my AD is pregnant. =(

Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my AD is pregnant. =(

Tonight I found out my 20 yo AD is pregnant. Heroin is her DOC. She has been on a 6 week binge, and she is 6 weeks pregnant. I bought her the test and she took it at my house; they don't even have money for a pregnancy test! I know she wants to keep it. She's taking Seroquel and also Subuxone. I have no idea where she got the latter from, I think a friend. I'm just beside myself. My husband (her stepdad) is out of town. His daughter had a baby at 17, she's an alcoholic at 23. This is just absolutely the worst thing that could happen to this innocent little baby. It's slowly starting to sink in, i'm getting angry.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
it is what it is

as usual addiction hijacks the most precious of happenings and makes it a nightmare - i am so sorry this is happening - my prayers are with all of you
Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

357...I know how you feel. My AD was pregnant and using any/all types of drugs during entire pregnancy. Had little to no prenatal care. However, her daughter was born w/o any problems/physical defects. AD took Subuxene for the last month or two b/f her pregnancy. I spent a lot of time praying and when I look back, I wish I had been in some type of recovery program (AD wasn't and still isn't). I know you're going through a tough time and will keep you in my thoughts/prayers as well as your AD & precious gift she carries.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Prayers going out for all of you. May she find a better path soon.

Hugs
Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe this will help motivate her to get clean and sober. Getting pregnant is what gave me the extra motivation and it was the best thing that could have ever happened. I graduated highschool early and am starting college in the spring. I wish you and her the best of luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is the first place I came when I woke up this morning. Thank you for the support. I don't want to tell anyone in my family yet, not until some time has passed. Will just wait and see if a baby inside of her will make any difference, I pray it does.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know how concerned you must be right now. I remember when my son and his (then) girlfriend came to me to announce that they were pregnant. I was very concerned. She was heavily involved in drugs (as was he). I was concerned because he wanted her to have an abortion and she refused. I was concerned because I didn't know whether she would clean her act up. I was concerned because I was afraid she would be raising that child without my son's involvement.

Well, they had the baby. She stayed clean during the pregnancy and cleaned up her act. She went back to college and graduated with a four year degree and is currently working for a government agency.

She is doing an excellent job of raising her son unfortunately with minimal involvement on my son's part. She has allowed my husband and I to be a part of our grandson's life. Our relationship with her is stable (but strained sometimes--she has some "dry drunk" type issues) but I'm grateful that things have turned out the way they did for the most part.

Sometimes good things come from situations that test us.

I will hope and pray that your daughter will make good decisions for herself and for the little one she now carries.

gentle hugs
Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My daughter, age 22 and former heroin addict, gave birth about 2 months ago to a healthy baby girl.

Given her history and my need to know, I did some minor investigative work as it relates to heroin and pregnancy. Here's what I concluded:

Heroin addicts tend to use other substances, tobacco, alcohol and cocaine.

Heroin addicts tend to be poorly nourished.

A baby born to an active heroin addict will demonstrate symptoms of withdrawal, shortly after birth. The severity of withdrawal depends on how long and how much the mother was using.

Abrupt cessation of heroin is thought to be harmful to a fetus.

Methadone treatment during pregnancy is controversial.

There are worse addictions.

Studies are inconclusive.

Sounds like she needs to see an MD who has the knowledge to minimally evaluate the risks and benefits associated with continuing Seroquel and all the rest.

My heart goes out to you.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry that something that should be joyful is bringing such pain and anxiety. My prayers are with you and with her that she finds a better way soon. I hope that what appears to be a cause for great concern, turns into an unusual and precious gift.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My Ad used heroin through out her whole pregnancy. The baby is now a healthy 3yr old she doesn't seem to have any issues from it. In fact she has always been a little advanced in her learning. She did go through some withdraw the first few weeks. We were told that methadone was worse on unborn babies than heroin was an that the withdraw was worse.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FGB

I'm sorry, but I wish you the best outcome possible. Hugs, FGB
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((357))

I join the group too of a daughter that used during preganacies (yes mutliple pregancies)
(Her DOC are meth and almost any kind of pill she can find to take)

All 3 of her children were born healthy - the 2 oldest children are in school and participate in the advance programs at school. The youngest isn't in school yet but he is healthy also.

I know that we are truly blessed!!

I know this doesn't always happen this way!

Please know you, your daughter and this precious little baby will be in my thoughts & prayers.

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ive heard methadone is the best maintenance for pregnant women. And also subutex, not suboxone because of the naloxene. Goodluck