Notices

Blacking out when sober??

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blacking out when sober??

Hi all,
I have had this happen in the past 5 months since I quit drinking, and I can't find any info on it. I quit drinking mostly because I was blacking out on wine, even 3 or 4 glasses would make my memory fuzzy, more would completely blank me out. I did this almost every time I drank. Wow! To write that shows how much alcohol screws up your judgement, because it wasn't until Day 8 in rehab that I said, "Alcohol has been destroying my brain. No more." I couldn't see that while drinking.

I am on two drugs, Lexapro and Campral, both lifesavers, as far as I am concerned. I use the womenforsobriety.org program, and I really love it! I go to an AA meeting once in a while, when I want human contact, and I have about 4 people in my life who are recovered, and they help me a lot. But no one can answer this:

I have been experiencing blackouts of a sort when not drinking. Example: my son will come home, I will be awake, I will go talk to him, and the next morning I will ask my husband if my son came home. Or less drastic, I cannot remember if I dreamt something or it happened, or I cannot remember how I spent the night before. It is almost like I was drunk, it is that fuzzy. It has been getting less frequent, almost no episodes in the last month, but has anyone else experienced this? I asked my doctor and she hadn't seen this.

A little freaky, you know? I don't take any other meds, no Nyquil or anything like that, I drink tea with sugar at night, but that's it. Thanks,
Nancy
5 months and 4 days.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would recommend seeing a dr, doesn't sound like something you should ignore or try to just live with.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Originally Posted by Live View Post
I would recommend seeing a dr, doesn't sound like something you should ignore or try to just live with.
No, I have never experienced a sober blackout. I agree with LIVE a visit to the DR. may be in order. Though a couple times while 100% sober I would feel drunk almost or just messed up out of nowhere and I would need to take a minute to let my head clear. Very strange.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'd say you should visit your doctor to be sure, but I had a lot of "fog" for many months after quitting drinking. We DO do a lot of damage to our brains when we drink, but a lot of the function will recover with time (think about stroke victims or other people with brain injuries who have to recover brain functions like speech). I forgot a lot of conversations, etc.

As I said, best to check with the doc if only to reassure yourself there isn't something more serious going on. It's also possible your other medications may need to be changed or adjusted.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I agree with the others here,
alspo
have you read up on the PAWS?

It's down in the alcoholic forums on the stickies thingy.

(I suck at cut and paste with thie laptop or I'd make a link for you)

I don't know how long you've been sober
but when I got sober
I had big patches of memory as well.

I also had the campral
lexapro didn't agree with me.

Do speak with your doc
and maybe reading the PAWS thing will help as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on the 5 + months! I see you talked to your Dr. about this. Did she recommend a follow up or anything?

You know...it could be from the drinking, could be from the meds, a combination of both or unrelated. Seems like it's getting better though.

I did read somewhere, I think under the Fitness forum, that someone suffered memory loss after they quit drinking. They started a journal and it was helping.

Good luck. Keep us posted, I'm interested to know if it continues to get better.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Here it is, not sure if it will help or not.

Kilt - Hope you're ok with me sharing this link.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ber-doing.html
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your advice. I will call my MD again, I know I can't be the only one who has had this, going to read that journal now.
Nancy
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're making an appointment nancy
Keep us updated

D
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are rechecking with your Doctor. I know my memory isn't what it used to be and I blame the drinking. I think its started to improve lately. Someone once mentioned that exercising our brains after we got sober was a good idea...you know crosswords and stuff. Even people who didn't drink should do that since it has been shown to help Ward off mental deterioration due to aging
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No...I've never done that..sorry it's happening to you...
I strongly suggest getting another doctors opinion
perhaps a nerologist. would be better.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi nancy - I wasn't a blackout drinker, but remember having a few memory glitches after getting sober. Alcohol does damage the memory.... apparently it's because it causes a thiamine deficiency. I got a good vitamin B complex after I quit.

When I was reading your post, I was thinking about how a lot of doctors don't have in-depth knowledge of alcoholism. There are some who do, though, so maybe if you make some inquiries you'd be able to find someone who can help.

Glad it's getting better, though - that's a good sign!!!