Notices

What I really love about living sober

Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile What I really love about living sober

My brain works again. I can think clearly and am 'quick on the draw' again. I can 'think on my feet', so to speak. I'm a bit over a year sober and was worried for a while that I'd done permanent damage to my brain and mind but apparently not.

Just recently I was able to help my sister get some needed info from her old medical records. Had I still been drinking I doubt I would have been creative and insightful enough to think of a possible solution - and it was!

I can't express enough how much I love living sober. My circumstances haven't changed that much (other than paying my bills now that I'm not drinking all my money) but my attitude sure has. And that has made all the difference in living an enjoyable life instead of a miserable existance.

The bonus of having my logical, reasoning, clear thinking abilities back is just icing on the cake! And I'm so glad I stopped before doing irreversible damage to myself. Sobriety rocks!!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Least, I agree - I was afraid I'd fried my brain & would never be sharp again. I still feel like I heal a little more each day.

It's been great to see you get well and feel better about yourself & your circumstances. Attitude is everything, & we sure create a lousy one for ourselves when we drink.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, my brain is mostly functional, most of the time, again. I don't know if it will ever be what it once was (gettin' old, too!), but it's something I am VERY grateful for.

One of the Promises in the Big Book is that "we will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us." I used to have great intuition that was all but completely kaput by the end of my drinking. It's back, thank God.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on all of your hard work staying sober. I am so proud of you and excited that you are reaping the rewards!

You are also so kind in your posts and supportive.

I really appreciate that, and I know others do too!!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that least... I am always very encouraged and amazed by your positive attitude. I think it rubs off on me.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks least! As a newish member, this is exactly what I need to read.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great to hear! I also wondered about my brain "growing" back to wat it once was... It is half way there, but not yet entirely healed.

How long were you drinking for?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So happy for you least! I am just starting to see my brain function return sobriety rocks!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ahh.. another brilliantly positive post from Least. How nice, thank you

I think a few of us on here used to be bright, promising students and employees once upon a time. I'd heard 7 months for the brain to start properly repairing itself, so I guess that tallies with LaFemme's experience.

Good to know my intuition might recover as well. I used to say 'always trust your instinct' in matters of business and life in general. It doesn't really work with a raging AV preoccupying every background thought though...
Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

Been here a very short time (reading/posting on SR) and am so grateful for you Least... you are SO positive and so supportive..so great to hear you share this and to know life is always always always better sober! Thank you!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Talking

life was becoming impossible back in 2006' it was a daily battle to maintain a job that i hated so that i could continue to drink (Myself to Death) it was not really Living at all. today almost 4 years sober i can think somewhat clearly.. i can wake up and feel good.. i have a job that i Don't Hate! life is good sober.. thanks least.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Huggs Least and I so relate to your shares. Your are right on about attitude change I haven't changed tons in my life in terms of $$$ and all that but the way I see things now allows me to enjoy life again.

Thx for the good words Got a smile on my face!!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How long were you drinking for?
Most of two years, but drinking all day every day.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
31/10/10

least - uplifting post.
I agree, nothing is more fun that a sharp mind. Let's me win at scrabble.

Can't wait for upcoming positive changes

vee
Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My brain used to be in such a poor state that I couldn't hold anything in my memory for more than a few seconds.

If I was upstairs and needed something downstairs, by the time it took me to climb down the stairs to reach the lower level, I had forgotten what it was that I needed! Very frustrating. All I could then do was to go backupstairs empty handed, cursing my poor memory!

After 4 or so months sober, I can hold a few things in my memory, and I am always pleasantly suprised when I reach the bottom of the stairs and can remember what it was that I needed upstairs! Things are slowly improving.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

hapy yur brane wurx gud
Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by recycle View Post
hapy yur brane wurx gud