Notices

DUI_#2_-_1-year_license_suspension_is_up

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

DUI_#2_-_1-year_license_suspension_is_up

I just realized that my one year license suspension, for dui #2 is up.

Yes, I still have to do a few things to get my license back (dui class, finish court ordered eval, get car registered, get insurance, get the interlock BAC device installed), but from a time standpoint, it's been over a year.

...and what a year it's been. Not being able to drive sure does put a lot of hardships on one, but I don't regret the suspension.

I needed to have my license taken away. I proved I couldn't handle the responsability of driving. I was a menace to society and very dangerous.

Also, not being able to drive really helped me with my recovery. I became patient, determined, and able to ask for help. It allowed me the time to really work on myself and pratice humility.

I did 4 months of outpatient therapy, over 90 AA meetings in 90 days (I still attend meetings), and I work full time. I never, not once, didn't get a ride or got stuck anywhere.

Yes, I'm looking forward to driving again, but looking back, this was exactly what I needed to get sober and to form a solid recovery base.

Kjell
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thats is great news!!..you must be excited to get your lic. back!!!...it's great you have take such personal responsibility for your actions..keep up the good work!!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Awesome news bro! My license suspension began on the day I went to court for sentencing; how did yours begin earlier? Just curious.

I'm 1/3 of the way through my suspension. Riding a bicycle in this recent cold Atlanta weather hasn't exactly been ideal (neither is taking MARTA, or Cobb or Gwinnett County Transit), but it is what it is, and I sure deserved it.

Hopefully you can get that other stuff settled soon and get back out on these streets. Of course, with Atlanta drivers, I've noticed my stress level is lower when I don't drive.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have 2 DUI's and was suspended for one year as well. I regret ever admitting I was an alcoholic because it has made the attempt of getting my license back harder. Most states want a person to be sober for at least a year to get the license back. I have been sober for years and still cannot get my license back. I was a menace on the road as well though & am lucky I never caused any accidents.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Awesome news bro! My license suspension began on the day I went to court for sentencing; how did yours begin earlier? Just curious.

I'm 1/3 of the way through my suspension. Riding a bicycle in this recent cold Atlanta weather hasn't exactly been ideal (neither is taking MARTA, or Cobb or Gwinnett County Transit), but it is what it is, and I sure deserved it.

Hopefully you can get that other stuff settled soon and get back out on these streets. Of course, with Atlanta drivers, I've noticed my stress level is lower when I don't drive.
I didn't fight the initial suspension once I was arrested (remember having to write the DOT within 10 days? I didn't do that on purpose), so my license was automatically suspended shortly after that. I'm so happy I did it that way, but either way has it's benefits for sure.

We don't have any public transportation this far north of Atlanta and biking isn't really an option either (narrow, curvy roads by the lake). Be grateful you have that option.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I have 2 DUI's and was suspended for one year as well. I regret ever admitting I was an alcoholic because it has made the attempt of getting my license back harder. Most states want a person to be sober for at least a year to get the license back. I have been sober for years and still cannot get my license back. I was a menace on the road as well though & am lucky I never caused any accidents.
Wow. How does one "prove" they are sober? Here in GA, the license suspension is set in stone. 1 year for two duis in 5 years. The judge cannot alter that in anyway.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What a healthy attitude, kjell! It's obvious that your recovery is on track. Some would just be angry about the consequences, not accepting that they, themselves, caused them. You, on the other hand, understand that no one was doing anything to YOU, you did it to yourself. That shows a glowing recovery, IMHO.

Congratulations on getting your license back!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How did you have a full time job when doing all the community service and outpatient things?

I'm in the same boat as you and I do feel like I was not responsibility with my driving. I can still drive right now but I don't feel comfortable with driving.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Makes me happy and determined to stay sober so this will never happen to me! Your story has helped me and I thank you for that.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! I had a suspended license at one point and went through some of the same mental processes that it sounds like you're experiencing. I wish you the best with your discovered wisdom and motivation. Sounds to me like you're on the right path. Thanks for telling us about this -- it speaks to many of us, I'm sure!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
How did you have a full time job when doing all the community service and outpatient things?

I'm in the same boat as you and I do feel like I was not responsibility with my driving. I can still drive right now but I don't feel comfortable with driving.
I was very lucky that one of my co-workers drive near my home. I set up a schedule and paid them each time I got paid. I made sure to pay enough so that they wanted to pick me up.

As far as getting to meetings, outpatient therapy, comm service, well...I got rides up there and asked for help. It's amazing what happens when I asked for help - I usually got it.

Oh and of course, a lot of walking/riding my bike.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think...perhaps..you should look into being a motivational speaker! It is one thing to
f@ck up but quite another to learn from it and change your whole way of life. You have been thru it KJell and came out shining on the other side.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats, Kjell,

You continue to inspire me with your positive attitude. Accepting consequences without self-pity. Life on life's terms.

You rock!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've had a great year Kjell - congratulations on getting your licence back

D
Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thank you Kjell for the inspiration! My one year suspension just began 1-02-11, so only 359 more days to go, right? I agree with you. I think in the end, this will have been very beneficial to my recovery. I'm so happy you'll be able to drive again soon! So, can ya give me a lift? Oregon's not that far!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

You've got a great attitude about the whole thing Kjell. Congrats man!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great attitude!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((Kjell))) - it's always great to read your posts Good for you on ending the year long suspension. You're living proof that we can do what we need to do, to get where we need to be

I have no doubt that you'll be doing all you need to do to get your license back, and will hold your own with the crazy Atlanta drivers. I'm glad I no longer have to drive more than 7 miles to get to work, and I live on the south side. With the weather we're supposed to be getting, though, I think I'll just stay home

You are AWESOME!!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

... inspiration and motivation for us all , Kjell !!

Congrats on your unbelievable progress, ....up in the ATL