Notices

Starting over & scared

Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Starting over & scared

Hello again!

Been out of the loop since October.

Thought I had some control for a couple weeks. All it took was one drink! Ive been drinking darn near everyday since a week before halloween.

I may attend my first AA meeting today and take my husband to one tonight. We enable each other. We are not even sure why we drink anymore. It does nothing for us. It causes us heartache and pain, not to mention the torment in my mind. I know how bad it is and what it can do to my body, so why cant I stop?

Everything in my life is perfect except my addiction to alcohol. Im scared of withdrawel symptoms. I dont drink all day long but I do drink everyday. Last time I stopped I had some symptoms but I think it was more mental than anything else.

Any words of encouragement and kindness would be really helpful to me at this time. I love everyone on SR and I know you can help me the same way you did last time.

Deperate for help!!!

~Shanchuy99~
Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. I tried and failed too many times to remember but finally made up my mind to stop for good and I did - and now have over a year sober. You can too. AA can be very helpful in giving it up for good. No matter what you do to stay sober, give it your best effort. I wish you well.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Thanks!

I really want to be sucessful. I wanna be able to say I have a year. Whatever Im doing now is not working so I have to come up with another way. Im hoping AA is the right choice for me. Its really time. I have to quit or its gonna kill me and my husband. I worry so much about his health because he has lost a lot of family to cancer and other deadly diseases. Alcoholism is no exception to deadly diseases. I just wish I knew what kept me going back to it. I appreciate your kind words!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by shanchuy99 View Post
I just wish I knew what kept me going back to it.
Sure you do, you used the very term in your first post: Addiction to alcohol.

Sounds like you want to quit, sounds like you have a plan (AA). Best of luck to you and Mr. Shanchuy.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Shanchuy99, I was in the same place your are now. Didn't know how to stop. Didn't know why I continued drinking day after day. Plain and simple.....I became an alcoholic! If you truly want to stop you must put the alcohol down and seek some help ASAP. Make a Doctors appt. and be truthful. Get into some support program. You will see there is hope for a wonderful life.

My life did not improve until I stopped drinking. You can do this!!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ShanChuy

Very Helpful, thank you!

Thank you so much for your input. Ive reached out to my doctor about my drinking, he know's of my health problems. He doesnt seem to be concerned. I think I need a new doctor. Ive tried without a support program before and that didnt work, so Im hoping AA will. Im nervous about going. Im really shy around new people. I guess I wont know if its right for me or not unless I try.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Try out that AA meeting! You can do this. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a informative link about de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome back...all my best to the two of you
Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Shan - there is a better way to live out there

D
Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,
Also, check out the women for sobriety program, it is online, I do it, and the women and program are wonderful. Very uplifting, very positive, I like it because of the approach. PM me if you want some more info,
Thanks,
Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're back! I know it's scary to think about going to a meeting, but what I've found is that it's just like talking to everyone here at SR. Everyone is friendly, laid back, and there for the same reason. I think once you go, you'll be just fine!

The best definition of addiction for me is when we do something even when we don't want to. I was at that point for a while, torn in both directions constantly, and it wore me down emotionally so much I finally knew I had to get sober. The obsession takes a while to fade, but it does.

Well, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, so just stay strong and stay close to SR!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back!

There is always lots of support here and it sounds like you have a good plan. I have one suggestion - I had to do more than just stopping drinking. I had to look at the underlying issues and deal with them. I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope u have better luck staying sober this time. Unfortunately it takes a huge scare for many people to quit. You dont have to go there.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You both can do this. We are doing it, which means it's very doable.
Mind over matter counts. As long as you accept alcohol as a mere liquid, you can it's not possible for it to transform its self into a physical entity and harm you, or make you do something against your will. If you decide you're not drinking one week, it can't make you. If you decide you're not for two more... it's the same.

Prepare and both of you do it. We'll all be here doing it too. All of us proving to others, it can be done, and is done... daily!