Notices

A wake-up call to all of us

Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A wake-up call to all of us

I went to my evaluation and therapy appointment today. Wow... A lot of paperwork!
I thought I was feeling pretty good... But as the psychologist was asking about my withdrawal symptoms he became concerned. So much so that he called the on-call pyschiatrist and told me I should be concerned, too. His professional advise: go to detox or go to the pyschiatrist ASAP. He said he couldn't even tell me to stop drinking completely until I did one of the two.

Let's be clear on some things before I continue:
I am at work today as usual, i.e. I can function rather well and it's been a good day so far
I have not had a drink since Tuesday evening
I slept ok (not great) last night
I didn't even notice my slight shake until he pointed it out
I chalked up my other symptoms to a mild flu (fever, diarrhea, night sweats, confusion, no appetite)

He explained something I already knew but perhaps didn't really believe... Alcohol withdrawal is more dangerous than withdrawal from heroin, cocaine, crack. Getting physically stable is essential. It is honestly dangerous to do it alone.

I'm sharing this with the group because I am concerned for myself and for all of you who are trying to detox without help. Alcohol is a dangerous addiction, even when we aren't drinking!

Please be careful and reach out for help when you're ready.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, we warn people about that all the time. Detoxing from alcohol can be deadly. It is important that people not attempt to do it alone. I hope you did what your therapist suggested.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

You're doing a wonderful thing passes this on as there are folks on here trying to quit who don't understand the dangers involved.

Thanks!

...and I of course have to ask - so when do you go to detox and/or when is your appt with the pyschiatrist?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did. I have no excuse in the world not to follow it! Appointment is tomorrow at 10 am. Until then, I have the tools to make it safely.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Silly)) - thanks for posting this. When I was in nursing school, years ago, the first death I ever dealt with was someone who died from abrupt alcohol withdrawal. It was at a psych hospital, but he died before they could even get him admitted into the detox program.

I'm glad you're following your dr's advice, and I appreciate you posting this.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Medically unguided alcoholic detox can result in sky rocketing blood pressure which can lead to esophageal hemorrhaging, seizures, cardiac arrest and other horrors. Do be careful. It's no joke.

Someone close to someone in my home group (not in a program, sadly) recently died detoxing. They had numerous seizures and died in heart failure.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My second husband almost died during an acute withdrawal episode brought on by his admission to the hospital for pneumonia (he didn't tell anyone how much he drank, though he did admit to a drinking problem). He hallucinated, was violent and had to be put into restraints, he slipped into a coma that lasted over a week and his liver and kidneys shut down. Doctors weren't sure he would live.

Thanks for posting this, and best wishes for your safe, medically-supervised detox!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Really good post, silly. Thanks! You know, the subject of withdrawal would make a really good television special, or something for Dr. Phil......

I never knew the dangers of withdrawal or alcohol poisoning before I came to SR. People need to be educated.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by silly View Post
I did. I have no excuse in the world not to follow it! Appointment is tomorrow at 10 am. Until then, I have the tools to make it safely.
Silly - this is great news. You'd be surprised how many alcoholics don't listen to medical advice

I, also had no idea how dangerous detoxing was. I don't think it's common knowledge.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I certainly hope you will take this professional advice seriously.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am in a similar situation.. I am at 29 hours off, not feeling 100% but no available detox in my area.

Should I have that drink to stabilize or just do my best?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...20th-2011.html

When do you know you are out of the danger zone?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went to rehab after I hit my bottom, and thought the medical routine they put us through was a way to run up to bill... until I saw another patient have a grand mal seizure a more than a week after coming out of detox (detox was when you were under medical supervision 24 hrs a day, usually lasted 3 days or so at this place). As is said every day here at SR, get medical advice...
Old 01-21-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hello I want to stop franking but I don't want lose my job by going to detox any suggestions
Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Consult your doctors, guys. It may well be that they can check you out and help you through a home detox. You don't necessarily in all cases have to go into a detox facility. But you should get your doctor's OK. Sometimes they can prescribe meds that will help with symptoms.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Really good post, silly. Thanks! You know, the subject of withdrawal would make a really good television special, or something for Dr. Phil......

I never knew the dangers of withdrawal or alcohol poisoning before I came to SR. People need to be educated.
Dr. Phil is neither a medical doctor nor a licensed psychologist.

OTT
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Checking in with the Dr. is a good thing. Glad you went Silly
Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

WOW, I didn't realize the affects of quitting cold turkey can do!! I am on day 4 am I out of the woods? This is kinda scaring me.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In that paranoia and reading this I asked my wife to check me into ER last night "just in case".

Waited over 2 hours for a doctor.. The reason I checked in was because I started to feel a little numbness in on one side of my face and head. They did the blood work, I was fine. Heart was fine. BP a little high.

Doctor prescribed Valium to take over the course of the next 3 days. The last drink was 40 hours ago.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

All:
My doctor is helping me through home detox. Nobody will ever know unless I tell them. 1/2 a sick day (because I want it) and nobody is the wiser.

I don't want to go to a detox facility, either. I mean, I would..... but I don't want that.

The questions about how long detox lasts, what are the signs, etc can only really be answered by a doctor. I can tell you though that I don't have many signs (see original post) but the doctor confirmed that alcohol takes a long time to clear out of your system and at the rate many of us consume, it takes even longer.

I feel safe now and it's a nice feeling.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

((some guy)) you did the right thing. I'm happy for you and your wife!