Notices

White Knuckling It: How to Cope?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

White Knuckling It: How to Cope?

Hi, this is my first post to the forum. My handle is Shih and I am an alcoholic. It has been a week, I have been going to AA. Last night and today have been particularly hard. I wanted to go out so bad. I went to two meetings today. The second meeting was a midnight meeting so it was close to the times the bars close and I was so happy that I stayed busy so I couldn't go to the bar. This is the first weekend in months that I haven't gotten drunk. But I am so edgy and the craving to go out is so strong, how do I make the craving go by easier?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shih

Cravings can be difficult. I spent much time here in my first few weeks - reading and posting, and helping others, helped me a lot.

I also found it useful to realise that my cravings were finite and that I could get through them...gradually I found they diminished.

You may find this link useful too
Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

You'll find a lot of health and support here Shih - welcome
D
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Shih and welcome!

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I'm with Dee spending time here helps

It will get easier.?..you are doing well.

Xoxo, lafemme
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Hello Shih,
I'm not "white knuckling" right now, but have a strong urge. Need to find something to occupy my mind. Good thing I'm a "hunt & peck" typer!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Howdy, welcome to our dysfunctional little family. I'm not sure if the cravings will ever completely away but I've found that coming here helps when you're feeling tempted.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

What's hap'nen Shih?

What helped me the most was replacing my idle time to think about how much I wanted a drink with another healthy productive activity. I hit the weights, some people paint, some read, and some post on SR. There's no right way to eat a Reese's.

Just remember the cravings won't kill you, but drinking could. Sure, those cravings are damn unpleasant and extremely persistent but they will eventually fade. It's kind of a like a sparkler, it burns hot and intense but only for a short period of time (it seems like an eternity but the reality is it's not).

Welcome!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been eating a bag of M & Ms a night. I am on day 16 and it helps! Welcome to SR, Shih. Posting here 2 weeks ago was one of the best things I've ever done.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hey there-

Great job!

"white knuckling" usually refers to not drinking, but not using any sort of program.

It sounds like you're going to AA meetings and of course using SR.

My advise would to also speak your thoughts at the next meeting you go to, ask for their advice as well, and you'll get the direction you require.

Since you're going to AA, may I ask if you have a big book? If so, start reading right away and find someone to be your starter/temp sponsor and get started on those steps. No time to waste in my opinion.

It's hard those first few days/weeks/months, but we've all been there. You never have to drink again. We can and do recover and you can be living proof of that.

Also, staying busy is very important, but don't work yourself too much. Rest and fluids are needed. Grab a book, go to a move, do anything it takes to and be willing and open to new ideas.

Kjell
Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Untoxicated View Post
What helped me the most was replacing my idle time to think about how much I wanted a drink with another healthy productive activity. I hit the weights, some people paint, some read, and some post on SR. There's no right way to eat a Reese's.
]

I also tried to actively DO something different (I first read here something v. powerful to me along the lines of "you can't think your way into different actions. you have to act your way into different feelings). So even if I didn't feel like it, I'd go to the gym, go for a walk with my kids, make a cup of herbal tea, vacuum. Bit by bit retraining my brain to seek different things. It has really worked. Now I absolutely crave other tastes/actions under stress.

Welcome and stick with us!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had the help and feedback of my wonderful addiction counselor and it made a great deal of difference. I also kept as busy as possible, and any time I was craving I'd walk the dogs! They were very happy as they got a lot of walks for a while.

I distracted myself with movie marathons (and Star Trek marathons) and cleaning the house. I played solitare and 'compeucher' til I was blue in the face too.

I also went to meetings a lot in early sobriety and that helped too. One of the really good things I also did to stop the cravings was to give thanks every day. I started counting my blessings and that took away the urge to drink. And the more I was grateful, the more I found to be grateful for. And the desire to drink went away.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, Shih,

I second Kjell's suggestions about getting to work on the AA program--among its other virtues, it will keep you busy!

There is also an excellent AA book called "Living Sober" that has a lot of good tips for those in early recovery--little suggestions not necessarily part of the "program" itself (though not inconsistent with it) that can make the first weeks and months a little more comfortable. If your group doesn't have a copy, ask one of the group members to order it for you (it costs about $3 something, I think).

Sometimes it DOES feel like white-knuckling at first, but it will get better, promise. Just don't drink, keep going to meetings, get a sponsor, and start working on the Steps!