Notices

30 days w/ no AA

Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days w/ no AA

So I am finally at 30 days alcohol free! Pretty dang cool. I honestly can't remember a time when I have accomplished this.

It did get me thinking. Maybe I'm not the alkie I think I am. I haven't had that much trouble doing 30 days. No AA, no support of any kind. I def did not have DTs, withdrawals, or anything like that. Maybe some urges and boredom but nothing too big.

I know that when I do drink problems can occur but not everytime I drank. I also think that I have matured a lot since my early 20's and even just recently feel like I am more mature/aware of how to deal with alcohol.

I DO know if I did drink again that I would most likely drink excessively and get up feeling like crap. So, really that would be the main thing from that next drink.

I guess I will try to keep going. Can I get 60? We shall see.

Thanks SR for listening and the support over the past few months.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Hi Down,
well done on 30 days. Get another 30 down before thinking about drinking!

I have this voice telling me that maybe, just maybe, I'm not an alcoholic. But then again, if I was a normal, social drinker I wouldn't be here. I don't know, but I guess it's the same with you. Stick around here and keept winning. There's a power inside you that has brought you here because you want to be here!

vee
Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations DWD.

AA's not mandatory LOL.

no support of any kind tho? I dunno about you but I credit SR a lot in my recovery.

Do be careful how you step - I can't tell you the times I've convinced myself I was 'ok' because I got some sober time up, or because I didn't have a bad withdrawal, or no cravings...I never asked myself if I was so 'ok' why was my first impulse always to slam a few beers?

If I've learned anything it's that this is not a problem that you can fix in 30, 60 or 90 days.

Don't underestimate the task, DWD.
D
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The fact that you are even wondering whether you can make it another 30 days oughtta tell you something.

Seriously.

Congrats on the 30, but be careful about the mental gymnastics.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
I am at 5 months, and use an online site for my program. I go to AA once in a while. Guess what? I am still an alcoholic. Wow. It feels really good to say that. Not shaming. Relief. Now I don't have to play that game with myself anymore, am I, or am I not, don't have to drink/not drink/drink/not drink. This sober life is SO much easier.

I wish for you to be honest with yourself as to why you came here, and decide - are you done??
Peace,
Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days sober, that's awesome! I'm on day 17 and going about it the same way. I have leaned on SR a Lot but no AA or other program. I already know I'm an alcoholic, because of the fact that I cannot stop at a couple drinks, darnit that's where I'm powerless. Sure, occassionally I'll try to "prove" to myself that I can do it but it's all a game I'm playing. I sure don't want to stop at 1 or 2 drinks because once I start I just want to get the buzz or get drunk, that's my goal basically. I feel like crap the next morning and I constantly worry about what I'm doing to my body. I hate thinking about alcohol all the time, and that right there tells me I have a problem. Great job on 30 days, go for another 30, and hopefully in the meantime you will discover that a sober life really is better.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No2

Originally Posted by DownWDisease View Post
It did get me thinking. Maybe I'm not the alkie I think I am. I haven't had that much trouble doing 30 days. No AA, no support of any kind. I def did not have DTs, withdrawals, or anything like that.
This is why I always go back to drinking. I am forced to quit over and over being in the Navy and going out on a ship but when I go somewhere I always take the first drink and I always end up with little to no memory of what I did after I got past 6-8 drinks. I can never just go out and have 3-4 drinks and a good time. I need to get completely obliterated and it's obviously a problem.

Anyway if you are the same way when drinking then you are better off not doing it ever again because it only gets worse and worse until you are drinking 15-20 drinks to get the same effect, which I have no idea why anyone would do that to themselves but that's why we are all here.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 30 days sober! Good for you!

I don't use AA either, but I definitely use SR as my lifeline.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days...feels great doesn't it?

When I was in high school they had someone speak to us about alcohol addiction...they said the test was 6 no the...think you can manage that? 6 months ago I wasn't sure I could but now I have.

And yes I haven't used AA or another formal program....what I have done is worked with a Life Coach...which involves making a lot of real changes in my life and how I deal with life...and I have SR which is a constant source of inspiration and sharing.

So yes you can get to 6 months on your own...but I still think you need to work on your life...of course I've never met anyone alcoholic or not who couldn't benefit from some work
Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 30 days. Well done!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

30 is awesome, but since for alcoholics it's all or none, you should see your 60 days in 30 more.

It's easy to get to the next day, week, etc. for me. I know what's on the other side of sobriety... drinking that doesn't end until I'm ready to go to bed, or ready to pass out for the night. Same thing.

Being ready to be a slave to a liquid isn't for me. I wouldn't even allow myself to be a slave to the lady I love. Why an inanimate object like a liquid? :/

I'm an alcoholic because I can't drink like other people. When I did, I didn't want to stop at 3, 4 - 8... and needed to know there was always alcohol around in case I wanted more. That's the reality of it, straight out.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way to go on your sober time....
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Down, I see a bit of similarity between us when you reflect on this time that's gone by and wonder what's in store - and also on the part about no AA or structured approach.

You've probably already thought of this, but it sounds a little risky when you say "Maybe I'm not the alcoholic I thought I was." Maybe that is an expression of your general amazement at making it this far, in which case I can relate; I had no idea I could have done it. Who knows how far back in the past I could have been capable of doing this... But for some people, when they say that phrase you used, there is a value underneath that amounts to giving alcohol another shot and then it gets worse, and they found that out down the road; so be mindful of that.

It may be that you don't need to use AA, but you could have a change of heart in time. I haven't gone to AA since I quit, but I think about it sometimes. Some people find that they need to go further and make more progress, even once they are into years and not months. A year whisked by without using AA for me, but it may happen in the future. I think there is a pride in wanting to get things done by myself, and some people might call that Wanting Sobriety On My Terms or something like that. Even so, it doesn't take away from the work I do accomplish with myself. Maybe that can apply to you too as you go along.

For now, bask in the non-drunk present in one-day instalments.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats DWD—we're on the same timeline, I just hit 30 today too!

I've had the same thought: Hey if I can do this, maybe I'm fine! I've come to fear that thought. I've seen so many posts here from folks who had a month, six months, in some cases many years of sobriety, and decided they could enjoy a drink or two like other folks. It seems like they all tell the same story: they spiraled right back down, sometimes even lower than before, and sometimes for a stretch of months or years. And those are just the ones who made it back to tell the tale...

Maybe that wouldn't happen to me, I dunno. But there's only one way to find out for sure, and the risk is just too high for me.

Looking forward to seeing you here again in another 30 days!