Notices

Is this normal?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?

Hello and good afternoon everyone.

Just wanted to get some opinions on something I have going on lately. I am sober since December 12, 2010. I was addicted to pain pills. Never have I had an alcohol problem. Yes I have drank numerous times, but alcohol has never been an issue for me. I'd say in the past 12-16 months, ive had maybe a total of 12 beers. I just basically gave up drinking because I didnt like the feeling and felt it was dumb to just drink to "fit in with everyone else" when I was out with friends at the bar.

Lately, id say over the past 7-10 days, I have been thinking about drinking a fair amount of time. Almost to the point to where I am "craving" some sort of drink. Now I havent had anything to drink. Nor have I even attempted to go out to the bar or go to the store and purchase anything. I just wonder is this my "inner addiction" talking to me and craving some sort of high?

I know that right now drinking is definitely not an option because 1.) I am fresh in recovery and 2.) I also quit smoking cigs the same day and I know drinking will make me want a cig SO bad. Im just wondering if anyone else who was strictly a drug user/not an alcohol user did you get the same sort of feelings after being clean?

Thanks in advance for the replies. Stay strong everyone!!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It's quite common for people to shift from one addiction to another.

The way I see it is that stopping the drugs/drinking is the first step. And, then the hard work begins as you work on dealing with the underlying issues. That's the way to free yourself from addiction.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was normal for me - I smoked weed...I drank, but the weed was always my drug...when I gave up my regular weed smoking, although I wasn't aware of it at the time, drinking took its place.
D
Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Years ago I had a roommate who was quite the pot head. He didn't drink. In fact, he looked down on drinkers, me among them, with a fair amount of distain. Called us alcoholics. Then there was a long "dry" spell. No pot to be found. It wasn't long before my roommate starting drinking. It was one thing to be against drinking when he could get high. With the pot gone, the urge to get high was still there. Alcohol filled that hole.

He moved back to the midwest. Years later I heard he was an alcoholic.

I myself quit all of my drug use by 1986. Quit drinking this past year. Wasn't long into my recovery before I started thinking about using again. Go figure. Moral of story--Sober means sober!