Notices

Just Joined Today

Old 01-22-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trish48

Just Joined Today

Hello...I joined because I have recently been having issues with avoiding using drugs even though I have not used in more than 15 years.

I have been in treatment for the last three years for Bipolar Disorder and PTSD which I pretty much self medicated for with drugs and alcohol all my adult life.

I had broken off all contact with my family members 4 years ago because it was an extremely dysfunctional and negative situation, however recently made contact again because my my mother was in poor health when I broke contact and I was feeling guilty about leaving things off on a bad note with her.

She is now in a nursing home in very poor health and not expected to live much longer. That situation along with the fact that a drug dealer lives in my building are contributing to the temptation to use again.

I am hoping to find some practical tools and resources here to help with that.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Trish! I don't have experience with drugs other than alcohol, but I'm sure others will be along who do. Same concept, I imagine...decide that you won't use today, and do whatever it takes to stick to that. I know you'll find lots of resources and support here; it's really a great group of people.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Trish! Glad you are here, I'm a relative newcomer and I find that SR is a very supportive place to be.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am only having problems with alcohol as well. Yet I have a sibling (sorry still being a bit anonymous) living with me that has done meth for over 25 years.

The only real tip I can give, as i'm in a family that is dysfunctional some is this: "Think of yourself first". I know when you heard news about your mom that could really jar ya (would get to anyone), but if you need a safe distance then don't feel bad to use it. Find times when you can see your mom alone, and other family members aren't around to get on you if needed. Show your mom ways you care if you want to, without getting others involved. If your mom herself is being negative on you, and you don't want to get into it. You have to think about what could happen in chats with your mom and think of ways to defuse it. If you want to talk about it all and be open since your mom is in poor health, just triple check your ready for the good ole' (rough) "talk".

I'm new here as well. Hope my ideas help some. Just decided to post on your thread cause I have some family issues too.

B
Old 01-22-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Trish

I'm sorry for your family situation and for your mothers health - that's never easy.

I think support is absolutely vital when we feel vulnerable - and you'll certainly find that here
Have you used any real life, face to face, support in the past?

That may be an option too - use whatever you have to get yourself back on solid ground.

Keep reaching out Trish
D
Old 01-22-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 01-22-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Burn to ashes, rise in flames

Hey Trish! Welcome to SR. I'm sorry about your mom. I'm getting back into therapy next week and looking into local meetings, I'm not sure if you feel like that would be helpful to you but it might be something to consider. Otherwise, SR is fantastic, I'm on here a few times a day and it is really helping me stay clean. Lots of love and hugs to you! Welcome, welcome!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trish48

Yes, Dee74, I have been in treatment for the last three years with a very good therapist for PTSD and Bipolar Disorder.

She is also very helpful with the problems I'm having now with the family situation and the temptations to use again. I'm here because I'm looking for more support, especially at times when my Therapist is not available, although, the Mental Health Center does provide good support after hours as well.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Well you'll surely find lots of support here any time of day or night.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to know of your Mom's condition...
It's sad to see our elders began to fade.

How do you know there is a dealer in your building?
Just curious.

Welcome to SR...
Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome aboard trish...

leave the guilt behind,

your available for the mama now,

try to stay focused on that,

and as far as Mr DD,

leave he/she or it behind taboot!

bottom line, you dont have to pick up,

and have loads of support.