Notices

New to this. Have questions about hydrocodone withdrawl

Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this. Have questions about hydrocodone withdrawl

Hello. I am a mother/wife, have been taking hydrocodone for about 1&1/2 yrs. This may sound minor compared to other levels of intake I read about. I take between 10-30 mgs a day, but even so I can tell it affects my mood, energy, etc. My husband Is a recovering addict (alcohol/hydros) and I think he is starting to resent me for still using. My main question is if I am going to have horrible withdrawl from such a low dose? And if I will suffer from the long term mental affects that take so long to recover from? I am good mother, but know I could be even better if I felt the way I did a couple years ago. Are there any mothers on her that share similar stories? Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

The best thing is to talk to your dr and get his advice about withdrawl symptoms. He may also be able to answer questions about the mental affects, though I would imagine they would differ from person to person.

Good for you for making the decision to live a sober life!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LC80

You may find other people with similar stories in our substance abuse forum as well
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse

but ultimately - Anna's right - absolutely get some professional medical advice on that - it's in your best interests to be well-informed

Welcome to SR
D
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The Central Nervous System has a mind of it own. Metabolism, body size, weight, and health all play a part. There have been times I felt no withdrawal and times where I wished for quick death. Everybody is different.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. Don't really know why im here or where to begin. I ran across this site and decided to check it out. Oddly, from the moment I joined & read other ppls stories I immediately felt some level of comfort. I guess the main reason I'm here is because I feel hopeless, have nobody to talk to, and am mentally and physically drained. I feel like I've failed myself, my children, and life in general. I'm a stay at home mom w two beautiful children. I've been with my husband for 11 years. He's been an alcoholic for 20 (sober for 2)
Whether or not I'm an addict is not questionable, unfortunately I know I am. I've been self medicating for 15 years. Pot was always my drug of choice, and until 3 months ago I smoked it daily ever since high school. I guess I thought if I quit pot that I would feel better abt myself. Wrong. Should have started with the hydros (which are not prescribed btw). I am also addicted to lorazepam (they are prescribed).
Ironically my downfall began when my husband started his road to recovery. Two years ago he had an atv accident and broke several bones. He hasn't had a drink since that day, mainly bc he substituted pain pills for alcohol. He was takin more than prescribed and we started buyin em off the street. That's when I began taking them daily. Very small doses at first just to give me some energy. Now I'm up to 3 or 4 10's a day. Six months ago he went to rehab and changed his life. Hasn't drank or abused drugs since. He even started an antidepressant for anger issues he's had since I met him. After all this, I thought our relationship would be better. It's not it's worse. We have grown apart and I fear I'm losing my marriage. I overlook our problems bc he is such a good father. I feel like we only stay together for the kids. In a way, I resent him for being able to go to treatment and changing his life. And he resents me for still using. I just want him to talk to me, which he doesn't. I want him to want me to get better for the right reasons, not his own selfish ones.
I also know my problems stem from much more than addiction, and probably more from anxiety/depression. I haven't told my family what's going on. Mainly bc I don't want them to think I'm an idiot for letting myself get in this shape. After all, I just watched my husband go thru hell battling addiction. I'm going to try the taper method I hear so many talk about. I'm not use to writing like this or sharing problems with others. I could actually write so much more lol. Anyways, thanks guys for listening. I welcome all replies.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you shared LC - you're among friends here.... I remember a kind of relief when I first came here. Finally, I had someone to talk to who understood what I was going through.

I had a similar dynamic (two children, problem marriage of about the same length as yours) only I began using beer/wine. My husband was a drinker - but not a problem drinker. I had big issues with depression (which I only found out later were fueled by the alcohol).

I would definitely get up some courage and see a doctor (and a counselor maybe....for the marital stuff). You're worth it, you know? We tend to suffer in silence as moms I think..... but put yourself first this time. Be the best you and you'll also be the best mom....
Old 01-16-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement! It really means alot. So glad I joined this site and know that members like you all is what will get me thru this. Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Artsoul thanks for replying to my post and your support. I am looking forward to embracing recovery one step at a time. I did speak to my husband last night and convinced him to go back to counseling that we had started after he completed rehab. I am also on the hunt for a local NA chapter in my area. Thanks again and I will keep you all posted.