Notices

Advice on Fioricet

Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Advice on Fioricet

I need some advice on a drug called Fioricet. I have developed migraines and the pain is excruciating. This drug contains a barbituate, which were never my drug of choice, I was an opiate addict. What little experience I have with barbituates is that they make me sleepy, but nothing more. However, I know others have developed an addiction and I am scared to venture down this road. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with migraines without taking this kind of risk? This pain has me desperate, but I'd rather feel the pain than lose my sanity. Please help.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi pbubba
Welcome to SR

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? That would be my first port of call, especially if you think it's connected to a medication you're taking.

D
Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He recommended the medication but I said I'd like to research it a little more first since it has the barbituate in it. He said he has to say it can be habit forming but he hasn't seen anyone have issues with it. I told him about my issues and he still recommended the medication. I'm not convinced he really understands the gravity of my situation. He said it's up to me, all I have to do is tell him I want the script and he'll give it to me. I feel like he was a little too quick to make this available and I am just going to take my time making a decision and try to find an alternative.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pbubba,

I was having migraines for a while. We never got a real reason why they started up but I suspect a hormonal issue. Anyway, ask your doctor about this nasal spray. I don't recall the details, why or how it works, but it's not narcotic and one spray will stop the migraine.

Also, my brother uses a non-narcotic drug called Max Halt. It's prescription and very expensive but he says it saves his job. There's no high or reason to abuse either of these medications. So, ask your doctor. It can't hurt to give his office a call and ask.

Hope this helps and that you're feeling better soon.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you SO MUCH Lenina. I will look into both.