Notices

Day 20 Still struggling!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 20 Still struggling!

Im a 25 yr old male from australia.This is my 20th day sober. I've been drinking heavily for 4 years. As of the 2nd of January I've stopped drinking. The first week I took 2 Valium a day. The second week I felt fine! Since then I'm struggling with a really bad sleeping pattern, finding it hard to deal with stress, really bad paranoia, i suffer from anxiety which makes things worse!
Last week I was also getting headaches which ive never really had headaches before. I took mersyndol for relief. The last few days ( 18th 19th and 20th day ive taken 1 Valium a day to help with my symptoms and anxiety. )

Has anyone else been through anything like this?

Michael
Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery is a time of great upheaval, emotionally and physically. If you don't start feeling better in a week or two or three please see your doctor to rule out any physical causes.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, early recovery is a very emotional time. You can learn new ways to deal with anxiety and stress that are healthy.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael

I never had paranoia but I had all the other things - they gradually came right for me but if things get too rough I think it's always best to see a Dr

Welcome to SR
D
Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Michael, I quit when I was 24 and had a hell of a time struggling with anxiety, depression, and insomnia. I always struggled with sleep my whole life which I think is what led to my nightly drinking. Eventually it took over my whole life and I was completely out of control (drinking all day, hospital visits, jail, friends avoiding me). The one constant I've seen when I'm feeling healthy is exercise and nature. Go outside if you don't already. Do it as often as possible. Here's another thing I find that helps. Fix your diet. Are you eating processed junk every day? If not, great. However if you're like 80% of people you just eat what's convenient. Try to return to a prehistoric way of living and eat only things you could kill with a stick or dig out of the ground. When you're at the grocery store, stick to the perimeter where everything is refrigerated or ripening. Avoid the middle aisles where everything is preserved in boxes and cans. That stuff is already dead and will not help heal you. Eat a variety of fresh foods. Drink so much water that it feels like an addiction. If you cannot get outside into the sun and you don't eat organ meats you are deficient in fat soluble vitamins. Research cod liver oil. Since I can't get into the woods as much as I would like, I always take the stairs (even if it's 15 floors up) and I only eat real food and I supplement with nutrient dense cod liver oil. This is my greatest weapon in the fight against anxiety and depression in the modern civilized world. I don't know how anyone expects to feel normal and healthy while sitting in an artificially lit box eating processed food all day. Anyway, I've told you what I do. You don't have to do it my way but I'm being completely honest with you. I haven't had a sip in almost 2 years. Just don't ever touch a bottle for any reason. That's the real trick. I can guarantee you 100% it will lead you right back to where you were. You probably know by now there is no such thing as moderation or "sticking to beers" for real alcoholics. The first 6 months will suck and then you will have adjusted to your new lifestyle. Power through it. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up walter

Thanks Walter!
You advice / experiences I will definitely take on board!
Much appreciation!
Michael.