Notices

I found two bottles of vodka in my closet...

Old 01-15-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

I found two bottles of vodka in my closet...

I went in my closet and hidden in plain sight was a bag with two bottles of vodka in it. A 1.75L never opened bottle of crap vodka and a small amount of my former favorite Ketel One (it's all crap to me now).

I'm just in a bit of disbelief that I've been living for the past 90 some days with booze in my house! It's in the trash now and it was surprisingly easy for me to toss.

I'm thinking about doing a sweep of the house now to make sure the crap is gone. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, a couple weeks ago I was looking for some papers in my file cabinet and found a half empty bottle of gin! I poured it out but it was upsetting to find it as I thought I'd disposed of my 'wreckage'.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That could never happen to me. No matter how drunk I used to get I was always hyper-aware of any alcohol around and I wouldn't stop till it was all gone.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never found full bottles of liquor, only empty bottles that I'd hidden and didn't want my husband to find in the trash.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hasn't happened to me but that was my drink, and bottle, of choice. 1.75 liters of the cheapest Vodka I could get. At least it's where it belongs now.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

While at a detox facility 3 years ago my husband went through the whole house and found 2 or 3 bottles of vodka with some left in them, all hidden.

After I got sober this past April I was digging under my bed for some flip flops and pulled out an empty vodka bottle. It was a very odd feeling sitting there holding an empty of my favorite vodka. Felt good to pitch it in the trash can.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

The only thing that I can think of is that during my last drunk (Oct. 15), I may have not been convinced that I was finished drinking so I obviously didn't see the point in throwing "money" away.

It's amazing what just three short months can do to your outlook.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just curious, did you open and pour them out or toss them unopened?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkle View Post
I would have had to pour them, otherwise I would break down and drink them. I could never throw out a full bottle of alcohol! I am also curious about this question.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hmm, I was pretty hyper vigilant too and would search till I found it.

But, when I was cleaning out old purses, I found an empty inside one. It's a very bizarre feeling, almost like it was someone else, but it was me.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also never forgot where I left a full/halffull bottle, no matter what LOL.
I kept finding hidden empties tho right until I moved out of that place 6 months later...

D
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Untoxicated, this is a good sign that alcohol is not part of your life anymore. Just because you can get alcohol does not mean you want to drink it. That is showing willpower.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I found a few empties and it was very strange indeed. Like it was from someone else...
Old 01-15-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Like misa, I would never have left those bottles 'undrunk'. I did find empties, though - two of them way up on top of kitchen cupboards that I don't remember putting there, since I couldn't reach them. I did find a hairspray bottle, cleverly filled with vodka to put in my purse for those annoying trips to the grocery store - heaven forbid I should be without my stuff for an hour.

Untox, you are doing great - I'm so happy for you.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There was never anything leftover for me to save, so I never would have found a bottle with anything in it.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I still have a half bottle of rum and vodka (1.75L) in my freezer. I don't quite have the heart to put them down the drain as of yet. I have thought about them a lot the last week though.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by Nikkle View Post
I kept it simple by just tossing them in the "big boy pants" trashcan outside of my garage. If I wanted alcohol, I could buy it within a mile of my house - I've walked to get it before. The proximity of the alcohol doesn't bother me, it's what it did to my life that does.

It did spark some crazy memories though and as Anna and Kjell mentioned, the bottles felt like they were someone else's. They were just in such plain view, I can't believe I both forgot about them and never noticed them until now.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Find the heart Upstairs. There's nothing in those bottles that's good for you

D
Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep, found empties and some with whiskey or vodka still in 'em ... I used to "hide" alcohol from myself, and couldn't "find" it until I was drunk, so I was absolutely SURE I didn't have anymore ... then someplace else, some other day, there were some bottles. So far it's been 3 months since I've found any more (been sober almost 3 years) ... but I guess I'm much more "crafty" when I'm drinking than I am sober?!? Not really ... just glad I don't want that crap anymore!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Empties only...and found my last (I hope) last month.

Upstairs...welcome to SR ....the best feeling I ever had in my life was when I poured a brand new 1.5 liter bottle of wine down the sink the day I realized I couldn't keep drinking. Do yourself a favor pour them down the sink or flush them down the toilet. Before you toss the empties take a whiff of what they smell like warm...they smell like lighter fluid which is pretty much what they are. Poison.

Xo, Tina