Notices

Trying to stop

Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to stop

This is my first attempt to get off alcohol.

Has anyone ever tried to wean themselves off to ease the withdrawals. Feeling kind of shakey. This is Day 1.

Thanks for any help.

Wish me luck...
Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes..... _Many_ times. Sometimes I last 2-3 days, other times I have lasted 5-6 months, but that "little voice" in the back of my head pulls me back in. All I can say is NEVER stop trying and NEVER give up. Every "relapse" is a learning experience, look back, see what triggered it, Write it down and remember it!
Wish you the best! Hang in there, keep yourself BUSY! ..Mike
Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Many members here have tried to wean themselves off alcohol but with little success. I've tried it many times but was only successful once. I'd advise seeing your doctor for help in getting safely thru withdrawals and then find or make a program for support in staying sober. All the best to you.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome blessings. Recommend you talk to a Dr. about withdrawals. It can be difficult to wean, or moderate, yourself off of alcohol. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blessings

Welcome!

Weaning never worked for me - if I could have controlled my intake I wouldn't have found myself in that position in the first place

It's always best to see a Dr - detox can sometimes be dangerous for some of us.

Get some professional advice
D
Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Doin' the wean as well feeling the shakes too. Good luck my friend.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies!

Doing ok so far.

Have spent much time reading on this board today. So much helpful info and support.

This just might work. It's about time.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I tapered down for three days (there was a limit, in advance) before throwing out all the booze. If you've already done that, though, I wouldn't start drinking again just to ease the withdrawal (though you should call for medical help if you get any scary symptoms--withdrawal CAN be very dangerous, though it's often merely very uncomfortable).
Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome blessings - I did the weaning thing the week before I came here and got sober. However, I did find myself having one night of binging during that week. So I guess trying it didn't hurt, but I wouldn't trust doing it for more than a couple days.

Glad you're here and hope you stick around - there's a lot of caring people who understand exactly what it's like to try to get sober.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I never lasted, cutting back. There was always a reason to say "Just tonight, wtf?" and have one, two or three more. Then the cycle would continue.

It wasn't until I made up my mind that it was OVER, that I've been able to walk away from it. That's because, no matter what comes up in life now, I say "wtf?" but there's the rest of the forumula about drinking alcohol no longer is an option. I deal with issues because they need tending to. Alcohol never helped me resolve an issue, it only extended it until I was sober enough to deal with it.

Withdrawals are cleansing. Try to keep nice cold water around. Sip on it and as you do, visualize the cleansing your body is going through, now that you no longer have any association with alcohol.

Conquering the mind is the key to leaving the self destructive life of alcohol behind.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this informative link on de toxing from alcohol

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I hope you can find a way to win over alcohol....many of us have.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome blessings hope all is going well with you.

If your withdrawl symptoms become severe you really should think about seeking medical help.
keep drinking plenty of water and eat small nutritious meals, l took vitamin B after it was recommended l should.
Reading the posts on SR is an excellent way to remain focused on your sobriety but meeting face to face with friends/support people is also probably a very good idea.
l wasn't able to do it on my own and needed alot of help from others as well as counselling and the support of AA.

The first step towards change is acceptance.
Once you accept yourself you open the door to change.
Change is not something you do it's something you allow.
Will Garcia
Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried to wean myself off of alcohol many times. It never worked very well. While I could wean myself off after a few days and get sober, if left me with the stinking thinking that maybe my alcohol problem wasn't so bad afterall. Then after a period of time I would get back on the treadmill.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had been sober for 11 days and after a 3 day relapse In which I drank 2 bottles of wine and quart of Vodka I began to sober up again. Tad shaky. I had to get up early Sunday morning as I didn't want to bother my H with the tremors. I drank cranberry juice and 7 up yesterday I was a bit sick to my stomach. I feel worse 2day bad head ache and super foggy. I didn't go to work 2day either. I just couldn't do it. It seemed too overwhelming. I feel like Sh**t emotionally. I thougt about weaning off and drinking a few beers yesterday, but it is just one more day that alcohol is in my system. So I refrained.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the support. This board is amazing. I will make it my morning coffee time!!

This is just day 2 but I am feeling pretty good. I did sip one glass of wine yesterday evening when I got a little jittery. Lots of water and Chamomile tea. Slept great!

I will take today as it comes - so far so good.

My plan is to be totally free by Thursday.

Lushly - sorry to hear this news. I know there are many knowledgeable here to help.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good, b, stick with your plan. If you drag it out further you will lose your momentum and motivation. Think of everything you do this week as preparing to quit. I went through the house and searched out anyplace there might be alcohol. (I had quite a few bottles of wine and champagne accumulated from a past relationship with a professional winemaker!)

I located AA meetings in the area. I bought books about recovery from alcoholism (including AA's "Big Book") and started reading those. In short, by the time I had my last drink, I felt READY to launch into a new, sober life.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks LexieCat - Will do!!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm interested to know how that weaning thing works out for you. I discovered that for me personnaly, one is too many, no such thing as enough. But that's just me.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blessings View Post
This is my first attempt to get off alcohol.

Has anyone ever tried to wean themselves off to ease the withdrawals. Feeling kind of shakey. This is Day 1.

Thanks for any help.

Wish me luck...
This will be my first attempt also. All the old timers I have exchanged mail with said I needed to go through Detox. There is supposed to be a good place in Tupelo Mississippi. They do a 72 hour detox. Does anyone have information about this place? If so mail me, heathepw at the ya who.