Notices

My first AA-meeting tomorrow

Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first AA-meeting tomorrow

Hello all!

Wondering about one thing. Do I have to stand up and present myself?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

No. It may be asked for you to introduce yourself, which in most meetings, is by our first name. It will be useful to the others present if you tell them that this is your first meeting, and that you have come for help. They will take it from there.

The most valuable thing you can bring, besides yourself, to your first AA meeting is as much willingness as you can muster. Life can be different. And much better. This is a way to get there.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

In my home group we ask that those "here for their first, second, or third AA meeting introduce themselves so we can get to know you" That provides our members the opportunity to offer help and guidance if you want it. It also allows us to give you a copy of the Big Book if you need it as well as a 24 hour chip. I still have my 24 hour chip nearly 10 years later. It is the most important chip I ever got as it is how I stay sober, only 24 hours at a time. I can not worry about the drinking I did before or whether or not I will drink tomorrow. I only have to not drink today.

I encourage you to talk with others after the meeting especially those that might share something that you can relate to or have a question about. Don't be afraid to jump into the program of AA with both feet, in fact, I would encourage you to do so. The program does work for many people but it does take putting the work into it.

Take care and I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I've got GREAT news for you.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

AA is full of people, just like you and they want to help, but only if you want to be helped.

My advice is to go in with an open mind, be willing to follow direction, and be honest at all times (especially with yourself).

Kjell
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Lushwell, Nandm and Kjell.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Here's a great primer on what to expect at your first AA meeting.

Pretty accurate, in my estimation.

Have a great meeting, and be sure to talk to a few people afterward--it's SO worth it!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One other thing... you certainly don't HAVE to identify yourself by your first name or say you are new (and you definitely don't need to say, "and I'm an alcoholic" unless you feel moved to do so), but letting people know you're there and you're new will only help you. People will go out of their way to welcome you and give you phone numbers and stuff.

Up to you, though--that's how to get the maximum benefit from your very first meeting.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post

I've got GREAT news for you.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

Kjell
This is completely true.

Some people come in sit down and stay silent for months. Some arrive and do give their name when asked if anyone is attending their first meeting.

Another thing I can guarantee you is that you will be SO WELCOME the SECOND anyone hears it's your first meeting, or that you are a newcomer. In fact 5+ years later that's how I am still treated, but newcomers do have a special place!

Enjoy!

And please go! Even if you chicken out (I did many times) try again tomorrow!

And keep coming back.

The ONLY requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

Cathy31
x