Notices

Volunteering?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobersaurus

Volunteering?

I keep hearing the suggestion of volunteering coming up in discussions about staying sober. How focusing on helping others instead of being in your own head all the time works wonders. I'm wondering what some of you have done or are doing in the way of volunteering. I know I could Google "volunteering" and my region, but I'm curious to know what you guys here enjoy and how you got started in it.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Nitenurse - My family and I volunteer at a soup kitchen and a food pantry, which we got started in through our church. I also volunteer at a homeless shelter for teen moms - I babysit so the young moms can get their schooling finished. I got started in that through some volunteers that I met at the food pantry!

My suggestion is that you think of a cause that really speaks to your heart, and maybe that will answer your question about how to get started. If you want to help women, for example, look in the phone book for shelters, etc.

You can also check with local chapters of the Salvation Army, United Way, and/or churches. Or, as you said, google.

I have met some of the best people in my life through volunteering. I hope you will find something you are passionate about and share your talents with someone who needs them. I find that I get back much more than I give.

Jomey
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well a lot of my volunteering has been right here LOL but I've done some real life stuff too.

I live in Australia so it's probably different but we have a big volunteering website for the state...you pick the areas you have expertise in or want to work in...put your name down and wait for contact, or ring the numbers provided...I wanted to work in music (old people's homes, children) but I ended up volunteering mostly in museums and libraries...my other former career. I did do some charity shop work tho

Helping others really helps me to get out of my own head - it was a refreshing perspective after 20 years of alcoholism....it feels good to do something constructive, and not expect rewards - although it is rewarding to me personally to actually give something back

D
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The same week I began recovering I 'fell' into a volunteer situation that changed my life. I also moved with my husband to a new city where English was not the primary language, so I wasn't able to work.

I got involved in a Women's Drop In Centre in the downtown core of a major city. It was a place where women who lived on the street, or in poverty could spend the day. I was privileged to meet and get to know some amazing women. These women could come in and greet us with a smile, even though they had no home, no family, no money at all. They were always grateful for some conversation or the offer of a pair of winter boots. Very quickly, my problems with recovery, were put in perspective.

I also became very close friends with a couple of volunteers who worked there, and one of them was truly a mentor and guide for me. Who knew? I started out thinking that I might have something to offer these women, and was surprised to learn that they gave me far more. I volunteered there for 8 years and it was truly one of the best experiences of my life.

This experience is one of those things that makes me absolutely sure that the Universe has a plan for me.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't have much time for volunteer work right now (though I plan to do some when I retire in a few months).

I can tell you that in the past I got a lot out of my volunteer work at a shelter for battered women. It fills a real need. It can be frustrating to watch people return to abusive situations, but you learn that just as in quitting drinking, it takes many people several "practice" attempts to change their situation before lasting change is possible.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

My family and I started volunteering a few years ago, when I thought it would benefit them and their self esteem to help others. We have worked at a church feeding the homeless, and people from shelters. That was very rewarding, and we enjoyed the people we met. We have put together baskets full of food and delivered them to families in need for Thanksgiving. We have adopted families for Christmas, and delivered gifts to them as well. We cleaned up a Salvation Army that was located in the inner city, and landscaped it. These were all activities that it wasn't necessary for the volunteers didn't have to be 18 to do. I've also worked concessions at a concert venue to raise money for a womens shelter.
The feelings of being able to give of yourself to others that need it, and are truly grateful, are priceless.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I bet you will find a ton of things to do. The best way to start is to say "yes" when people ask you if you could do something for them.
SH
Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The Veteran's Administration, VA clinics are always looking for people. You'll meet some interesting people there.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did Red cross and also worked in a clinic for the
needy without insurance.

I was active in my church and the eastern Star.

For years now....I've been a committed AA member
and focused my efforts on helping others find recovery.

Hope you find something that interest you....
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for that question as I have also been looking for ideas. I recently signed up for habitat for humanity and am also looking into some search and rescue work. I have recently been hanging around old freinds who are involved with church. They all seem to be volunteering in differnt ways soup kitchens, ronald mcdonal house, mentoring troubled youth, and many more. I think it is important to find activities that you may enjoy but can also real give something back. I hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

In AA we call it "being of service". We sponsor (e.g. mentor) other individuals, take commitments to help with the various parts of meetings (from making coffee to clean up to being the secretary of a meeting). There is also what is called H&I - which is hospitals and institutions, where we basically run a meeting at a hospital, jail, or treatment center.

Even if AA isn't your thing, you can help other alcoholics by sharing your experience, strength, and hope with them.

And like others have said, there are a lot of ways to help people who aren't alcoholics. Google "volunteer opportunities" with your city name, ask your local priest/rabbi/minister for advice, or just call up one of the large charities such as the Red Cross and ask them what you can do.

If you don't have a volunteer opportunities nearby, SR is a great place to help out too.

The key is to DO rather than THINK. Thinking always got me in trouble.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobersaurus

Thanks everyone. I thought about what I enjoy doing and came up with the idea of helping adults learn to read and write at local libraries. It hadn't occurred to me to incorporate what I'm good at into volunteering. I'm not the most proficient verbal communicator (at all) given my nerves, so hopefully this will teach me something too. I will report back on how it goes!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I thought about what I enjoy doing and came up with the idea of helping adults learn to read and write at local libraries.
My mother-in-law did this for years. She loved it. Told me that she enjoyed reading so much (she was a prolific reader) that she wanted others to enjoy too.

Beth
Old 01-22-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

GREAT idea. I've thought of volunteering to do that, myself.

Reading and writing are my greatest pleasures--how terrific you can share that gift!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Twice a week I spend an afternoon reading for a blind woman...I also volunteer at a nursing home reading & passing meals. I've cut back a little since my own surgery & I miss it.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

At no cost I've been conducting a dual-diagnosis treatment information class at an adult care facility for some time. The reward has been both rewarding and educational. I learn as much as I impart. I cannot believe how much this experience alters ones perspectives...mine and theirs.

I'm pleased to represent recovery from a non-religions POV. My group is called: Freedom Recovery. Its a popular group and growing. We may be wacky, but we are sober.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I take the message of recovery into prisons which I find oth challening and rewarding. But hower I feel about it I simply do it.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

nitenurse, great thread. Since giving up my volunteer work as a donor to the area liquor stores, I have been helping guys from my IOP group, but reading this thread makes me realize that is dwindling as they disappear or get healthier. So it is time to find a new way to be of service. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have volunteered at my local center for the arts, AA related stuff, and have belonged to a few grassroots organizations focused on making positive and local change within the community.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree, this is a wonderful thread.

AA focuses, in part, on service as a means to recovery--for us and for others. But EVERYONE would benefit by being of service to others. It brings us out of ourselves (which is a sick place, for most of us!) and helps us to focus on being part of the solution to something, rather than part of the problem.

I'm looking forward to doing a lot more service work (in and out of AA) in the near future.

There's almost always something you can do, even if your time for it is limited. Make a few phone calls to agencies or nonprofits that do something you care about, and ask what kind of help they need. Chances are you will find something you can do, even if it's only giving an hour or two per month.