Notices

Here I go again

Old 01-08-2011, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I go again

I've been a member of SR since 2009. I come here regulary and read yet despite a few serious attempts to quit I keep drinking.
Today marks my 3rd major attempt to stop drinking.
I am 28 years old and powerless over alcohol. I have no energy or enthusiasm left in my life and am really struggling to hold my job.
I was drinking 3 or 4 nights a week when I joined SR, now drink every night. I'm very scared of where it's leading if I don't stop.

3rd time lucky? Hopefully I want it bad enough now and can swallow my pride and get help.

Thanks for letting me vent :-)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am with you Beard, I joined awhile back as well. I understand the lack of enthusiasm... I have been drinking daily and heavily since I was 28, I am now almost 37. Today is yet another attempt for me as well. Let's do this.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Each recovery begins with one day. Best wishes to you!

What did your serious attempts involve? What kind of plan do you have now?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Beard.
best wishes to you both

D
Old 01-08-2011, 01:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee & Sleepie.
Veritas - last time I went and saw doc and got on antabuse. It worked for a few weeks, but I was super sensitive to it and could hardly eat without getting a reaction.
This time I want to get to AA and grow spiritually. I've always not been able to walk in the door of AA though. There's a begginers meeting where I live on Monday I'm going to try for.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Beard82
I'm 29, second time I try to stop. Today is day 8, with only minor sleepingproblems the first days.

Good luck with that meeting on Monday!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Beard,

Good for you for continuing to try. It took me 3 attempts and 3 seems to be the charm for me

Do you have a plan in place?

I found connecting with a specific group on SR (I post in the gratitude forum everyday... many way cool people there) is the #1 reason that I'm still sober (9 months now). Obviously there are many ways to get sober, but engaging with other people (f2f, here at SR, etc) worked for me.... I hope that 3 is a charm for you, too.

Keep us updated
Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[I was drinking 3 or 4 nights a week when I joined SR, now drink every night. I'm very scared of where it's leading if I don't stop.

I can tell you where this disease lead me, to to road of Hell! At the end of my drinking or you can call it my bottom it was more of a metal/spiritual bottom, and it was hell to get back out. I was empty inside, I could not drink enought anymore to fill the hole in me. I was in the process of losing the two things that I loved in this world my wife and my job.

Please believe this saying and I'm sure you here it thousand of times, Alcoholism is a Progressive Disease, this is so true!

Not everyone goes thru rehab, but for me it gave me a good start to sobriety and recovery then after rehab I choose AA/SR. The point is that choosing some kind of program is the way to go IMO. And what ever plan you choose work the program everyday to your best ability.

Welcome back Beard and keep posting & reading here it helps!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back and very glad you're giving it another go. I kept trying too and finally made it! I have over a year sober now and my life is better than ever.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Beard! Not everyone is ale to get it the first time around (or the second, or the third, and so on...) me included. Just keep trying
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

WB, Beard,

May I suggest you not "try for" that meeting on Monday, but rather make firm plans to go.

Let's hear it: "I'm going to my first AA meeting on Monday. It's a beginner's meeting, and I'm really looking forward to it."

LOL, we've all lied to ourselves about our drinking, we can certainly fake enthusiasm about going to a meeting!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
— Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You'll Go!)

Dr. Seuss has ALWAYS known his sh!t...Keep trying Beard..sometimes it takes a few tries but each time you learn more..and eventually..you find yourself on the sober side!! I am pulling for you!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome back Beard, never give up
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I read under the influence last night rather than going to watch my football team play (and drinking). Has anyone tried the hypoglyemic diet discussed in the book? The way they described the lack of energy, short temper, depression etc caused by blood sugar really resounded with me.
AA Meeting is on tonight, already feel horrible about it. I need to just grow up and do it.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Beard. Great to hear you so committed!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Beard82 View Post
I read under the influence last night rather than going to watch my football team play (and drinking).
LOL, when I read that, I was goin' WTF??? Then I realized you were talking about the book title, not that you were READING under the influence. (I was wondering how that was an improvement over watching football.) I didn't do the diet--I'm always skeptical about stuff like that, but that's just me. Certainly good nutrition helps with recovery, though.
AA Meeting is on tonight, already feel horrible about it. I need to just grow up and do it.
The meeting will be fine, just go. You will wonder why you were stressing over it, I promise.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
It was finally a job loss that did it for me, unfortunate but that's what it took. We always wait till we are backed against the wall to do something about ourselves at least for me. Problem is most of the time I drank nothing really happened it was just drinking, but when something did happen it was always pretty bad, job loss, dui, or something like that. I don't know how many times I sat at the bar thinking I gotta quit this, but never took any real action till something really bad occurred, and it something really bad for me always occurred. Hopefully you can avoid it.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Beard82 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I read under the influence last night rather than going to watch my football team play (and drinking). Has anyone tried the hypoglyemic diet discussed in the book? The way they described the lack of energy, short temper, depression etc caused by blood sugar really resounded with me.

I believe CarolD (the forum leader)has some experience or knowledge about that. Why don't you ask her about it. SHe often posts in the Two weeks and under thread in Daily Support forum, you can find her there I think.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....with my doctors permission...I followed that eating plan +
supplements I found in "Under" ...did it for about 6 months.

I consider it was very useful for me...my cravings were not a
serius problem.

I also combined that with AA....again...vital for me.

Forward we go..side by side
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome back Beard!

I too started out for the first time in Jan. 2010 and was able to stay sober for a few months but ended up right back at it. Came back in April and well.....sober, in recovery and enjoying all the things that come with my new life. I needed face to face support to help me make the changes and I too put away the pride and nervously made my move.

You can do this and you seem to have a good plan already in place. We are here for you and you have our support.