Notices

First Day..Scared

Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day..Scared

I've been drinking toooooo much since getting divorced last January, part of why we divorced, I think I've had three days of no drinking because I WAS SUPER SICK. I woke up today, feeling crummy, again, this morning and just said to myself this has to end TODAY, But I home restless and scared of bad withdrawal
Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JediTrey

You'll find a lot of support here
D
Old 01-19-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by JediTrey View Post
I've been drinking toooooo much since getting divorced last January, part of why we divorced, I think I've had three days of no drinking because I WAS SUPER SICK. I woke up today, feeling crummy, again, this morning and just said to myself this has to end TODAY, But I home restless and scared of bad withdrawal
All that mess in your head? Let it get much worse and withdrawal will seem like trip the ice cream parlor.

Play it smart. Few can take on the illness of alcoholism alone and win. There is help available, that can take action if the withdrawals become serious. And be there once you make it through your initial sobering up. The chemical may leave our body.....the illness remains, unleashed and ready for a fight for survival. This is where help is critical. To get us through the self defeating, sabotaging messages that are in our head. The illness of alcoholism centers in our brain. We really can't rely on that organ to help get us out of where we are.

I found the help I needed to sober up and stay sober at AA. No, I never aspired to be a member of AA, and there isn't anything we do there you can use on a resume. It did save my life. That's not a dramatization. I was going down for the last time when I was snatched up, wrung out, and tolerated by some people who had no real obligation to do so. And today, I am sober and reasonably happy. Things I would have bet on never happening to me again.

No extra points for doing this alone, the failure rate of DIY recovery is grim, and you don't sound like you are on a winning streak.

Alcoholics Anonymous : How to Find A.A. Meetings
Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found the first three days of w/d were the worst. AFter that I started feeling a lot better. If you've been too sick to drink for three days you should be thru the worst of it, but if not, please get medical help. Maybe you were so sick that you didn't notice you were also going thru w/d? Maybe the w/d were the reason you were so 'sick'. I hope you can find the support you need to stay sober. It's worth the effort.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

actually, what I meant by " so sick" was I literally had a bad flu or cold, so much so that I couldn't get out of bed. Every other day....drink drink drink
Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sip on cold water. I like bottled. Eat a big dinner and do it early instead of 9 or 10pm. You can do this. I passed time playing computer games and actually... NOT thinking all that much about drinking, more just reminding myself that what I need I had... Water, oxygen, food, entertainment and a life worth making better.

There's only one way through this... through it. Don't fight it, just accept it as a slight change. You aren't changing anything about yourself except for not drinking one specific type of beverage. You no longer drink! Tell yourself that and be cool with it. The rest of the world is yours!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Those used to be the only times I wouldn't drink, JediTrey, when I was sick. Every other day I'd be hitting it hard.

That all came to a stop when I got my second DUI last March. I was certain I was perfectly fine to drive (worked up a high tolerance), I remember the whole thing...still kinda surprised I was over the legal limit, actually.

But I knew that drinking was causing problems in my life. I also knew I could either keep drinking and cause more problems, or put the bottle down and try to work toward a better life. I chose the latter, and I'm so thankful I did.

I hope you're able to put away the alcohol before it causes more problems in your life. Not many things in life are truly static; things usually either get better or they get worse. I knew I was on the path to making things worse. Decided to go the other way.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Oh, man, I drank even when I was sick, sometimes even more. Glad you are here, Jedi. Stick around for a while. This place is great!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Jedi. Just keep way hydrated with water..it works. Hang out here. Read where drinking has led all of us...to sobriety!! Change your thinking..look at it as a brand new start to your life. Most likely it is! We will get you thru this. I think the first week is the roughest..just because you are used to drinking. Sleep may be out of whack for a few days..once you get thru it you will not believe how much better you feel. Hang in there!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Burn to ashes, rise in flames

Originally Posted by DrunkenBasement View Post
Oh, man, I drank even when I was sick, sometimes even more. Glad you are here, Jedi. Stick around for a while. This place is great!
Yep, me too.

Jeditrey, have you considered talking to someone about your divorce? Therapy has helped me get through some difficult things. You may want to see your doctor if your withdrawal symptoms are severe, and just to be sure that everything is working right- alcohol is hard on the body. Congrats on making the decision to get sober! You're not alone and you can do this.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support all, I need it. My health and life are beginning to be on the line. I've done so many horrible things when I'm drunk, sometimes don't remember doing them. Sometimes I wake up nervous about who I called or texted and what I might have said. I feel ashamed , guilty, and that I've wasted years of my life....I believe everyone when they say it gets better, and, feel/look better. I just wanna get there now. Having a hard time.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jedi,

Yes, you can do this, and it does get better.

Like you, I was very impatient too, but I found that learning about patience was part of the recovery process for me.

There is always someone here at SR and it's a great place to come for support and inspiration.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really does take time JediTrey.
I looked at it this way - I drank for 20 years...I can't expect everything to be fixed in a week.

Cut yourself some slack - give your mind and body time to heal and give yourself time to learn how to live sober.

There's a lot of support here- you're not alone

D
Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm having a tough day, this is about the time I start to drink...I'm antsy, can't sit still, bored, wondering what to do.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sticking by SR - reading posting - helped me get through a lot of those kinds of days JT.

D
Old 01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Jedi - Just don't think about anything but getting through today sober. I did what Dee did - I hung out here and read everything.

Getting through those moments of boredom and craving will make you stronger. It's like exercising: the more we do it, the stronger we get, and the better we feel. Put in the work today and it will pay off tomorrow. And you'll be SOOOOO glad in the morning that you didn't drink.

I know it's tough, like hanging on with your fingernails sometimes. But then you get to the point where sobriety is normal and you wonder how you ever lived like you did.

We're here for you!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by JediTrey View Post
I'm having a tough day, this is about the time I start to drink...
You don't need to drink. That is not the solution you are looking for. You can go about your business. Move along, move along.

May the force be with you JediTrey.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I have to admit, I feel a bit empowered. By this time of night, for over a year, I'd be super drunk by now..and today I'm not. I'm gonna do this
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

yea! Just keep saying "I can get through the next hour".....and stay tuned in! Tell that alcoholic voice where to shove it. You can do it!