Notices

Day 5 . . . Bad dreams

Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Day 5 . . . Bad dreams

I'm on Day 5 . . . Longest I've stayed sober in 10 years. It feels great! Last night I woke up in a panic because I dreamed I was with friends and started drinking. . . Does this happen to anyone? I dreamed we were sitting around drinking Cape Cods. I don't think I've even had a Cape Cod! Hopefully tonight I'll be able to get some rest. . .
Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Nissan87 View Post
I'm on Day 5 . . . Longest I've stayed sober in 10 years. It feels great! Last night I woke up in a panic because I dreamed I was with friends and started drinking. . . Does this happen to anyone? I dreamed we were sitting around drinking Cape Cods. I don't think I've even had a Cape Cod! Hopefully tonight I'll be able to get some rest. . .
hi Nissan.. Yep, drinking dreams are common Especially in the beginning!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

I can only agree with 24hrs, Nissan.
It takes a while for your sleep patterns to normalize, and drinking dreams, sleep problems or nightmares are quite frequent especially in the early days, It will get better, and after the shock in the first moments after awaking, when you realize that it was just a dream, isn't that a relief? Don't worry too much about them either, it's just your mind processing that you are dealing with an important issue.
Congrats on 5 days, and i hope you get some good rest soon!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Lionne and 24hrs. . . Yes, I think dealing with any important issue in your life will cause all kinds of dreams. Glad is was just a dream! Thanks for your responses.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common Nissan87 - I decided not to worry too much about them- that seemed to work out ok for me

D
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go 5 days !! awesome ! I cannot for the life of me fall asleep when I want too. But the process apparently messes with our sleep and dream cycles. No matter what I will not drink & I love the date we quit on 1/9/11 truly is a 911 !!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on 5 days... it does get better and better.

As for dreams....... I had crazy dreams, really, I did. They were SO vivid... lasted about two to three weeks, from what I can remember. They were not really drinking dreams, just strange dreams. Now, after just about 5 months sober I don't ever remember my dreams and sleep patterns are very good, especially compared to what they were when I was drinking or in early sobriety.

The key is to work hard on your sobriety... keep coming back to SR, read and post, it does work.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Like everyone else has said those dreams def seem to be common. I had them a lot the first 2 weeks and now being day 28 I still seem to sometimes be having them but not every night.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I quit smoking, I used to dream of smoking and wake up so upset with myself. Oddly, I haven't had dreams about drinking. Glad you're on your way! Good luck!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm at 5 days too Nissan. I dreamt last night I was on a train that was hijacked by a physic magician.
Don't let it worry you
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Had a drinking dream last night, at about 9.5 months without a drink. They kinda freak me out, because the shame and guilt and remorse I feel in my dreams are such vivid emotions. I even have entire conversations in my head in my dreams, castigating myself for breaking my streak and giving in to the impulse and so on. Even woke up in a sweat, all worked up over the matter.

Thankfully these dreams are less common than they were in the beginning. Nissan87, the dreams have lasted with me this long, but at least you can (if my experience is any indication) look forward to greater intervals between them in the future. Wishing you a good night's sleep tonight!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've had drinking dreams so bad I actually woke up and tossed my place expecting to find empty bottles. They are very common Nissan, and if I'm not mistaken mine started at around day 5 or 6. I always said the good thing about those dreams is the relief you feel once you realize it was only a dream!