Notices

My last day of drinking

Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My last day of drinking

I am finishing what is supposed to be my last day of drinking. My psychiatrist told me that she would not see me any more if I continued to drink. My family told me that they had enough of my crap.

Should I try to quit smoking when I quit drinking?

I drink about 14-18 beers a day on and off for the last ten years, what physical ramifications will I feel? What is your way of dealing with cravings? How do you associate with people in environments with alcohol without giving in?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome

Congrats on making the decision, thats the hard part, and you decided to make a difference in your life which is great. Im on Day....11. At first it might be hard the first thing you wanna do is ask your self why you drink what is your trigger. Once you realize that it is you can handle yourself better. Craving can be hard but it only last for a few mintues so try to control yourself for those minutes, do something different. Get new friends that dont drink, that will help alot, and a sponsor if you dont have one. Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Amagi, I drank for years and have relapsed more than a few times, but also, I smoked for a long time (20 years). 11 years ago, I decided at least one of them HAD to go so I tossed the smokes, still struggle with alcohol but at least I do not smoke anymore. Smoking is an odd thing, we're all told how _HARD_ it is to quit, but, once I realized that the pleasure each smoke gave me was dwarfed by how much damage I knew I was doing to my own body, I put out that last smoke and never looked back. The first few years of smoking are a great pleasure, but it soon becomes just a habit that brings little pleasure. There were of course some short term cravings (smoking while on the phone, with my first cup of coffee, with drinking, etc.), but once I _accepted_ that smoking was no longer an option in my life, it was almost easy. Alcohol is a different beast, but, I'm just saying, I quit smoking first and that worked for me. Just make smoking a "small" thing in your mind and it is Not as big a deal as people have told you it would be. One addiction at a time, it's the best we can do! Best wishes! ... Mike
Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. You have a lot of legitimate questions that will get answered in time. The key is to take this sobriety seriously and one day at a time. Try not to worry about situations that are not right in front of you. Get sober first, then worry about the details.

Do you have a plan for long term sobriety? Most of us found we could not do it alone and on sheer will power. Shoot, if we could alcoholism would not exist.

I wish you well, and glad you are here. Keep reading, you will find a lot of good information.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No2

Keeping busy seems to work for me. Exercise, spend the extra money you save on exercise supplements and vitamins and go to the gym 2x a day for 30-1hr, and/or get a bike and ride around town if you have the time. I bought a heart rate monitor and speedometer/pedometer for the bike and make it a goal to continue to improve the numbers and lower my heartrate to what it should be, it's working. I've invested in these things rather than invest in alcohol and as time goes I realize just how much money I blew on alcohol.

Maybe get a 2nd job if you can't get past 6PM everyday without feeling like you have no choice but to go buy a 12 pack. That's how my dad quit years ago. Even though he had a profession he got a 5-6 hour a day job at 7-11 and everybody laughed at him but it kept him busy and not thinking about what he had trained himself to do for years.

With me, being in the Navy, I would always think that when my ship left town I'd be going crazy at the end of the work day because there would be no way for me to go do my 5-6PM routine of going out and buying enough beer to last me the night. That wasn't the case. I rarely thought about drinking even though if I was at home nobody could stop me from going out and getting my fix day after day, my wife didn't even try anymore because it would just turn into an argument with me leaving and not coming back until 3AM completely tore up and down 500 bucks. So for some people like me just keeping busy can work. But I also had no option to get a drink, so telling yourself that it's not an option is another thing you need to do.

I always drink at home alone because I don't want to blow my entire months pay in the first few nights of drinking every month and I think it helps to sustain the belief that everything is OK because nobody knows how much I really drink. I'd buy 24 and tell my wife I got a 12 pack. 15-20 beers, no problem, sometimes even a bottle of rum to end the night after the beer ran out. As long as I could get to work in the morning and make it through the day, even if it was rough and people were eyeballing me with what was likely the thought that I was a drunk, I'd still go out and do it again and again.

So now I keep fruit and snacks like beef jerky around and eat a bunch of it around the time I know I will feel that I have to go to the liquor store. I am also going to quit smoking too but that seems to be the harder of the 2 for me.

