Notices

Ted Williams (Homeless Guy)

Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ted Williams (Homeless Guy)

This guy is just a huge relapse waiting to happen. I'm all for second chances and all but not too sure about this man and his newly found fame.

Has everyone been following the whole Ted Williams homeless man story?

If not he is the man that has this amazing radio voice that was discoverd on an off ramp in Columbus, Ohio. He has been getting all of these really good job offers from like MTV, Cleveland Cavs, Kraft, and many others to be the voice or their company or something like that. Really pretty crazy if you ask me. This man has been on the streets/homeless for 10 plus years, been a drug addict, alcoholic, thief, ect. and he is getting all of this attention/publicity. Really, Really crazy if you ask me.

All he has is this voice and he gets this amazing new life. My god! I just think once he gets some freedom, money, financial stability that he is going to totally cave in and continue drinking/drugging and lose it all.

I mean I wish him the best, but not so sure it's gonna work out for him.

What does everyone else think about this ordeal?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

".........and continue drinking/drugging and lose it all."

As I understand it he has been clean and sober for two years. Good luck to him!

I have obviously jumped the gun but still............good luck to him.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm happy for him, the tone of your post doesn't strike me as healthy to be honest.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ummm hate to say it but he's already relapsed and headed to rehab.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dubbguy View Post
I'm happy for him, the tone of your post doesn't strike me as healthy to be honest.
Not sure what you mean about my tone.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shoei View Post
".........and continue drinking/drugging and lose it all."

As I understand it he has been clean and sober for two years. Good luck to him!
Naw. I actually just saw that he has been drinking a bottle of Grey Goose vodka a night.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No2

I've read the story. It's on ESPN and youtube and everywhere.

He's getting much more than a second chance. He's getting national attention when he was just a local radio guy at his best before. I hope he lives up to all that he is throwing out there but he is a bum, and has been living that life for many years so I don't know but we will see. It will be interesting.

He says that he's been sober and clean for 2 years, right? He should be able to handle it after his ordeal but it's easier said than done, we all know that. If he can't hack it then he can't blame anyone other than himself, just like the rest of us. I know that I blame myself everyday for the stupid things I do and he said the same thing on national television so he will know and be told where the finger points.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well then you have answered your own question.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope he can benefit from rehab and turn his life around for sure. I know how much of a struggle it is to stay sober as I'm sure all of SR does too. It seems this would be an opportunity of a lifetime in his situation so I really hope he starts fresh and can be a successful member of society again.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's poor form to describe anyone as a relapse waiting to happen.

I'm not up on this story but I wish him well - why wouldn't you?

D
Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No2

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Ummm hate to say it but he's already relapsed and headed to rehab.
Where is this story at?

Well, like I said, I didn't take the 2 year thing seriously. I mean, it's coming from a guy who has spent 10+ years standing on the road asking for a hand out so he can go get himself a drink and why would he still be there if he'd quit drinking 2 years ago. Answer me that? Why would anyone who had once been respectable still stand out there bumming 2 years after you had stopped feeding your addiction? It made no sense then and...
Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's poor form to describe anyone as a relapse waiting to happen.

I'm not up on this story but I wish him well - why wouldn't you?

D
Dee, I totally wish him well. I never said I didn't wish him well. I just think that with all of that sudden fame/publicity/money that it would be hard to resist that alcohol/drugs lifestyle. Maybe he can do it. I for one don't know that I could handle it...that's for sure.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess I misread you DWD. Now that I'm up on the story, I think I see where you're coming from. My apologies.

Whatever the guys past, whatever the current situation with the relapse - I stillwish him well.

If I hadn't stopped I could very well be a Ted Williams now - any of us could - we;re all extraorinary people

I hope he gets the right kind support and help he needs now to stay sober.

That being said, there's something discussing/dissecting 'celebrity' alcoholics here that irks me, .... this is a human story, a human being, and I hope people everywhere don't forget that.

D
Old 01-13-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DownWDisease View Post
Dee, I totally wish him well. I never said I didn't wish him well. I just think that with all of that sudden fame/publicity/money that it would be hard to resist that alcohol/drugs lifestyle. Maybe he can do it. I for one don't know that I could handle it...that's for sure.
DownWDisease, I can understand what your talking about. But his 15 minutes of fame is almost over and the next time we will hear from his is from a year from now when news shows talk about what went on the year 2011.

There is a change he will relapse but if does, I hope he only use alcohol for a day or so and learns from what he did.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cool

OK folks here's the skinny.......(straight from KTLA News).....:

"...Ted Williams, the Ohio homeless man whose 'golden voice' made him a YouTube sensation, is entering rehab after being briefly detained by Los Angeles police earlier this week.

"Williams appeared on the 'Dr. Phil' show, where he was confronted about claims he was drinking. After the show, Dr. Phil announced in a news release that Williams was going to get treatment for a drinking problem.

'If Ted is ever going to get better, he’s got to be honest with himself and admit he’s addicted to drugs and alcohol,' the statement said. 'I’ve told him it’s not going to be easy and it’s going to take a lot of hard work. It might be a long journey for him, but this is a big step in the right direction.'

"Williams had said Tuesday that the altercation with his daughter at a Hollywood hotel was a minor family squabble.

"The Los Angeles Police Department was called to the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel on a disturbance call Monday night, briefly detaining Williams and his daughter. No one was arrested and it's unclear if any charges will be filed.

"Williams told 'Entertainment Tonight' that the incident occurred at the end of a family reunion. He said he and his daughter exchanged words. 'My daughter exploded, just erupted into this jump-up-in-my-face type of thing. Fists started flying, none of which were mine, none of which were mine, but it could have escalated to the point where it could have gotten really ugly,' he told the TV show.

"His daughter told 'ET' that she was upset because her father was drinking -- something Williams denied to the show..."

Williams later admitted to Dr Phil that he had been drinking. Apparently he'd fallen off the wagon, and had been drinking a bottle of vodka a night; I believe he said this was due to 'stress' being in LA.

Soooooooooo, as a wrap-up.....he was a drinker/user; he got sober/clean; he recently had a relapse; he's promissed to go into rehab..............again, sooooo, we shall see....

(o:
NoelleR
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really dislike it and find it unhealthy for us to pass judgement on others. Really I do and I normally keep my head out of these things but sometimes its like....what is the point?

Plenty of people didn't believe in me....so posting on a recovery site that someone probably will flake out....just bad juju and something I find negative. Think focusing ourselves is more productive.

All the best.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Newcomers is best left primarily for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction amongst our members.

As there are at least two other threads on this elsewhere on this site, I'm closing this thread.

D