Notices

question

Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question

Hi everyone, I have been sober now for almost 4 months. I did end up going to rehab which was the best decision I have ever made in my life. When I first got to rehab I had detox and that was not fun of course. But once I got past that I started to feel great.Although I did have a problem sleeping. When I came home I started back working out and was doing well. When back to work the very next day. After about a month things started to change. I started to feel like crap.No energy and just didn't feel like doing anything. I could barely get out of bed. I have gained about 10 lbs. Some days I don't even leave my house or even comb my hair. I finally went to the dr and he said that the dopamines in my brain was probably low due to years of alcohol, steroid and opiate abuse.He put me back on an anti depressant But, I don't feel depressed. He said I should feel better in two weeks and I really don't. Maybe just a little bit. Anyone else felt this way after they stopped drinking and using? I'm asking for medical advice. My dr did say if I didn't feel better in 2 weeks to come back and have blood work done.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Burn to ashes, rise in flames

Hey tribal. Congrats on going to rehab and getting sober. If you don't mind sharing, I'm wondering what dose of antidepressants you're on. I take 40mg of Celexa daily. I'm glad you don't feel depressed, but you may find the boost of serotonin in your brain that anti-d's offer will make it easier to find the energy/motivation to get out of bed and do all the things you want and need to do. 2 weeks is when the first of the good feelings start to be felt, but it takes about a month for the full effect to be experienced. I think the bloodwork is an excellent idea too because your symptoms could also be related to a vitamin deficiency, like iron or B-vitamins. Anywho, I'm not a doctor so I can't give you medical advice, these are just some things I've experienced personally, so if you're not feeling good, definitely give your doctor a ring and ask for some bloodwork and discuss what your other options are.
Hope you feel better soon, and congrats again!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mrs

I'm taking 200 mg of wellbutrin a day. I also take vitamin and have high powered blender that I put fresh veggies and water and blend and drink almost daily. I find that I have no desire to do anything. Not even take my dogs outside. This is so frustrating because I thought when I quit drinking I would have my life back. I use to look forward to going to work and now the only thing I look forward to is going from the bed to the couch.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What you describe reads off as symptoms when an alcoholic stops drinking, if you were to add in unpredictable moods, irritability, and a sense of the world appearing wrong, grey and unattractive.

If that's it, unfortunately the docs have never yet found a fix for it.

For lots of alcoholics who have decided never to drink again, those feelings and perceptions overwhelm their firm commitments eventually and they have to drink to straighten their heads out again.

If that does happens with you down the road, observe how after the drunk when you're back in your right emotional state it's clear that you don't want to drink and that drinking was obviously a bad idea, and that you're certain you'll be more careful this time and it will be different.

Alcoholism is facinating stuff.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mrs

I can't drink. My sister died June 24,2010 and from that day forward drinking was no longer fun. Every time I drink I sit and cry over her and make everybody in phone reach miserable. I use to be able to sit and drink and enjoy a movie and go to bed.(well, most of the time) So I realize now that I can't drink no matter what.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think what CD was trying to say is that most relapses occur because living sober becomes unbearably difficult for the alcoholic.

That's why the Steps are so crucial to lasting, happy sobriety. The Steps help us to cope with life on life's terms--because we don't get to live life on our own terms. That's what got so many of us in trouble to begin with.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Tribal

Congratulations on your sober time

I dunno, that sounds like depression as I've experienced it, but of course none of us are doctors. It might be any number of things.

I remember myself that sometimes anti-ds take a while to kick in. Some you and the doctor will have to work out whats best for you in terms of what med and what dose too.

If it's been two weeks, I'd go back and get that blood work and tell him/her you're still concerned

D
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mrs

Thanks Dee. Probably wouldn't hurt to have my liver checked anyway.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Tribal

D
Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like depression to me, from my own experience. And anti-d's take a few weeks to kick in. I'd see the doctor again and tell him/her how you're feeling. I'm glad drinking's not an option for you cause you know it would only make things worse.

When I was first put on anti-d's many years ago it took almost a month to have any effect but when they started working I felt like a much happier person. Maybe if what you're on doesn't help in a few weeks, the doctor could put you on something different. Different meds work differently (better or worse) for different people. Don't give up.