Notices

To those with criminal records, or anyone else interested

Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To those with criminal records, or anyone else interested

I've been thinking about going to school to take Mining Engineering, but the only thing holding me back is that I have a criminal record. I am trying to do as much research as I can on the issues that arise from me having a criminal record, and whether or not it would be a good idea to spend 4-5 years in school to go into the Mining Industry.

Every province, state, and country has different laws. I am going to post the legislation for where I live, and see what everyone thinks. So, in British Columbia, where I live, only those who work with Children and Vulnerable Adults are required by law to have a criminal record check done before being employed. Many other jobs require criminal record checks, but they are not required by law, they are company standard. The offenses reviewed under the act are in the following link.

Offences Reviewed Under the Criminal Records Review Act - Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General

The professions that are required to have criminal record checks are...
Who Must Have a Criminal Record Check Under the Criminal Records Review Act - Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General

Even if you have been convicted of one of those offenses, it doesn't disqualify you from working in one of those professions. It just makes it harder.

In BC, like most places, everyone has rights, even convicted criminals.

"B.C.’s human rights legislation provides protection for people who have been convicted of a criminal or summary conviction offense, or a perceived conviction (i.e. arrest or stayed charges) that is unrelated to the employment or the intended employment of that person."

more info here.GroundsProtection

According to the human rights coalition, an employer cannot legally deny employment based on past criminal offenses, as long as they don't relate to the job. Unfortunately, this isn't how it is. Many companies ask if you have a criminal record, but from what I understand, many of them don't really have the grounds to even ask.

So, here's my situation. I pleaded guilty to impaired driving causing death, and was recently released from jail. I am trying to put this behind me, and move on with my life. I am looking at going into Mining Engineering, but am very apprehensive about it, due to my criminal record. I am afraid that even if I complete the schooling, I won't be employable because I have a record. Legally, it shouldn't make a difference, from what I understand. But so many companies nowadays do criminal record checks, and its just the way it is. And lots of people miss out on jobs due to their past.

Anyways, I'm looking for some advice. This was an isolated incident, I have no other criminal convictions, but I am afraid it will hang over my head for the rest of my life. I want to move on with my life, and become a productive member of society, but the harsh reality of our society is a criminal record means bad news. By the time I'd finish school, it would be ~10 years since the accident happened. Even if a possible employer knew about the accident, do you think they would most likely overlook me because of it, or do you think they would give me the benefit of the doubt, and acknowledge the fact that I did all the schooling after, and changed my life tenfold? Or do you think it will even matter? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gosh, that's a hard one to call, as far as being employable with a record. Might need to get legal advice so you can figure out if it's worth four years of shcool.

Looks like alcohol caused more damage than anyone on SR ever wants to imagine going through, for you and the victim.

Good luck in your endeavors and your sobriety.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you looked in to getting a pardon? Here in Ontario, they are expensive and time consuming to get, but I think if you finished the school program, your chances would improve. I think its called Pardons Canada, or something like that.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Well, you took an innocent life b/c of a very selfish behavior.

You'll need to understand that this is who you are and yes, there may be some limitations b/c of that for the rest of your life. Still a pretty good trade off if you ask me.

I've been convicted of two dui's myself and my story could have been yours.

I pray you're in a recovery program and commited to sobriety. If you are, everything else will work out.

I wish you the best.

Kjell
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by April999 View Post
Have you looked in to getting a pardon? Here in Ontario, they are expensive and time consuming to get, but I think if you finished the school program, your chances would improve. I think its called Pardons Canada, or something like that.
I'm on probation until august of 2012. Once I complete probation, my sentence is officially over. Upon completion of my sentence, I would have to wait atleast 5 years until I would be eligible for a pardon. Our government is in the process of passing new legislation to make it harder for people to get a pardon. When, not if, this new legislation is passed, I will have to wait a minimum of 10 years. And, depending on the details of the bill, theres a possibility I will never be eligible for a pardon due to the seriousness of the offense.

So a pardon would only be an option many many years down the road.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Northland))) - I don't know if Canada has something similar, but when I had a felony (it was supposed to be a first offender...felony removed if I completed probation), I found a site on something like "employment for convicted felons" in the U.S. Though I did get my first offender status, it was good to find out that there ARE employers who will hire a felon.

I still have a lot of bad references, losing jobs, etc. to get through, and am actually going to school to go BACK into the healthcare field, where I messed up so much, but not in patient care. I have no idea how the past will impact me, but I'm going for it.

Maybe google something in and see if Canada has something similar? See if you can find some people that have the jobs you're interested in and ask them? I'd thought about applying at a grocery store, but talked to a cashier I'd gotten to know well, and he said they wouldn't even hire if you had a misdeameanor, which I do.

There are some things in my past I can't undo, but I believe that as long as I work my recovery, don't do stupid things (like I did) that cause any more bad consequences, it will work out. Good luck to you!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go or contact the companies that would likely hire you, be honest and explain yourself, and see if they would seriously hire somebody with your situation.
If you paid your debt to society, made amends to all involved, attained sobriety, and educated yourself to be a productive member of society, I would think you'd have a shot.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
You'll need to understand that this is who you are and yes, there may be some limitations b/c of that for the rest of your life. Still a pretty good trade off if you ask me.

