Notices

Day 5... again... almost over

Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5... again... almost over

Hi all

Well about to go to bed at the end of day 5 again (After doing 5 days last week and having my planned drink last Sat)

My plan was to have a drink on a Sat once a week, but I am REALLY reconsidering after hearing all your stories about relapse and 'feeling' your support.

I have already had as many days off the bottle this year as I probably did in each of the last 10.
Not really getting the urge much, seconds at most, but I have a terribly dry mouth and throat. Feel really dizzy too. Achy legs.
Not sure if its withdrawals or Im coming down with something, but if it is withdrawls, I dont wanna do this again!

Anyway, just letting you all know you have helped me re-consider my moderation/social drink once a week, Im gunna go all out.

I so wanna be T-Total the more I think about it

Lets hope I am saying the same thing come Sunday

TC all & keep strong fellow quitters/succeeders
Old 01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great decision and glad to hear it Muggins

D
Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You won't regret it. I love living sober.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Muggins, I am also in the UK and Day 5 too. Go and read my thread I just put up in this forum as a reason why you perhaps shouldnt let yourself have that Saturday Night Drink. I know it's going to be hard going into the weekend. Saturday night while my friends party, I am going to Pizza Hut with my friend and her daughter, then an AA meeting til 9pm and then home with a book or film and hopefully chatting with you on here! Take Care xx
Old 01-15-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, thats 6 days over and here on my 7th is my big test!

Still struggled sleeping last night, but did get some.
While lying there I had recollections of very early memories.... memories I had never forgotton but last night they suddenly dawned on me some thought behind them....

When I was about 7 or 8, in my first childhood home, my father used to brew his own cider (hes never had a problem, he has the same crate of beer at xmas, left over from the xmas before, infact he still has a bottle of vodka I brought him home from Majorca in 2001! He just always had a lot of hobbies, he gave his brew away mainly). Anyway... my memory is, sneaking into the pantry and at that age not realising the brews not quite ready.... So I clasped the bottle between my knees and unscrewed the cap.... The bottle erupted with the lid still screwed half on, hissing and spraying cider all over... I froze.... my parents came running through, they thought it was a gas leak in the kitchen, there I was kneeling with the bottle of cider between my knees... end of memory.

About a year or two later, at new years eve. Party at my grandparents (Now my grandfather was an alcoholic, back in the early '80s when the drink driving law was being enforced, he was a long distance lorry driver, got caught so many times the police told him, it either drink or drive, he promptly threw his license in the bin and proceeded to build himself a bar in his living room like many in the '80s, it was like a real pub, pumps, seats the decor with yard of ale glassed hanging around the room and everything) Anyway my memory... During the new year party, while the family were all too merry to notice, me about 10 year old and my cousin a few year older. I clearly remember us hiding behind the bar, drinking more than 1 large bottle of cider.

Looking back, its only last night I realised. I think my problem may have had it beginnings waaay back before I ever imagined, just never dawnd on me until last night! Not like I was drinking all the time at that age but just those two memories made me think!

Just had to share that with someone, anyone!

Stay Strong
Old 01-15-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My big drinking day was when I was 13. I liked it so much I ended up in the hospital. Should have learned my lesson then.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Get in there!

I did it

7 whole days, a full week. I have amazed myself
Never thought this would be possible again.

I got through my Saturday, the night I originally planned to drink, without too much pain Just a lot of confusion!

Half way through day 8, cant beleive i am still walking around sober on a Sunday!
Off out to get some fresh air, Ahhhhh.

Thanks SR
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy days Muggins!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are moving forward..
Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Great job Muggins! I know it felt so tremendous to get that first alcohol-free week behind me. I remember feeling a sense of accomplishment that told me, "Hey, you got through 1 week. No reason you can't make it 2." And I used 2 weeks to push me to 4, 1 month to push me to 2, and so on...Just keep stacking those days on top of each other.

Enjoy your Sunday! Sundays for me always meant football + lots and lots of beer. Now it's football, Coca-Cola and probably some hamburgers. Keep it up!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good on ya Muggins. Your childhood sounds very familiar to mine. I am a brit but live in holland now. My dad was always making cider, and tea and raisin wine. He has been a team co-ordinator for an NHS ICU drugs and Alcohol treatment centre for all his working life. They used to have staff christmas party's and would have to lock the booze away in the main office. I was about 7 or 8 and was in charge of the key. I used to hide under the desk and drink wine from the 5 liter wine cartons with the little taps on. Also at the end of the night I would polish off all of the half empty glasses.
I remember my dad just laughing about it. Wow man I miss the seventies.

Anyway keep strong, I am on almost on day 2.