Notices

Normal life

Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Normal life

I found myself at Panera this morning with my daughter. She's 2. We were killing time, waiting for my son at school and just looked like a normal pair I'm sure. We each had a muffin and she had a toy with her. We were playing with the toy. I was interviewing it and she thought it was funny.

Last year when we had time to kill I'd drive through McD's and drive around, listening to the radio. All those hours spent watching the road instead of my daughter. Gulping gatorade. Head pounding. Stuffing myself with fatty food to take the edge off. My head spinning with promises to myself. More broken promises. tonight I'll only have 2, like a normal person. Tonight I won't have any. Tonight I'm working so I won't be home until late so it'll be easier to have none.

Of course, I always had one. I mostly had 5, 6, more on 'special' occasions.

Anyway. There I was this morning. Just eating a muffin with my daughter.

Shouldn't be a scene that moves me to tears, but it is
Old 01-21-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is amazing to look back at the amount of time we wasted on the ACT of drinking..that includes all the thoughts of how many..where...which liquor store to hit because you can't hit the same one every day. Wasted. In so many ways..gratitude comes naturally these days doesn't it? Glad you got out while everyone is still young!!! Stay happy!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know there were more than a few times that I shed tears at the simplicity of my life.

When I was drinking, the thought of living as I am now seemed like it would be impossibly boring. That was my addict mind jumping in. Peace and contentment are amazing!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had those same moments SSIL! Even when the scene is exactly the same from outward appearances—my daughter and I having lunch at home, sitting in our usual chairs—it's so different to me. Because I'm actually focused on her, instead of secretly feeling regret about the night before or counting down the hours until my first drink of the day.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like normal...the sober me appreciates the little things too...breakfast, coffee and a few chores in the AM , sure do beat, barfing, a pounding headache and being 2 hours late for work, hiding my puffy face and red eyes in my office, fighting off nausea until i can have something fatty to "take the edge off" too.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love being sober. Last week I went to the market and I found blueberries, 1.99 per pint in the middle of winter. I love blueberries. I bought 6 packs and have one now every day, I indulge and love it. Nothing better. And I am thankful every morning for not drinking.....
Old 01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks SSIL75.

One of the greatest gifts of recovery for me is recognising the beauty and value of moments like that...they may be small, but they're like diamonds in value to me now

D
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Burn to ashes, rise in flames

Beautiful post, SSIL75. The cravings are pretty bad tonight and you reminded me of why I'm trying so hard. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thx for sharing

I too agree how I just love the simple things in life....I really missed them and so glad to have them again.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

A W E S O M E ! Good for you! Sure it was a great time for your daughter too.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Excellent Stuff Thx for sharing!

Great you done this while your kids young enough to enjoy all those special moments to come!

Missed that with my daughter as she is now a grumpy teen!

Fortunatley, my sons still only 7, I have been sat here since 6am waiting for him to get hiz lazy bones out of bed so I can give him a game of pool! Not bad on a Sat morning, beats those hangovers till noon where I wouldnt engage at all!