Possibly OT - What Do You Do To Feel Beautiful?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Possibly OT - What Do You Do To Feel Beautiful?

Kinda/sorta related to codie topics like self-confidence, self-esteem, appreciating one's own uniqueness, etc...

I pretty much handle the parenting and all the "dirty work" of raising my 2 kids alone. I get almost no time alone ever. I was raised in a very dysfunctional home where it was considered taboo to pay any type of attention to anyone but my mom. Anything involving self-love, self-esteem, etc. was shut down immediately as it drew the focus away from her and her tragedies.

So, folks - ya got anything for me?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

facial-at home or in a spa
manicure, pedicure
massage
exercise
eat healthy
sleep a long time
yoga
wash my hair and blow it dry, style it
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can be positively transformed when I spend time with my hair and make-up. And a brisk walk gives me a healthy glow.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is not the response you were looking for, but it's an important aspect of the "feeling beautiful" thing for me.

Part of the dysfunction in my marriage was expressed by RAXH always complaining about the way I looked, specifically that I was too fat. I spent an incredible amount of time and energy on working out, losing weight, somehow thinking that if I only looked like he wanted me to, he'd quit drinking.

Out of that relationship, I now find that less stress has removed the wrinkles from my forehead and I feel more beautiful because I'm not hiding in some panic room in the middle of my head anymore -- I'm inhabiting my body, I'm enjoying it, I'm definitely not in the shape I was when working out was a combination of trying to please him and working off stress, but that's OK.

I think, for me, what level of interest I take in how I look, how much time I spend on that, is another thing that I have to reevaluate. So much of what I did was determined by his edicts, and I think right now, I'm letting the pendulum swing the other way just because I can. It's a childish rebellion, but I'm letting myself do it.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Cool post! A couple of years ago, I realized that I had stopped doing things for myself. Now, I do a few things to keep myself feeling beautiful. I can't afford a whole lot, so I go for maximum return on minimum investment. LOL!

I don't go out of the house in grubbies. Even if I am running errands and in sweats, I wear clean, fresh clothes and something that resembles an "outfit".

I watched some tutorials on YouTube about applying eye make-up. Now, most days, my eyes are all shadowed and lined. Love it!

Learned how to do manicures at home. I highly recommend the Incoco dry polish appliques. They are like little nail polish "stickers" so you have no dry time (great with kiddos!) and they last for over a week.

I invested in a good hair cut and a little color. It is a GREAT way to make an immediate, positive change. Got rid of the few gray hairs I had and brightened up my face. Also - with a good cut, you need to do less styling so it makes things easier.

These are completely external ways of beautification but I find that for me, personally, how I look guides how I feel and motivates me to work on the internal things.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm another for the 5 wk 'mental health' cut and color.

I view school as the first deep investment that I'm doing completely for myself.

so that's pretty pricey
but it keeps school in this .... sacred place in my head.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I faithfully get my nails professionally done every 2 weeks-costs me $15 each time. I also keep my hair trimmed and colored regularly.

Those are absolute "me" things that I do!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Probably doesn't apply to most of this group, but I've converted to older ways to shave using double edge razors and a brush and special soaps to make lather, aftershaves, etc. This is man-stuff here and the bathroom remains a powerful and strong fortress of self appreciation!
I also started reading again because I feel smarter when I do and being smart is attractive.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

I have been re-acquainting myself with my nice shirts.

Unfortunately, this means I'm usually a little colder during the day, but I feel so much better because I appreciate how I look.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lacey bras and pretty smelling lotions and earings and gloss, and baking soda whiting for my teeth...... toe earrings
Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I get up in the morning before my children and pray
Bikram yoga
think before I speak
laugh loudly
spend as much time as I can with my sisters. They remind me of how strong I am
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

These are the things that make me feel beautiful:
-carefully choosing what I'm going to wear and accessorizing
-bubble baths
-shaving my legs (even though nobody's gonna touch 'em!)
-perfume (Armani Code is my fave!!)
-getting my nails done every other week
-SMILING - it's almost always reflected back to you when you smile at someone!!
-working out - there's nothing like the feeling of working up a great sweat!
-getting my hair coloured regularly - and keeping my curls under control with a great haircut (people have always commented on my big, bouncy curls - I was blessed by the hair gods!)
Do I sound completely self-absorbed?