Notices

Health Concerns?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health Concerns?

I have been drinking very heavily, almost daily for almost 7 years, ever since my divorce. Heavily, meaning I can drink an 18 pack of beer in one night and have no hangover. I am 34 and female. I recently called my dr to check on blood work I had done last July, and my ast and alt liver enzymes are elevated. ast was 80 and alt was 99. First I was upset they didn't call me and have basically "fired" them. I am seeing a new Dr. tomorrow, but has anyone had lasting health issues, particularly liver issues due to alcoholism? I've been having pain in my liver area for about a year now and know I've damaged myself. I'm scared, i have young children. Can I live a normal life if I have cirrhosis? No more drinking for me, ever. I know that I have to stop. I guess I just want some feedback from others who had liver damage and if it healed itself after they stopped drinking and how long it took.
Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My understanding is that the liver can heal itself to some degree, but how much and how quickly would vary a lot. The best thing is to talk to your new dr. Reality is that when we drink alcoholically, we damage our bodies, as well as our minds and spirits. The main thing is to stop drinking now and focus on recovery.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Iam1976

I absolutely agree with Anna. It's important you speak with someone who knows what those numbers mean, and who can give you advice about what to do now.

There are many of us who expected the worse and got a far better prognosis
Good luck & welcome to SR

D
Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Welcome to SR.

Please talk to your doctor about what's going on. Please detox under medical supervision.

There are lots of folks here who have bad medical problems and are living good, sober lives. It may not be as bad as you think it is...we don't know, but you can get all kinds of support here no matter what.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

My alcoholism did not damage my liver..but my brain was affected
Depression was the reason I quit drinking.

Yes...your children and you will all benefit by your choice to abstain.
congratulations!,,,