Notices

Hello, I'm Lewis.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm Lewis.

Hello everyone,

My names Lewis, I'm 27 and from the UK.

I'm not sure if I was/am ever a "full blown" alcoholic but I have drank heavy for the last 9 years. I drink in pubs around 3/4 times a week and normally drink to get drunk (although not paralytic). I used to drink about twelve pints when i went out but I now drink about eight to ten double vodkas instead. My town has a HUGE drinking culture- everyone goes out. But I noticed that I was going out more and more on my own just for 'something to do'. I kind of told myself I can't have a problem because I don't drink two days in a row, I now understand it doesn't quite work like that.

I suffer from an axiety disorder and stopping drinking is my last resort to try to control that and thus have a normal quality of life. I'm also obese and the drinking clearly doesn't help with weight loss. I haven't drank now in 25 days and although I didn't get any of the serious withdrawals I have found I am more depressed, more anxious and feel like staying in bed all day.

I'm posting here because I realise I was on a downward spiral and do not wish to get any worse. I think the hardest thing for me will be trying to enjoy myself sober in the evening/weekend. Also I miss the tranqualising affects of alcohol; I never had a panic attack when I was drinking.

Good luck to everyone else in their quest for sobriety!!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and Congrats on your 25days sober!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lewis

Welcome to SR

Sometimes I think it's more useful to look at the problems our drinking causes us than it is to try and slap a label on it.

I used to drink for anxiety/panic too (amongst many other reasons).

I think there are far better ways to deal with the problem tho - have you ever spoken to your Dr about it or thought about some counselling?

Congratulations on your 25 days - you'll find a lot of encouragement and support here

D
Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, and congrats!

I found that my own anxiety was actually withdrawal on the days I did not drink until the evening. Of course, you may have an anxiety disorder that would benefit from treatment. My suggestion is to see if you can wait a bit longer and see if the anxiety improves with continued sobriety. If not, try to see a doctor who specializes in addiction and alcoholism. You don't want to be trading one addiction for another, and some doctors aren't aware of the dangers of prescribing for alcoholics.

Congrats on your 25 days! Have you considered trying AA? The 12-Step program is very helpful in learning to cope with all of life's challenges without drinking.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Lewis - Glad you're here! Congratulations on 25 days of sobriety! You're right about drinking "not helping" anything. I had much more anxiety and depression problems when I drank than I do now. But I also take anti-depressants - it helps keeps me from getting into a bad cycle with really low moods. Have you talked to anyone about your anxiety?

Being tired and unmotivated is really common in early sobriety. I thought it would never end, but it did and after about 3-4 months I started feeling energized again.

Keep posting and reading. We're all doing this together!!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Feeling crummy is common in early recovery. If it persists much longer do see a doctor to rule out any physical causes. I too drank to numb myself and to quell anxiety, but of course the drinking just made the anxiety much worse. Make sure you're eating healthy and getting enough rest. Moderate exercise can help too, both with anxiety and depression.

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lewis!

Congratulations on 25 sober days! Good for you!

You may find that your anxiety/depression begins to improve soon as your body recovers. If not, it could be that you might talk to your dr about the issue. For me, the anxiety/depression came long before the drinking. Drinking definitely things worse, but I did need medication to help with the depression.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for all the replies

I've now been 38 days sober. I'm still going out quite abit at night to the pubs as I get too bored staying in, but I drive and just drink squash instead

The anxiety thing hasn't really been helped by not drinking. Pity really, was really hoping it would. I already see a doctor about it but was hoping not to go on antidepressents lol.

Hope everyone else is doing well an staying strong!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Heck, at 38 days I'd be pretty anxious, too, if I were hanging out in pubs.

Can't you find a better place to spend your free time?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lewis

Congratulations on 38 days

Have you checked with a Dr about your anxiety?

Cos I agree with Lexie - perhaps some of the anxiety is because you're like a coiled spring hanging around drinkers?

(and yes I know 'UK - the only place to go is pubs'...but I'm an Australian and that's not true here, so I'm not convinced it is there either)

I stopped going to the pub - those of my mates who refused to meet anywhere else I lost contact with...but I made new friends and rediscovered some really good old mates too.

D