Caught him chopping up a pill.......

Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caught him chopping up a pill.......

so my worst fear is a reality....my husband is now snorting Diluadid. He said "that's" way better than taking 80mg of oxycotin3-5/day"

Is that true.....I feel so stupid because I want to beleive him but is that just part of his addiction?

He went to a detox dr and they want to put him on Subloxone? He made and went to the appt on his own....said he was going to start it on Monday....I want to trust him but do I?

What should I expect from him taking that medication?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I spent a long time asking these kinds of questions. Am I crazy? Is what he says really true? Is this really alcoholism?
Over so many years with him (10+) I had lost the ability to trust my own instincts and see what was right in front of me. A grown, college educate, independent woman had become reduced to questioning and questioning again the simplest of things.
An addict will look right in your face and tell the most ridiculous lies about using and somehow a love one will believe. We want so badly to believe.

Other will be along to give their experience. I just wanted to offer my support and say I understand how you would be questioning what he tells you and yet feeling stupid for doing so.

Hugs to you.

Alice
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just don't know what to do day to day with this....

Let it be? Continue on as nothing is going on? Do I be supportive? How do I be supportive? I feel like a constant detective, trying to find out, what kind of pills he took.

Does it even matter anymore at this point? I feel lost and don't know what to do....I want to scream but can't because my 2 year old, 5 year old and 7 year old need a mommy who is in control because thier daddy is not....

I hate that he says it's my fault we don't have sex anymore...it's been 6 months since we had a any intimacy and I'm scared because I don't miss it with him. Are we doomed? Where can I go next?

I can't leave my kids with him, "high" to get to a meeting that's is still 30 minutes away for me......I don't know what to do but come on here and read stories and I still feel lost?

Teresa
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

12 steps

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Yeah, it's part of addiction…called rationalizing. Think of it as a diabetic saying a bag of Oreos is way better than a hunk of chocolate cake. The Dilaudid does not come with instructions of snort 1-2 tablets as needed. He's just switching one drug for another.

What should you expect if he goes on Sub? Nothing. No expectations of what his recovery should look like because it's not yours. Hopefully his doctor will require that he participates in a recovery program along with the Sub. Sub is just another tool, not a miracle pill that cures addiction.
Do you think it's important that AH also gets in a program for recovery...I can't see how taking a medication (subloxone) alone is going to fix this or my attitude about his problem.

How do you guys cope? It's hard to shut my mouth when he walks in the door and is clearly altered.....I feel like I have to put all this trust in him that he will get better and I can't say or give input....

Should I tell his parents or deal with this alone? Maybe they can talk to him?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Snorting Dilaudid is extremely dangerous because he could overdose.
It is a very powerful opioid, like morphine. Addictive and dangerous.
Saying it is better than taking 80mg of oxy 3-5 times a day sounds like addict speak to me.
In other words, a lie.
No doctor is going to prescribe snorting a highly addictive pain medication.
If he starts to take suboxone, mixing the two will be dangerous.

How are you feeling about this? It must be frightening to catch him chopping up a pill.
My oldest son is addicted to heroin, and when I saw the blood spots on the backs of his hands, and found needles in his room, he had to leave my house.
He was swaying and trying to talk to me and deny he was high!
Drug addicts need professional help. Please find some NarAnon or AlAnon for yourself.
You need support to help you.
More people will be along soon to give more words of wisdom.

I am glad you found SR, but sorry for the reasons.

Beth
Old 01-19-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't leave my kids with him, "high" to get to a meeting that's is still 30 minutes away for me......I don't know what to do but come on here and read stories and I still feel lost?
I am sorry confusedalways, I was typing my response to your first post.
It seems you are already at the breaking point, but that is just my opinion.
With three young children you must be quite stressed out.

Beth
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

confusedalways
Addiction is a very confusing disease. It leaves us feeling disoriented. Our thinking gets fuzzy. And the addict seems to be particularly talented at keeping us in that state of confusion when they are in active addiction.

Do you have anyone who could provide you support who is closeby? Are his parents or your parents anywhere closeby? If so, perhaps they would be willing to watch your children for a couple of hours one night a week to allow you to get to a meeting. If you don't have anyone to help out in this way, you can still get the literature from Naranon at:

http://www.nar-anon.org/Nar-Anon/Nar...22.2010%29.pdf

There are many things you can do to help yourself even if you can't get away for a face-to-face meeting. You can read some great books regarding addiction and recovery and codependence/enabling. You can read some of this wonderful literature from Naranon. And you can spend time here on SR.

When we begin concentrating on ourselves, our minds begin to clear and the things we need to do become clear. It takes time and a lot of work on ourselves but we can do it. We can find serenity whether the addict in our lives is using or not.

gentle hugs
Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From what I know, Delauded is one of THE strongest pain medications available.

Followed by Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Meperidine (Demerol). It's compared to heroin frequently.

If "best" he means (more powerful), then yeah.

I was given Delauded when I had kidney stones. After a few hours, my stones passed. Though I was only on it for 8 hours, when I stopped . . . I felt like the back end of a dead skunk (that was run over by 15000 semi trucks) for a WEEK. It took that long to get the stuff out of my system. My whole body ached and hurt. Oh man. Just remembering that makes me shudder.

And yes, it's part of his addiction. His mind isn't a healthy mind. The addiction is in control and the addiction wants more more more.

I don't know about the suboxone deal, but I'm sure others here do!