I'm hopeless.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm hopeless.

Just sayin.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why do you feel hopeless? Did you drink? I felt hopeless a lot too but I finally made it happen and haven't had a drink in over a year. You can get there too. Just start over again.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

What are you looking for, Aurora? You're hopeless against what?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What positive actions did you do to quit today?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

I don't know about hopeless. Would you be willing to consider "extremely misguided?"

I don't mean that to slight you or your situation. Something isn't working, either you, or the methods. How many chances are we allowed to do the right thing?

It appears you have you have at least one more chance.

I don't think we're hopeless until we run out of chances.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never met anyone who was truly hopeless - met a few who thought they were though...

You can do this Aurora

D
Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Why do you feel hopeless? Did you drink? I felt hopeless a lot too but I finally made it happen and haven't had a drink in over a year. You can get there too. Just start over again.
Yeah. It's hard to admit since I just posted a "i'm quitting again" thread only yesterday, but I had a drink at the end of my shift today. It made me feel a little better for like 5 minutes, then depressed and hopeless... like a loser. The worst part is the little thought/craving to get high that's been eating at me since I left work. I know it's the worst possible thing I could do, but it won't go away! I don't want to do this anymore so why do I want to do this so bad?!

Feeling pretty low, not to mention crazy.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
What are you looking for, Aurora? You're hopeless against what?
Not to sound too snarky, but I'd think me posting on a sober recovery forum that I'm feeling hopeless is self explanatory.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no rationale to addiction - except that maybe we hate feeling bad, so we want to feel good, which can lead us back to old ways...makes us feel bad, so we want to feel good....

You have to break the cycle Aurora.
Have you considered some real life support?

D
Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is always hope.

Hugs and prayers.

Lafemme
Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think it's hard not to feel hopeless in addiction - I broke so many morning promises to myself that I wasn't going to drink that day..... it's a miserable feeling.

Remember that the depression and anxiety from the alcohol will also make things seem that much worse. If you can get a day or two sober, you'll start to feel strong again. Be good to yourself, take it a day at a time, and keep your chin up......
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by Aurora80 View Post
Not to sound too snarky, but I'd think me posting on a sober recovery forum that I'm feeling hopeless is self explanatory.
Not to sound too snarky, but, "I'm hopeless...Just sayin" is a little lacking in details or direction.

Sorry to have not been able to divine what problem you're dealing with. But whatever's going on, it's nothing that drinking can't make worse. What do you need to give you some hope?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Millions of alcoholics and addicts have felt hopelessness at one time or another and have recovered. You are not alone in this and you can get better.

Bests,
Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
at peace

I've started and stopped so many times in the last year..I've felt hopeless and insane...but I'm beginning to understand I can't drink. Beginning to understand.. hopefully I fully understand someday.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with tomw. I am starting on my third day and maybe today I drink. I will feel well gutted if I do. The more days you make good on your promise the better you will feel. I had loads of dreams last night, feel physically better already (I am less bloated) I feel like I might be able to respect myself today instead of not thinking or feeling at all. That is just after 2 days clean. I have had years of telling myself I should do something. Many failed attempts. I never bothered to check for an on-line forum. Did check out the AA website years ago (never read the literature), made one phone call about 3 years ago to AA, never attended a meeting. The fact that you are here and that you know you need change is something I blocked out for years. You have to love yourself (hopefully) like you did before you got this habbit. Give yourself the right to be who you know you can be. Give yourself the right to feel not good but great about yourself.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Aurora you know you aren't hopeless. It is that ugly pull towards drinking that I know all too well and one that had been a constant cycle for years.

To get out of it and to feel again...yeah it was all about the support for me. When I felt down and in despair (which can happen in the beginning) I came here and shared. It was tough but each day I held on and it got better.

Finally, I added face to face support to SR and began recovery. You can do this and being here reaching out is the best thing.

Make today you Day 1 and get a plan here. There are many options and come here and share often.

Don't give up.....so many of us doing it and you will too!!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not minimizing the way you're feeling, but I felt the same way you did, at the end of my rope.

Maybe you can acquire that gift of desperation now.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just sayin.
Its not being hopeless...Its being clueless on how to stop.
I have been there many times. Its so maddening...gonna stop..can't...gonna stop...stop for 1 day....drink...UGH.

I finally had to check myself into a hospital...and it didn't work the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth time...the 9th...it worked...Just keep TRYING....Don't look at is as hopeless...look at it as an illness that you need help with to stop. You can't stop by yourself...especially if you are an everyday drinker. If you are an everyday drinker it is unsafe for you to stop on your own and you should be in the hospital when you stop. They give meds to ease withdrawal symptoms...and your in a setting where you can't drink...so it helps get you on the right path. And then MAYBE you can stop....the first time....some people do....remember..I didn't..but eventually did...keep trying.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Yeah. It's hard to admit since I just posted a "i'm quitting again" thread only yesterday, but I had a drink at the end of my shift today. It made me feel a little better for like 5 minutes, then depressed and hopeless... like a loser. The worst part is the little thought/craving to get high that's been eating at me since I left work. I know it's the worst possible thing I could do, but it won't go away! I don't want to do this anymore so why do I want to do this so bad?!

Feeling pretty low, not to mention crazy.
There is always hope A80. Just a few short months ago I was where you are, scratching my head trying to figure out why I kept drinking despite it making me feel, look, and act like crap. Oh and the hopelessness? I had my fill of that and I kept drinking more of that which robbed my hope. I kept borrowing happiness from the future in order to feel better today. When I decided to stop drinking I was bankrupt emotionally, spiritually, and physically.

I'm guessing that drink made you feel better because it satisfied your cravings but not your reason(s) to drink; that's how it worked with me anyway.

I always try to learn from activities/events (random or intentional) in my life and here's a couple I've learned from lifting/body building as they relate to my sobriety.
1. Simple Equations
Regardless of what phase I'm in (building/cutting) the weight loss formula is always the same:
calories burned > calories consumed (cut phase, reverse for gain phase).

For me to maintain a healthy state of mind, body, and spirit with my sobriety I had to follow this equation with conviction and extreme prejudice:
sobriety resolve > drinking resolve (it's been said many times and is probably the single most important thing I've learned on SR - you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink...I'm going to add - at all times.)

2. Mix It Up - Try Something New
My right bicep has been bothering me the past several weeks when I would do bicep or back exercises. Most fitness trainers would tell you to take it easy and to keep good form - that's sound advice, but it wasn't working for me. I researched another option. I upped the weight significantly and worked through the pain; after the first few reps the pain was gone and is still gone. What I found out is that by increasing the weight I would "awaken" those muscle fibers that had been dormant; it worked but I had to take that chance. Most people would have recommended against my choice, but what may have worked for them didn't work for me.

I tried several recovery options until I found a plan that worked. Don't be afraid to shop around and find one that fits you best. Having said that I'll quote one of my favorite authors, Mr. C.S. Lewis as it relates to your choice of recovery. "When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall."
Best wishes Aurora,
Untox
Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Aurora,

The best way to make the craving thoughts go away, is to hang in there and get through the moment. Then, the next time the cravings will not be so strong.

You can do this, and remember the thoughts don't control you, they are just thoughts.