An Impossible State, and It's Well It's So

I am often asked, "Are you happy ALL the time?" My answer is no.

A continuous state of happiness cannot be enjoyed by any human. There are no plans, no habits, no methods of living that will insure unbroken happiness.

Happiness means periods or marking posts in our journey along life's road. These high points of bliss are enjoyed because we have to walk through the low places between times.

Continuous sunshine, continuous warm weather, continuous rest, continuous travel, continuous anything spells monotony. We must have variety.

We need the night to make us enjoy the day, winter to make us enjoy summer, clouds to make us enjoy sunshine, sorrow to make us enjoy happiness.

But, dear reader, mark this: we can be philosophical and have content, serenity and poise between the happiness periods.

When you get blue, or have dread or sorrow, or that indescribable something that makes you feel badly; when you have worry or trouble, then is the time to get hold of your thinking machinery, and modify the shadows that come across you.

Occupation and focusing your thoughts on your blessings, these are the methods to employ.

As long as you dwell upon your imagined or your real sorrows you will be miserable and the worries will magnify like gathering clouds in April.

Take the stand of changing your thoughts to confidence, faith, and good cheer, and busy your hands with work. Think of the happiness periods you have had and know there is happiness dividends coming to you. Keep this sort of thought and with it useful occupation, and the sunshine will dispel the clouds in your thoughts like the sun dispels the April showers and brings about a more beautiful day because of the clouds and storms just passed.

When trouble or sorrows come, sweeten your cup with sugar remembrances of joys you've had and joys you are to have.

Envy no one; envy breeds worry. The person you would envy has his sorrows and shadows, too; you see him only when the sunlight is on the face, you don't see him when he is in shadow land.

No, dear ones, I nor you, nor anyone on earth can have complete, unruffled, continued happiness, but we can brace up and call our reserve will power, reason, and self-confidence to bear when we come to the marshy places along the road. We can pick our steps and get through the mire and sooner than we believe it possible we can get on the good solid ground; and as we travel, happiness will often come as a reward for our poise and patience.

My friends say, "you always seem happy," and in that saying they tell a truth, for I am happy often, very, very often and between times I make myself seem to be happy. This making myself "seem to be happy" gives me serenity, contentment, fortitude, and the very "seeming" soon blossoms into a reality of the condition I seem to be in.

You can be happy often and when you are not happy, just seem to be happy anyway; it will help you much.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your posts. They warm my heart and give me strength. Thank you so much for being there with me on this journey. :ghug3