Anyway, good luck and keep changing things that you do until you find what works for you is I guess the best advice I can give and don't worry so much about the calories from eating too much either. You know how many calories you are replacing, right? Make up for it by exercising as much as you can find the time too. Or post here all day too!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Try not to worry about situations that are not right in front of you. Get sober first, then worry about the details.
I just deleted a response because it sounded garbled......BDiddy said exactly what I was going for!! Try not to tackle all of it at once! Life has a funny way of working things out. Good luck to you.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you stop drinking because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. To deal with cravings, I found that planning ahead, changing my routines and keeping busy really helped. And, I couldn't be around people who were drinking for a very long time. It just didn't work for me.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I beat meth before by going to Marine Corps bootcamp. I feel this will be a greater challenge. I need to beat this. My grandpa put it best: first the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Trading one addiction for another is not recovery. If you get off the alcohol, what is next? Time to deal with the underlying issues of why you get addicted to things in the first place.

And Anna made a good point, seeing a Doctor is always suggested.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi amagi

I agree with Anna...a doctor is always a good idea - they will probably be able to answer a lot of your questions better than we can too.

Here's a link to a thread of some of our members detox experiences and what they did-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I don't want to make this into an essay - stick close to SR - read around, post as much as you like - we talk a lot about cravings and about changing our lives

Try to focus on today - one day at a time
Welcome

D
Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am quitting at midnight tonight...tomorrow is a busy day, take kids to school, go to gym, go to volunteer at school library, pick up kids, drive daughter to gymnastics, take kids to Toysrus as they need to get presents for 2 b-day parties tomorrow - finish it off by having dinner out and I look forward to a big ice tea...then home...

I guess just stay busy and drink water every time you feel the urge, that is what I am planning
Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am under the care of a psychiatrist who I see weekly. She laid down the law in our last session and told me that I had to stop drinking. She has seen my bloodwork and charts and has made a decision that I need to quit drinking.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I suggest quit the drinking first, then when your stronger, kick the butts.
Get to and AA meeting, they are free and everywhere. You need to be around others just like yourself and to know that you aren't alone.
Sobriety takes work and I second what bdiddy stated, that you can not do this aone.
Start with talking with your MD and have him review your lab work.
Good luck and keep posting.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I quit smoking about three years ago. It was harder for me than quititng drinking. But then again, it's something I did from the time I woke till the time I went to bed.

They're both bad, but I personally think one at a time is better. I would give up drinking first, so you have your other habit/addiction to call your guilty pleasure. Quitting both might be a bit of an overload.

Besides, you don't hear smokers saying, "This smoke just ins't the same without a drink." On the other hand, you DO hear drikers who try to quit smoking complain that it's hard to have a drink without a smoke. So quitting drinking first is the way to go. Also, once you have quit drinking and are again comfortable as the sober person you are about to become... in a few months/year/whenever... you will have the ammunition and empowerment of knowing your are very capable of beating an addiction. Your sobriety trophy will always be a reminder that you can do things you never thought you could.

Whatever you decide, your decision to choose sobriety is a wise one. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have to tell ya...Sobriety came easy compared to smoking. Man I really want to quit but keep going back to it. I have an Rx for Chantix that I have not filled..the side effects scare me which is stupid when you look at what happens to long term smokers. I just went and picked up a carton tonight. It SUCKS!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used Chantix. I had no side effects at all. Honestly, after week one of taking them, cigarettes tasted/smelled like burning rope and I was ready to give it a whirl without them, as they just weren't satisfying. I kept taking the Chantix and got the second box, but half way through that box of pills, just tossed them. I was no longer smoking, so why take pills that make smoking a bad experience? Didn't make sense to me.

One vice at a time though. Wish I quit drinking first now. But oh well...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

ok..I will give it a shot ..will call tomorrow and pick up the rx after work..I just read all this stuff about it bringing on anxiety and bad dreams. Suicide didn't sound too appealing to me either. BUT maybe the people that reported the side effects were all nutcases to begin with..thanks ISpy!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

You might want to check with your doctor about how to de tox from
alcohol safely.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Quitting in one hour - hope hope - I need this