About Custody and SSI

Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Question About Custody and SSI

My nephew receives SSI for his disablility of Autism. My family wants me to go get temporary custody of him while my sister is in rehab.

The reason they want me to do it is because I stilll don't have much of an income and my mom has her SSI and pension checks. My family thinks that being that my mom has an income that my nephews SSI will be reduced because mom has an income and that will remain the same if I take custody of him.

Does anyone have any idea if this is close to the truth or not? I only want what is best for my nephew.

He asked me last night if he could start calling me mom. I think it is sad that he does not want to talk to my sister or see her. Thank you for our reading this. Any feed back will be greatly appericated.

I just want to do what is right for him.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Splenda)))))

I think your mom has a Great Idea! And yes, since it is SSI and not SSDI it would be reduced because of the other income in the house.

If you think you and nephew can co-habitate, and it sure sounds like you love him dearly, than I would say GO FOR IT!!!!

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

My nephew and I are both living with my mom.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I know nothing of this (since I am Canadian and our laws are different), but wanted to stop here and give you a huge hug, Splendra, for watching over your nephew and his needs.

You are indeed an angel and he is blessed to have you.

Hugs
Old 01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know some stuff about SSI as my son is on it.

It is considered HIS and his alone. I am responsible for it as his 'representative payee' but the amount does not depend up on how much income I make.

Because he is disabled (and autistic) SSI will be there his whole life regardless of who is his caregiver.

Hope this helps
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Right now his SSI goes to my sister "for him". My family insist that she not be allowed to have sent in her name any longer.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would go by a social security office and talk to them about what your options are. I think you can designate someone else to get the checks but there are forms to fill out etc.

They would answer your questions, esp. if you are worried that the funds are not being used for him.

bb
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

We are going to get custody of my sister's son no matter what. Being without the income could put a hardship on my mom.

My main concern is that my nephew is safe and well cared for. I have been trying to find work for more than 2 years with a couple of odd jobs here and there. Prior to living with my mom I was living very close to the earth without utiities or transportation. I was heating and cooking with wood. Had a solar panel for my computer and magic jack phone. It has been an adjustment for me having running water and electricity again. It has been very interesting for sure but what it proved for me is I can survive with nothing.

I don't know much about SSI but I do know that mom feels like we need it for my nephew. I am pretty sure my sister had been mis-appropiating the funds. She was deep in my mom's pockets and mom is amazed a how far her money has gone with her not here.

When I had a steady income I was not too into "things" I paid my bills and gave any thing left over to my son.

I have been on food stamps for a while I eat very low on the food chain so I am good at streaching it out. My brothers are putting a lot of pressure on me to get the SSI transfered over to me because mom is getting older and is not in the best of health. I guess they are concerned for my nephew too.

I know that getting the SSI to come to me will be a mountain of paper work my nephew gets medicade right now I woud hate for him to loose that as his meds are not cheap. The paper work alone make me upset as I am dyslexic and paper work is very hard for me to do. My mom says she will take care of that part...