You're right. I'm trying to bite off more than I can. I want to turn my life around, and move on from this, but the reality is, the limitations are now a defining part of my life. I guess now I just need to go through a list of what I can do, and can't, and go from there. I need to quit being depressed and discouraged about it, accept it, because like you said this is a part of who I am now. Sorry, I just need to talk myself through this, and figure this all out.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Northland))) - you don't have to apologize for talking things out, here. It's what most of us do I've come here with every struggle I've had, since recovery, and there's always been someone who's said something I needed to hear.

I, too, wanted things to get better fast. Though I'm more content with my life, than I've ever been, life is life, and I still struggle. What's different, is I have faith, thanks to the people here and my HP, that things WILL work out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by northland View Post
You're right. I'm trying to bite off more than I can. I want to turn my life around, and move on from this, but the reality is, the limitations are now a defining part of my life. I guess now I just need to go through a list of what I can do, and can't, and go from there. I need to quit being depressed and discouraged about it, accept it, because like you said this is a part of who I am now. Sorry, I just need to talk myself through this, and figure this all out.
North-

Nothing to be sorry about. This is the beauty of SR and I for one and glad you posted.

Let's do this together. I'm currently working in a job that, yes, I'm very happy I've got it as I go through my legal punishments for my 2nd dui, but I'm making 1/2 of what I used to and I want a career again too.

One day at a time, doing the next right thing, and man, we're gonna get better and do better.

Kjell
Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't say much for the mining industry (as I am in consumer packaged goods), but IMO you will face someone (always) who will shun you because of your conviction.

Instead of fretting with it, and worrying about legalities - my suggestion is to follow your career aspirations and let the chips fall where they may, life goes on after all.

Assuming you are a good guy (inside) and are truly regretful for your actions and are in a recovery program, also to never touch a sip of alcohol again you can use this for a positive.

I am in sales, and the number one rule I follow is to always be prepared for the worst when I go to prospective clients. I imagine what the most negative outcome could be and I have a plan to counter it.

In your case, the most negative outcome would occur in an interview, perhaps an HR manager who will not look kindly on you regardless of your academic success, etc.... You need to have a neutralizing plan. Off the top of my head, I would suggest looking to become a full time volunteer for MADD. Do this (because you want to) but also because it will help you ---- now in your interview, if the topic is brought up you can counter all the negativity with something way over the heads of the question askers.

After all if the MADD group can forgive and accept - and you become a contributing member volunteer, then most reasonable people will believe you have changed and deserve a second chance.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

North, we are here for you. Just wanted you to know.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I paid for a criminal background check on myself - to the biggest provider of this service in the USA. I have 2 midemeanor convictions, one in '95 and one in '99. Neither one showed up. FWIW.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((Northland)))................

I, too, wanted things to get better fast. Though I'm more content with my life, than I've ever been, life is life, and I still struggle. What's different, is I have faith, thanks to the people here and my HP, that things WILL work out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
sorry just had to : YouTube - Live is Life - Opus
Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also you need to think about what would happen if you were to work overseas. Mining can be a very international job. The country I work in has a lot of mining going on in it at the moment with workers from Canada, USA, Australia etc all being involved. To work in an overseas country you will need a work visa and one of the questions you will have to answer is whether you have a criminal conviction and be able to prove it with a police clearance from your home country. Of course just because you have one does not mean you will be denied a visa (there are at least two people who work in my company doing my job that have criminal records).
On the other hand whatever you decide to persue in life surely you would be better off with further education than without it? If you don't further your education you will still have a criminal record and no degree/diploma which I would have thought would be a weaker position than with the said degree/diploma.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick replies.

I wish things were different, but they aren't. I've never understood people who say they have no regrets, because my life is fueled by regrets. I truly don't know how I am going to move on. It's hard to see the bright side of life right now, because all l I see is darkness
Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

North, I wonder if your sadness might be partly chemical? Have you talked to a medical dr?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maryjan View Post
North, I wonder if your sadness might be partly chemical? Have you talked to a medical dr?
There's not question about it, I'm depressed.

I've been on anti-depressants before, and I can't do it again. They messed me up, and it took me a long time to get off of them. The side-effects were too much to justify the benefits.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((North))) - I couldn't see anything but darkness for a while, too. I was angry that I couldn't get high any more, ashamed because of the things I'd done, despondent over my lost career, felt guilty for the pain I had caused my family. You name a bad feeling, I felt it.

My feeling was, for I don't know how long, "just don't do anything that's going to bring MORE bad ****, you've got enough to deal with". My first gratitude list everyone recommends? Didn't wanna do it. Finally, when I got miserable enough, I said, through gritted teeth, "I'm grateful I have a soft bed and pillow" because in jail, they were anything but soft. It took time, and forcing myself to find things to be grateful for, but it helped.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry things look so dark right now. I'm glad your posting about it. Hope you know you've got a lot of people rooting for you.